What would you do? Reyes-Deuel -2011 US Open

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
2011 US Open... .. Corey Deuel and Efren Reyes. Race to 4. It's tied 3-3. Efren just missed a easy safety, trying to put Corey behind the 1 ball. The ball drifted out and left Corey this. Reyes is up 4-1 in balls in the hill/hill game.

What would you do? What do you think Corey did?

coreybefore.jpg

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Can't see for sure...but the cut on the 1ball, using a bridge, looks too tough...so...

I'd probably either bank the 3ball straight back and draw my ball for shape on the 1ball...or I'd thin the 9ball, the cueball thus going into the side rail, and rebounding back and snookering up against the 11, 10, 13, 4 cluster.

- Ghost

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
One Pocket Ghost said:
Can't see for sure...but the cut on the 1ball, using a bridge, looks too tough...so...

I'd probably either bank the 3ball straight back and draw my ball for shape on the 1ball...or I'd thin the 9ball, the cueball thus going into the side rail, and rebounding back and snookering up against the 11, 10, 13, 4 cluster.

- Ghost
You might be right about the bank on the three ball but it looks like he can also position the cue ball for a better shot on the one ball.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Frank Almanza said:
You might be right about the bank on the three ball but it looks like he can also position the cue ball for a better shot on the one ball.

THats a very ridky shot If you make it you will win thr game. Duel is winning 4 to one. And this is yhe game for the money.

And you could leave him a bank ot the three ball. Or on one off the pther shots.

You leave him wide open. And I f he gets a shot he will run out. And Even thr combination looks prettey good too his pocket.

I would shot the 4 ball acctoss to my side and leave him on thr bottom Raill. In front off the chalk.

Ans a lot off players would bank the three ball. THiers is no dought.

I would say 80% off the players would bank the tree ball.

But I dont like the way the balls are.

I would losk the game up. Rather then to win it banking the three ball. And if some thing is off a little bite its 8 and out.

And it looks like a free bank. But its raly not. And Corry looks like he might cut thr one ball in.

If he can do that then the game should be his. If he doesnt miss.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I would pull one of Efren's favorite moves on him. He would have to hate it because he's always doing it to others to his great advantage. I would thin the 14 ball on the left side with LH english softly to go 2 rails hitting the bottom rail first and snuggling the cue ball into the alcove provided by the cluster. Efren loves to do that to others so he must think its a devastating move. It no doubt is.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
With a four balls to one lead and hill-hill, I would not want to be betting much on any one shot unless I was forced to. I'm definitely concerned about those four loose balls spread across the table kind of along the second diamond line of the table -- every one of them would potentially bank clean into Efren's pocket, so you have to be careful not to leave one of those. I wonder about cutting the 1-ball, but not to make it as much as "playing the cue ball" to end up tight underneath the cluster. If Corey was feeling theatrical, he could feign disgust that he missed the 1 :D :D

Like this:

Attachments

• Greenshot_2011-05-29_09-41-33.jpg
    Greenshot_2011-05-29_09-41-33.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 0

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Being down 4-1 in the case game, and having no reasonably productive shot from where I am, I will stall for time and hope something better will turn up before Reyes gets out. I will hit the 11 ball in the face, moving it across to my side of the table, and freezing the CB against the pink ball.

Deuel probably banked the 3 ball, or banked the 9 ball away and drew the CB down to the short rail. He might cut the 1 ball to make it, figuring this might be his best chance to save this game and match.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
I notice some of you guys are saying Deuel is up 4 balls to 1. He is not.

Reyes is up 4 balls to 1. I say so in my original post, plus the TAR graphic says the same thing.:)

I think people might be confused that they see my little text box where I wrote who's pocket it was, and then the look below where the TAR graphic is, and think that's the score for that person:)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
It doesn't look to me as though the 3-ball straight-back is laying well. If the CB were more toward the center of the table, the shot would lay much better.

I like Ghost's shot-- thinning off the ball near Efren's 2nd diamond and laying whitey into the stack. It would make me uneasy, though, for a player with Efren's CB control that close to so many balls.

My first shot choice was similar to Artie's. Bank that same ball into the pile, and with inside spin on the CB, let whitey drift up near the corner pocket on Reyes' side. That's probably what I would shoot here.

My guess is that Corey went for the 1-ball cut. As I recall, he was very unfortunate to lose that match late in the game.

Doc

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended
From
Detroit,Michigan
As difficult as it is to hit with inside-draw-spin I've always liked to shoot this shot in the right position. If the ball can be seen from here I may just like this shot. It accomplishes quite a bit and is very safe, if you don't hit the side point or scratch in the corner:D .

CD's Shot.jpg

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Cowboy Dennis said:
As difficult as it is to hit with inside-draw-spin I've always liked to shoot this shot in the right position. If the ball can be seen from here I may just like this shot. It accomplishes quite a bit and is very safe, if you don't hit the side point or scratch in the corner:D .

View attachment 3121

Yeah Dennis....of course all of us experienced One Pocket players have that shot in their arsenal, and shoot it often, but...in this particular spot, with the ball object ball sitting a little high, and the 7ball sticking out, be possibly betting the match on it, and "The Magician" shooting next..I don't think I'd shoot it here...conversely...

If I was gambling, instead of playing in a tournament, with hours more to play - then, I'd shoot it in a heartbeat.

- Ghost

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghost
im definately with the Ghost here, thin the 9 ball and roll onto that 4 ball cluster. Just might win the game from there. Keith

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
im half way between ghost and dennis
the 7 ball makes me alittle reluctant to hit dennis shot
since you cant control all the balls you may leave efren a chance to move the 7 close to his pocket and squeze thru the gauntlet and put you in a safe trap:mad: :mad:
ghosts shot while gets to see another inning still leaves the 9 for efren
SO if the angle is right i like something like this
move the nine to my side and leave the cueballl snuggled in the cluster
mm1.jpg

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I'd probably shoot the 1 ball :) and I think Corey did.;) Playing safe I'd move balls with the 4 ball and draw down to the rail and let him move the ones there.
Rod.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
lll said:
since you cant control all the balls you may leave efren a chance to move the 7 close to his pocket and squeze thru the gauntlet and put you in a safe trap:mad: :mad:
View attachment 3122

You cant leave the cueball thier ayr you dumpong ot commiting suicide. You can leave him a free bank too run 8 and out.

You have to leavr the cue ball were I said if you shoot that shot. And if you try too leave him behind the 14 ball and dont get thier.

You give him a free two railer too run out on the 3 ball two rails.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
lll said:
View attachment 3122

Her is a shot probably nobody would shoot but me. Its a very stong shot and Eferen would not like it.

From her. And the shot is real atrong. And unless you no the strength behind the shot. People wont play iy.

But this shot is worth its gold. And EFeren can complety do nothing. And Afyer he shootsfrom this position you have complete control off the game.

And the shot is banking the 14 ball two rails up the table on Eferen side off the table.

And wedge the cueball in behind the one ball. And behind the one ball he cant go to either sode because he will scratch.

Or leave you a baby shoot on the one ball. I was not going too give up the shot.

Because I no its a winning shot. And sothing can be done from that position.

And its a rasy shot too shoot. Because you will be facing the 14 ball. and you are real close too everything.

AS they say in the pool room that shot will sctrw you.And it does not matter whos shooting.from thier..

And belive me thier is nothing anybody can do from thier.

A good nick name is your in the jail house now. And it even too take a intentinal foul from her by just taping the ball. You can even tahe a foul back and lake it worse for him.

But the cue ball thier and you will see. Who strong and simple the shot is.

And nobody wants that. Even a player who never misses.

But this is a key shot and I learened it when it came up. And its a strong shot even if the score is 0 to o.

I hope you remember and get the full strength out off the shot.

I dont want too be seing Steve shooting that shot. If he does . I no he learned it.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
CaliRed said:
Corey decided to kick at this ball. Remember we're talking about him being down 4-1 in a hill-hill match in a major event. He had already made many kicks during this match, so he must have had major confidence in his ability to hit it good.

Thoughts on his shot selection?

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q5sNygSvThk?rel=0&hd=1" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="542" width="900"></iframe>

I thought Corry was ahead 4 to 1. But it was thee other way around.

And if he practicet this shot I guess it was a good shot.

And what made it good it worket. Would I have shot it no I dont belive in shooting up in the air.

He liket his chances and I must have thought this was his best chance too win the game.

And as good as he plays position . I would say he will run out.

But things happen. And they donr get out when they shold.

Thatsa tough one too fade for Eferen.

Lots off things can go wrong when you shoot this shot.

BUt it worket. Sp you either look like the greatest player. Or the bigest fool.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Apparently it was a dead carom. Just goes to show, how many of us would have noticed the shot (whether we shot it or not) if it was instead a dead combination facing Corey's pocket, but we all overlooked the dead carom. Personally, I usually get in trouble kicking at dead combos that lie out in the open like that -- with no "safety net" for the cue ball to land in, so a little miss hit and the ball doesn't fall and you can sell out. Even seeing it, no, I would not have shot it here.

In general Corey played a great tournament. I don't like how much time he takes looking at shots sometimes -- he'd be a good candidate for a shot clock -- but he played very solid all the way through. As I recall, it looked like he had this match with Efren won, until Efren used his magic to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.