What is the rule??

TomRoden

Verified Member
I need one ball. My opponent needs two. But two balls were pocketed in the side during my inning. So there's only a cue ball on the table. Its still my shot.
Do we spot one ball or both?
I said one, my opponent said 2.( big surprise)
What's the rule?

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
If they were stripes then only one, if solids then both are spotted.
Kidding aside I've never seen this but logic would be that both balls are spotted. Will wait for someone that really knows.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
What is the rule??

I need one ball. My opponent needs two. But two balls were pocketed in the side during my inning. So there's only a cue ball on the table. Its still my shot.

Do we spot one ball or both?

I said one, my opponent said 2.( big surprise)

What's the rule?

So, you sank your 7th ball and also 2 more balls in the side/s in one shot? Pretty tricky lol. I also agree that they would both be spotted.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
They're some old threads about this.
If you owed one to start your inning and ran the table dry, knocking one in the side somewhere along the way I thought that the one that went in the side came up first.
But the rules guys said both at once. :frus Which I thought ridiculous. :D
Rod.
P.S. I can understand if both went in during the run that both should come up.
I.m sure the rules guys will pile in here soon and tell us what's what.:)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
If you owed one to start your inning and ran the table dry, knocking one in the side somewhere along the way I thought that the one that went in the side came up first.
Rod.
I.m sure the rules guys will pile in here soon and tell us what's what.:)[/QUOTE]

i dont consider myself a "rules guy"......:heh
but according to our onepocket rules
both get spotted at once
9.2 Any penalty balls owed by the shooter, or balls pocketed in a neutral pocket, are to be spotted at the end of the shooter’s inning. However, if a player runs off all the balls on the table without reaching a winning score, then all such balls are spotted immediately (all at once, not one ball at a time), and the shooter continues their inning. At no other time in One Pocket are balls spotted during any shooter’s ongoing inning.

TomRoden

Verified Member
original poster

original poster

I didn't owe any balls. during my inning (two separate shots) I pocketed a ball in the side twice. (they were frozen, first tick put in one,next shot put in the second) I know there's a rule that addresses this specific instance.
It ended by us agreeing on spotting both balls.(he's bigger than me) I played a decent safe and waited for him to make a mistake.
But it got me wondering about the "Official" rule on this particular circumstance.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
tom
if all the balls were gone and you were still at the tableand there where 2 balls in the side pocketwhich part of the rule dyou not understand......:confused:
if a player runs off all the balls on the table without reaching a winning score, then all such balls are spotted immediately (all at once, not one ball at a time), and the shooter continues their inning

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
When we were assembling our One Pocket rules I consulted a lot with Grady and Freddy. Cant' do that anymore :( If I recall it was Grady who said that spotting them all up at once was the way to go.

Spotting them up one at a time would just be too much like shooting fish in a barrel -- just imagine, what would be the significance of owing a bunch of balls for a good shooter like Scott Frost for example if they spotted up one at a time.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
If both balls needed to be spotted, and it was time to do it, it would be hard to justify spotting one and leaving the other one in the side pocket.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
both spot, you could play position on the common push through double bank shot that gets hit a lot after a scratch.

im curious what others would play position on in this spot, do you think it would be better to play for the bank? that seems like it would be too hard to get on just right. i suppose it depends on the shot you currently have.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
both spot, you could play position on the common push through double bank shot that gets hit a lot after a scratch.

im curious what others would play position on in this spot, do you think it would be better to play for the bank? that seems like it would be too hard to get on just right. i suppose it depends on the shot you currently have.

Here's the one I'd play for. Fairly easy shot after a little practice.
When missed the three balls often line up for cover.
Rod.
P.S. Extreme 3:O Clock. No draw.

Attachments

• ScreenShot008.jpg
    ScreenShot008.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
What is the rule??

Rod.

yeah!! That's a new one for me too. Thanks Rod!!

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
Rod.
I.m sure the rules guys will pile in here soon and tell us what's what.:)

9.2 Any penalty balls owed by the shooter, or balls pocketed in a neutral pocket, are to be spotted at the end of the shooter’s inning. However, if a player runs off all the balls on the table without reaching a winning score, then all such balls are spotted immediately (all at once, not one ball at a time), and the shooter continues their inning. At no other time in One Pocket are balls spotted during any shooter’s ongoing inning.

............back in the 60's I saw it played the way You speak of....and every other way...imaginable....but, each scenario was usually settled after a lengthy argument over the rules......

......it is comforting...to know someone finally put it down on paper.....

......equally comforting is knowing that......even if We don't all... agree with all of the rules.....We can all play within the rule parameters set down before the match....

......they all spot at once....

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
There are two "standard" locations to play for when needing both ball which are frozen on the spot. The force shot is usually used only when the shooter has ball in hand in the kitchen.

The first of these two images offer the easiest and safest path. The second is also a good option but requires a more forceful hit.

Attachments

• IMG_0803.JPG
    IMG_0803.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 0

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
Rod.

......I like that type of 2 rail shot so much....that, I practice it...incessantly (at various speeds).........and is mandatory in my Pre-game warm up (to see how the table and rubbers react)......

....I use the shot from various positions on the table....throughout.....the game.....(quite often it will offer a greater cue ball control....in lieu of the long cut)....

......I always like to know...if the rubber is running long or short (some tables the angle lengthens after the second rail...some shorten-up).....

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
There are two "standard" locations to play for when needing both ball which are frozen on the spot. The force shot is usually used only when the shooter has ball in hand in the kitchen.

The first of these two images offer the easiest and safest path. The second is also a good option but requires a more forceful hit.

Here is the second option.

thanks tom....:)