What's a room to do? How a pool-hall will survive a pandemic! Video w/ Jerry Matchin

keoneyo

Verified Member
Thank you Daniel Busch for this. And love you Jerry!!! Wish you would write some of your road stories for us.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Jerry is an impressive guy, and it's good to know that his place is on a sound footing and should survive. I'm certain that many other proprietors are not as prepared to outlive the dead zone we are in. Like so many things around us, the future of pool rooms, pool players and the game itself will be different for some time yet. Continuing regulations in the matter of personal distancing and limited occupancy will certainly alter the environment of pool rooms. Individually we hope that the places where we play will still be there when we can leave our houses.

warrenr

Verified Member
Hi All,
I went to Stiix in Ventura to interview Jerry and Peggy Matchin and here's what came out of it.

Stiix on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/StiixBilliards

Wishing all of you very well during these difficult times and I hope we find a new normal that is acceptable and enjoyable.
I wish our pool hall owner had the same out look about his pool hall as Jerry. Jerry come to Texas and buy our pool hall.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
daniel and jerry
very well done
jerry
your perspective and attitude is commendable
wish you all the success whenever you open
larry

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Jerry,

I really enjoyed your video and interview. I bet everyone here wishes we had a room like yours with an owner like you to go play with and hang out with. Your attitude on dealing with all this is admirable serves as a model. Obviously you are in a position to weather the storm, and good for you. (y) :giggle:

keoneyo

Verified Member
Jerry would you institute a policy of Mask wearing if your place was opened up? I would wear a mask just because it would keep me from touching my face. It would probably take some getting used to but just curious to see how if it would become a new norm.

brexit

Verified Member
From
Atlanta, GA
Jerry - this was really enjoyable to watch.

COVID-19 notwithstanding, I travel to the LA area quite often and will make a point to venture north to Ventura the next time I'm there.

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
Jerry would you institute a policy of Mask wearing if your place was opened up? I would wear a mask just because it would keep me from touching my face. It would probably take some getting used to but just curious to see how if it would become a new norm.

This question and many more will be answered on tomorrow's broadcast of a pool-room owner's symposium I have formed with Jerry and a couple of other notable figures. Please join us tomorrow Keoneyo.

Attachments

• APRIL-6-thumb.png
    APRIL-6-thumb.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 7

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Jerry,

I really enjoyed your video and interview. I bet everyone here wishes we had a room like yours with an owner like you to go play with and hang out with. Your attitude on dealing with all this is admirable serves as a model. Obviously you are in a position to weather the storm, and good for you. (y) :giggle:
You want to go to a good one pocket pool room, there is none better than Santa Monica every afternoon and all day Saturday. Action, all you can eat buffe.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Watching Busty and Alex play for 5 days I got to thinking. You can sanitize the balls. You can sanitize the rails. You can sanitize the ball return.
But what about the felt?
Seems like I remember one of the sponsors of the Derby a while back used a spray to clean the tables between matches. They would spray and wipe off. I wonder if Simonis or someone related to felt-making develop a spray that included a sanitizer.
Using a table after someone you dont know from Adam could be hazardous. Or can the table be heated enough like the billiard guys do.
Sometimes those tables get pretty warm. Im sure it doesn't kill everything but lessens the danger.
I definitely would start wearing a glove on my bridge hand.

keoneyo

Verified Member
This question and many more will be answered on tomorrow's broadcast of a pool-room owner's symposium I have formed with Jerry and a couple of other notable figures. Please join us tomorrow Keoneyo.
When you posted this it said May 6th at 11AM. When I went there you said it already happened. It also said April 6th on your picture. I am confused. When did this happen.

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
it doesn't kill everything but lessens the danger.

Soft (Porous) Surfaces
  • For soft (porous) surfaces such as carpeted floor, rugs, and drapes, remove visible contamination if present and clean with appropriate cleaners indicated for use on these surfaces. After cleaning: (emphasis added)
The problem with using a glove is that anything on the glove spreads to anything else touched. Your cue, your drink, your seat, your face.
This virus is hanging around anywhere just watching for that moment you walk through someone's aerosolized cough or sneeze and just waiting for us to, distractedly, touch our face.

I took my 85 year old step-dad to the hospital a few weeks ago to pick up my mother (non-virus related). He had on a surgical mask. As he was speaking with the discharge nurse - he pulled the mask down whenever he spoke to her so she could understand him. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
I enjoyed your interview which was positive and upbeat. While listening to your responses to Daniel Busch's questions it was clear to me that you will economically survive the pandemic. Why? There are usually two crucial factors for the on-going success of a pool room. You have both. First, as a room owner "you possess a genuine love of the game" and second, you own your building. If and when I get to the Los Angeles area, I will surely visit your pool room in Ventura. Stay safe.

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
I deleted a few posts that got into politics. This was a very cool interview to watch/listen to -- thank you very much both Jerry and Daniel!! You are both a blessing to pool!

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
I've decided to produce an actual series on this subject so, for what it's worth and without getting too political, here is part #2 of 'What's a room to do?' a continued interview with additional guests, Chris Swart and Gilbert Najm (Jerry Matchin included).

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
It seems that memberships will become a thing of the past, at least for a while. Full price table play, or increased price table time will be standard with few exceptions.

I like the idea of asking customers to wash thoroughly before checking balls/cues - and wash thoroughly before returning equipment. This is not to say staff shouldn't implement and adhere to any new policies in that way.
Any customers should pass a simple verbal screening as they enter - 'any cough, high temperature, recent exposure to any who might be ill?' (just as I was, picking up a prescription at the hospital the other day). This may well not improve anything but would send a message of seriousness and caution.

Regulars are more likely to be cooperative in taking sensible precautions than spur of the moment or infrequent players. I think it would be useful to have numerous signs up reminding people to wash and not touch their face.

I like the idea of having some posted (or even word of mouth) 'regulars' hours where one might be able to more reliably find a good game (and throw shade across numerous tables). As owners are likely to keep numbers down, such as every other table or lounge seating; knowing when you might best find a game would be useful in deciding when to get out of the house.