What shot by Tony can turn this table around

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
My shot follows along, Artie's theory. I'm going to force my opponent to have shoot the shot I want him to. To bank the 9 ball after my shot.
Kicking behind the ball with a little speed, to get balls to my side, killing the CB with a pretty full hit and LRHE.

My shot has an aggressive element to it along with a very good defensive position.

View attachment 433279
It seems to me like the cue ball will have a hard time getting back to the rail like in your drawing. I could be wrong but I'll try it when I get to a table. With any speed it looks like it might head to the hole. Where's Whitey for a video.

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
It seems to me like the cue ball will have a hard time getting back to the rail like in your drawing. I could be wrong but I'll try it when I get to a table. With any speed it looks like it might head to the hole. Where's Whitey for a video.
I don't think his diagram was all that well done. However; looking at it more closely with his desired results in mind, it looks very possible with the CB likely to catch the bottom rail inside the (12?) ball by the corner. The speed on the CB would likely take it back up table at least a full diamond before resting.
If at the table, one still had strong confidence in being able to handle the CB - maybe ok to try, but seems a bit risky to me.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I was so close !

I watched a Justin Hall, Billy Thorpe match and it was shocking, to see how much one errant shot, threw Justins game into the toilet.
I like Billy Thorpe , he's a fine young player , but if I am honest , I think skill wise only, Justin plays at least 9/7 8/7 better than him." Except" for that complete mental breakdown after a missed shot! {and it was one of these fantasy type shots, that caused it ...although he had made several before it}.
For , me , that is the danger of these shots.
You get in trouble and make one, hooray! The rail cheers, and you feel relief and pride, and all warm and fuzzy, then you get a relatively free one and you make it, oh boy, the games easy, I can do whatever I want, I am a one pocket virtuoso, then you get one that looks free , miss it and lose the game from no where , and your mind is blown. Then your cash follows and it's time to sleep in the broken down car around the corner ,for another month.
Everybodys experience is different, that is just the one I have had a birds eye view of .
The beauty of the game, is that you get to shoot any shot you can imagine, the ugly of the game is that if they don't go in , you start thinking of Ramen and hot dogs as a treat.
I'm not saying this shot doesn't have validity, I am sure there are players who after 30 minutes of fooling around with this shot, could lay the cb on the ball on the bottom rail 80% of the time.
But, as I said , to me , it seems the long term outcome of shooting them , is not a positive.
Also for the vast majority of players who cannot dial the shot in, and learn to master it , from all angles ,it would only be viable as a Hail Mary shot, at best.

Last edited:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
My shot follows along, Artie's theory. I'm going to force my opponent to have shoot the shot I want him to. To bank the 9 ball after my shot.
Kicking behind the ball with a little speed, to get balls to my side, killing the CB with a pretty full hit and LRHE.

My shot has an aggressive element to it along with a very good defensive position.

View attachment 433279
I’m pretty sure I choose this shot without the diagram. Winner winner, chicken dinner

TxOnePocket

Verified Member
From
Arlington,Texas -
You're not moving balls to your hole! It's needed in this spot! I'm assuming this position is from Scott's break, this is what Artie did as good as anyone! Get out of the break aggressively/defensively.

It's not needed on this first return shot though, ticky the 3 ball and come off the back side of the 4 ball kicking it over toward the middle of the cluster, his return shot is most likely up table from this position. Scott is in this match because he has thrown power one pocket out the window and is out moving Tony, if it wasn't for some hero shots and Tony's long rail cross banks he would still be in the lead.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
looks to me like the heavy spin shot light as long as you catch above center on the object ball the cue ball can not help but get back to the long rail and let te spin take. I do not thin I would be confident enough to put that much pace on this shot to move the whole stack but just kick it over my way and let the cue ball ease down

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
looks to me like the heavy spin shot light as long as you catch above center on the object ball the cue ball can not help but get back to the long rail and let te spin take. I do not thin I would be confident enough to put that much pace on this shot to move the whole stack but just kick it over my way and let the cue ball ease down
I was thinking last night about what cb speed, would give the required result, and I think I would be going for about a table length lag . That should also be firm enough to bump a ball in front of my pocket if I hit it well.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/F8EB9y7jwkiywfZH7 enjoy!
This is such a beautiful shot to turn around the break that I just had to video it, I felt compelled to share it.
I know there is a controversy about whether the shot can be done as mr3c depicted it, but that is between you guys and him! I do not and will not get involved, otherwise I would have, but it is not really my demeanor.

I do wish we had more wwyd's involving the shot after the break.
thanks for your idea of turning this into wwyd mr3c. Whitey

Last edited:

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
This is such a beautiful shot to turn around the break that I just had to video it.
I know there is a controversy about whether the shot can be done as mr3c depicted it, but that is between you guys and him! I do not and will not get involved, otherwise I would have, but it is not really my demeanor.

Excellent shot, Whitey. Given the distance between the 7 and the side rail, as well as the angle of approach, that's the only plausible outcome.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
took this to the table and found that kicking the 7 and getting to the bottom rail is way to easy to execute for it not to be the shot I did not hit the stack I moved the 7 in front of the pocket and froze on the 10 first try. second try I tried a firm hit to move ball and hit the 10 and moved it but sold out a bank that did not go . did not like this result as much as the finesse shot. the thing to recognize is the 10 ball is closer to the center of the table and the center ball hit drags the cue ball to the bottom rail before the 10 so as long as your speed is good the deflection works perfect
chris

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
This is such a beautiful shot to turn around the break that I just had to video it, I felt compelled to share it.

Thanks Whitey for taking the time to video this. It's much appreciated by me and all the others here I'm sure. Hope to see you soon

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
looks to me you can play this combo full so the 3 doesnt go in to the 9 and send the cue ball up table with him doubled up on the balls by his pocket and alot of balls around your pocket
View attachment 433277

Larry, I'm not so sure this is a viable option here because you'll need to cut the 5 ever so slightly to get the CB to drift up-table. This could lead to a double kiss and maybe an unpredictable/undesirable outcome. But if the angle permits it, your option would be viable.

I really like Whitey's shot by far because of its simplicity. Otherwise, the passive option would be to come off the 5 and leave him frozen to the back of the 7 to restrict his options, including the bank on the 9 since the 5/6 would be in the way when everything comes to rest. Not a great reply to the opening break by any means because he can get out of it easily and still leave you in an awkward predicament.