What does t rex need to beat the lion ?

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
You can't take a match that was played at 9/8 and try to identify the opportunities where going to 7 would have factored. It's a totally different game, totally different mindset. I once ended up five games loser getting 9/8 the next time we played 9/7 and I ended up 15 games winner. I played with a lot more freedom going to 7 than I did going to 8. I have also won giving up 9/8 and then adjusted to 10/8 and won again. We then adjusted to 9/7 and I lost.

It is amazing how much difference that one ball extra affects the player getting spotted.
I have lost a boat load of games sitting on 7, I’ve also won a bunch with opponent on 7 or the game ball. Going to seven is a huge difference.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
What it will take for Tony to beat Alex or anyone else is to find a lifetime coach. A coach would tell him to get rid of the image, T-Rex, lose some weight, quit gambling on outside interest, hire a manager for his money and then maybe I will put my money on him. Myself, I want Tony to succeed for my own personal interest. Once he is in the HOF, I can sit around the pool room and say I knew him when he was just a kid.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
this is just loony. the whole thing.

yeah, if you're playing for more money than what most people make in a year, maybe stay off the phone (but you don't know for certian what he's doing there and why...) but most likely, for the most part, probably a valid point.

quit being too heavy. quit smoking. quit sports betting. quit hitting haymakers. quit being blah, blah, blah, blah......

this fukn guy plays 4 balls above the best player on this site and you pretend to know what he needs to do or quit doing or otherwise.....

quit being tony. yeah....that might work. sure.

stop it.

alex is just the best player on the planet right now.

the original premise: what does trex do to need to beat the lion? my retort: what does anyone have to do? c'mon. too critical.

--------

if i were tony chohan and reading this stuff, wouldn't like it. would you?

Last edited:

TxOnePocket

Verified Member
From
Arlington,Texas -
this is just loony. the whole thing.

yeah, if you're playing for more money than what most people make in a year, maybe stay off the phone (but you don't know for certian what he's doing there and why...) but most likely, for the most part, probably a valid point.

quit being too heavy. quit smoking. quit sports betting. quit hitting haymakers. quit being blah, blah, blah, blah......

this fukn guy plays 4 balls above the best player on this site and you pretend to know what he needs to do or quit doing or otherwise.....

quit being tony. yeah....that might work. sure.

stop it.

alex is just the best player on the planet for the last 10 years

the original premise: what does trex do to need to beat the lion? my retort: what does anyone have to do? c'mon. too critical.

--------

if i were tony chohan and reading this stuff, would't like it. would you?
fixed the Alex part!

As for Tony and his phone, its part of his generation and the suggestions to atop messing with it are from " older folk "

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Yes he could, but lately many people have been doing that. However, there are certain situations when you just have to give them a chance to get into your pocket, 9/7 is one of them. For those who may not know the difference between 9/8 and 9/7 it's 113 variables at last count. Better yet ask the players that experienced spotting a player 9/8 then adjusted to 9/7.

Bill Incardona

I must have missed the 113 variables lesson. Could you elaborate Dr. If you get a chance?

It's how many extra things a player at some point will be concerned about with their shot selection, that alone covers mostly all of the variables. Plus there is the extra pressure it puts on the player giving up the spot along with the lessening of pressure one experiences getting the spot. Then there is the psychological effect which at times takes a player away from his game. And also there is the feeling of doubt that enters a player's mind that's generously making such a change in the handicap that at times puts your mindset in the "foolish stage" Yes, these are all variables that will at some point alter a player's way of thinking which in turn will at times affect a player's ability to execute. Pagulayan may be a beast but he's a "human beast"

Bill Incardona

good to see you back bill. hope you are well and on the mend. been missing your indisputable expert insight on staight forward things....

but....i think this.....is a lot of bullshit. love to see the arithmetic progression valuation on that....with a sequence for the psychology of a player [is this a bell curve thing?].....

lol. maybe we can put andrew wiles on it....

;)

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Yes I got that it only made sense from a backer perspective. Just didn't see you from that perspective.

I’ve put so many players in action over the years it ain’t funny.

That was a rule of mine that no one told/taught me. I could see the players that were strong upstairs always played hard for the money and it didn’t matter who’s money.

When I opened up the first place I had (the all night place) I just couldn’t see beating the people that were regulars and pissing them off where they would go somewhere else.

Example: The Gypsies were customers and they played the machines. I would loan them money. All of a sudden they aren’t around for a week or so. I ask somebody and they said they’ve been hanging out at Bogarts.

I go over there and ask the chief how come they aren’t coming in, did I do something?

He tells me they owe me too much money to come play the machines.

I told him “Listen, you guys eat way to much food and drink…NOT…to come around. If you hit something big on the machines and need it then, don’t pay me what you owe till you feel right but don’t let owing me stop you from coming in.

They were there the next day and they were the only one that aren’t in my “book” today. They always paid. 😱

So that’s how I started staking players and I’ve put a lot of good ones in the box. Now when Road players came around I felt it was my civic duty to try and bust them so they didn’t prey on the locals. That’s how a lot of them became friends to this day. I think I always treated everyone right because win or lose I took care of them.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I’ve put so many players in action over the years it ain’t funny.

That was a rule of mine that no one told/taught me. I could see the players that were strong upstairs always played hard for the money and it didn’t matter who’s money.

When I opened up the first place I had (the all night place) I just couldn’t see beating the people that were regulars and pissing them off where they would go somewhere else.

Example: The Gypsies were customers and they played the machines. I would loan them money. All of a sudden they aren’t around for a week or so. I ask somebody and they said they’ve been hanging out at Bogarts.

I go over there and ask the chief how come they aren’t coming in, did I do something?

He tells me they owe me too much money to come play the machines.

I told him “Listen, you guys eat way to much food and drink…NOT…to come around. If you hit something big on the machines and need it then, don’t pay me what you owe till you feel right but don’t let owing me stop you from coming in.

They were there the next day and they were the only one that aren’t in my “book” today. They always paid. 😱

So that’s how I started staking players and I’ve put a lot of good ones in the box. Now when Road players came around I felt it was my civic duty to try and bust them so they didn’t prey on the locals. That’s how a lot of them became friends to this day. I think I always treated everyone right because win or lose I took care of them.

I like the term, civic duty, to explain why you did what you did. I was usually one of the best players to hang around any of the local rooms I played in, and when a stranger came in to play, I felt I had to give them some action. I played all games fairly well, and if I got beat at 9 ball or one pocket, I would move them over to the snooker or billiard table. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not, but the important thing was, I was in action and they got played.

The list of players I have matched up with is a long one, and quite a few are in our Hall of Fame, including your father in law.

Last edited:

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
I like the term, civic duty, to explain why you did what you did. I was usually one of the best players to hang around any of the local rooms I played in, and when a stranger came in to play, I felt I had to give them some action. I played all games fairly well, and if I got beat at 9 ball or one pocket, I would move them over to the snooker or billiard table. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not, but the important thing was, I was in action and they got played.

The list of players I have matched up with is a long one, and quite a few are in our Hall of Fame, including your father in law.
You get it and always have.

John, you’ve always been the kind of guy any room owner wants around.

For anyone to have an example of what I said about…betting on/staking someone with a little the worst of it but mentally strong…

You are a PERFECT example.

Good to see you doing well and better every day. ❤️

BRLongArm

Verified Member
+4, +1, -2, +5. Alex outplayed Tony three of four days. This format condemns anyone who falls behind.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
+4, +1, -2, +5. Alex outplayed Tony three of four days. This format condemns anyone who falls behind.
even if they had played races to 9
first to 3 sets wins
alex would have won.
as a fan i like the best of a certain number of races since each race starts at 0-0
so if there is a beat down in one set the loser is only down one set not 5 games for example
not sure which format i would want if i was gambling though

Renegade_56

Verified Member
I can't see any format change made that applied to this recent match would have resulted in Tony winning being a better format. He clearly got beat.

Kybanks

Verified Member
Its stroke play versus match play. A race to 36 will always carry over a bad day to the next, where straight races to 9 best out of 5 sets will put a bad day behind the player.

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
Seems to me that Alex would be the favorite in most any dynamic. He was playing in Tony's house giving a ball up which Tony seemed to not capitalize on as he might have. Tony nearly scratched on the opening break and did scratch on his second break. He found his break quite a bit later but it came back to bite him a couple times in the next couple days.
A race to 36 seems to benefit Alex more given, size, health (diet/sleep), affecting stamina.
Then there's 'intent' which is incredibly difficult if not impossible to truly discern - but I lean to Alex as being more focused and driven.
Alex was prepared to win. Tony seemed to be prepared to compete.