What is your Ali - Frazier one pocket match ?

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
Preferably if it was recorded on video.

Up for consideration:

- Allen Hopkins vs. Steve Cook, the finals of the 1991 Legends of One Pocket. This match had all of the suspense and drama one could wish for.
- Scott Frost vs. Alex Pagulayan, 8 ahead in Vegas, 2015. It's a superb match. It took Alex 5 days to prevail.
- Danny Smith vs. Gabe Owen, 7 ahead, 2015. After 5 days and 120 games played they were dead even.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Preferably if it was recorded on video.

Up for consideration:

- Allen Hopkins vs. Steve Cook, the finals of the 1991 Legends of One Pocket. This match had all of the suspense and drama one could wish for.
- Scott Frost vs. Alex Pagulayan, 8 ahead in Vegas, 2015. It's a superb match. It took Alex 5 days to prevail.
- Danny Smith vs. Gabe Owen, 7 ahead, 2015. After 5 days and 120 games played they were dead even.
A much shorter set, but amazing. I think the Danny Smith v. Efren in one of those make it happen events in 2015 needs strong consideration.

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
A much shorter set, but amazing. I think the Danny Smith v. Efren in one of those make it happen events in 2015 needs strong consideration.

Thanks Dave. This is a truly amazing match indeed. It tops the finals of the 2015 MIH (Danny’s game was a little weaker in the finals which was enough for Efren to prevail).

It also just occurred to me that the finals of the third Legends event won by the young Shannon Daulton was also a great match!

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Thanks Dave. This is a truly amazing match indeed. It tops the finals of the 2015 MIH (Danny’s game was a little weaker in the finals which was enough for Efren to prevail).

It also just occurred to me that the finals of the third Legends event won by the young Shannon Daulton was also a great match!
You're welcome. This match was at the height of Danny's super powers.

You just reminded me of a match between Efren and Shannon where the first game or two was the greatest moving/execution game. I'll try to find it.

Found it:.

Another great set that I haven't seen online anywhere was an old match between Buddy Hall and Jeremy Jones. JJ played perfect for the first 3 games than things turned in Buddy's favor to get to hill-hill. The final game was amazing, one great shot/move after another. The Beard joined commentating for the last game, if I remember correctly, that just made it better.

Last edited:

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
Dalton Efren has been one of my favorite matches for a long time. I love the gentile and danny smith match from derby scot frost and denis in minisota was preaty amazing and hard not to add chohan Denis for epic battles. Two other mathes that where fantatic Corey duel Pagulayn finals of the us open when it was back east the one year and corey duel butumante derby city both corey played flawless pool for the first 2 or three games depending on the set

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
... You just reminded me of a match between Efren and Shannon where the first game or two was the greatest moving/execution game. I'll try to find it.
I played that tournament at Galveston in 2009. Henderson was there, along with Artie Bodendorfer and maybe a couple of other guys from 1p.o. It was a very opulent tournament, with the promoter including bar pool and even 3C. He spared no expense. Unfortunately they didn't get the fan attendance that they'd hoped for.

Shannon had beaten Reyes earlier in the tournament. This match was on the TV table, and played night and day differently than did the tables in the tournament area. Being early in September there was high humidity on the Texas coast, so the tables played short, and in other ways you'd imagine. However the TV table was bathed in very strong lighting, which made it play very fast and long. Going from tournament room to TV arena must have taken some time to get used to. I watched a few games in that arena, and it was HOT.

Nice of you to load and post the match.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Finally found my tape of that Buddy Hall v. Jeremy Jones match so here are the details:

The 1998 World One Pocket Championship

Feb 11-15 in Baton Rouge, LA.

I'm going to try to contact Pat Fleming to see if he can add this to Accustats' YouTube channel. Fingers crossed.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Finally found my tape of that Buddy Hall v. Jeremy Jones match so here are the details:

I'm going to try to contact Pat Fleming to see if he can add this to Accustats' YouTube channel. Fingers crossed.
Yeah, I have a videocassette of that match, but I have no way to copy it to digital. Like you say, it was a good match. JJ was still fat then!

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Yeah, I have a videocassette of that match, but I have no way to copy it to digital. Like you say, it was a good match. JJ was still fat then!
Yes, he looks like a completely different person...but he sure could play. I sent a request to Pat to load this match to Accustats' YouTube channel.

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
You're welcome. This match was at the height of Danny's super powers.

You just reminded me of a match between Efren and Shannon where the first game or two was the greatest moving/execution game. I'll try to find it.

Found it:.

Another great set that I haven't seen online anywhere was an old match between Buddy Hall and Jeremy Jones. JJ played perfect for the first 3 games than things turned in Buddy's favor to get to hill-hill. The final game was amazing, one great shot/move after another. The Beard joined commentating for the last game, if I remember correctly, that just made it better.

I do remember watching that one. It's from 1998 Legends event. In one of the games Buddy does not spot up a ball he pocketed in a non-scoring pocket. Been always wondering whether that was intentional :)

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO

Pat agreed to load this match with the help of Goldy who now works for Accustats. Not sure when, but very excited.

Last edited: