What does t rex need to beat the lion ?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Seems to me that Alex would be the favorite in most any dynamic. He was playing in Tony's house giving a ball up which Tony seemed to not capitalize on as he might have. Tony nearly scratched on the opening break and did scratch on his second break. He found his break quite a bit later but it came back to bite him a couple times in the next couple days.
A race to 36 seems to benefit Alex more given, size, health (diet/sleep), affecting stamina.
Then there's 'intent' which is incredibly difficult if not impossible to truly discern - but I lean to Alex as being more focused and driven.
Alex was prepared to win. Tony seemed to be prepared to compete.
wish i could find a backer to let me "compete" for $100,000
just sayin

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
The reason I have posted what I have is because there is no way I am going to put shade on the way Tony played, he played great. It was a great match!
The table played great, and the pockets played harder than any Diamond I have ever seen. Many of Tony's game winning balls rattled on a bank that otherwise on any other Diamond table it would of gone in for the win.
Whitey

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
The reason I have posted what I have is because there is no way I am going to put shade on the way Tony played, he played great. It was a great match!
Whitey
Whitey,
not that you were specifically addressing me, but me addressing your comment, which might possibly be including me:

I don't think anything I said really could be taken as personal critique of character. Any of those dynamics I mentioned last in this thread, could change at the whim of the individual. I am of the personal opinion that Tony does not prepare as well as Alex - or did not this time.
This might* even say, in some interpretations that I believe Tony is a more talented player.

*lost a hun' for one interpretation

Renegade_56

Verified Member
There were way too many rattled balls by both players. I watched every minute of the match in real time and I honestly couldn't say either player was hampered more by the tight table. I can say I think there was way too much of it. The table set-up didn't add ANYTHING to this match, except I'd bet at least a few extra hours of play time.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Whitey,
not that you were specifically addressing me, but me addressing your comment, which might possibly be including me:

I don't think anything I said really could be taken as personal critique of character. Any of those dynamics I mentioned last in this thread, could change at the whim of the individual. I am of the personal opinion that Tony does not prepare as well as Alex - or did not this time.
This might* even say, in some interpretations that I believe Tony is a more talented player.

*lost a hun' for one interpretation
I have to rely on what the commentators said. Scott; "many think Tony does not work on his game but he really works hard on it". The commentators also mentioned that Tony has won quite few OP tournaments lately. They also said he has thinned down.

BrLongArm stated Tony plays $100 a game, and other than that he sits for 4 or 5 hours and not hitting balls. Well, it is probably pretty hard for him to match up. I hardly ever went into the Palace and hit balls, unless no one was in there. That was the way with all the players back then, they were not there to practice.
Some players do not like to practice, not one to practice stated; "Keith McCready"!
So you have to know this to better understand Tony!

For me, I can not say it is better to practice a lot, or it is better to match up a lot. Alex's dad told him he would have to lose 200 times before he could win. Alex would lose and then come back when he thought he was ready, and then win, early years of course.
Alex obviously is a much better OP player than he use to be, he obviously work on it. That shows just how much Tony has also improved over the recent years.
For me, it is all in the match up, of which in this case I was not a fan.
Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
5 Rack Ghost

A one pocket proposition game in which the player is charged that within 5 racks of balls they need to pocket a predetermined x-number of balls in their declared foot corner scoring pocket, to win the game. There are no requirements placed upon the break, and thereupon the cue ball is played from where it lays, unless a -1pt. pocket scratch occurs then the player receives ball in hand behind the line, and the rack continues. Thereafter a scratch -1pt., a foul -1pt. or any miss shot ends the rack. A ball scored on the break counts. Neutrally pocketed balls (including the other foot pocket) and / or the owed ball are all spotted once all other balls have been scored.
Note; this is also popularly played as a mini tournament format by multiple players with a buy back in. The highest scoring player is the winner.

Game Variations:
1). A break scratch or any foul ends the rack,
2). After break BIH - anywhere, break scratch -1pt., rack continues,
3). Multiple players - highest score wins.
* Any further/or alternative rules of play are to be determined between the opponents, or by the event administrative authority *

Game rule written in mini form charged by Steve Booth
Game rules developed by OP.org members
Written by; Dennis ‘Whitey’ Young

Not adopted, for it is pretty well know by now that Steve will not adopt anything that I have wrote and developed, he just will not come out and say it. So I have to once again re-post this game rule writing for members. Unless he can get past what he has against me, then this is the way it is, to stifle me.
Rest assured this is the last time I will post a game rule writing for the benefit of the members, for this is an administration area to inform members of the other games of One Pocket.

-----------------------

During the challenge match the commentators stated that Alex can be seen practicing 5 Rack Ghost all the time. So for those new members or members that do not know what this game is I posted up the game rule writing that was developed.

It is an all offensive game of OP, no strategy, no defense, just break the balls and start pocketing balls. It maximizes the pool disciplines of stack play, combinations, touch, positioning, running balls, banks, and pocketing of balls.

The main game rule of a pocket scratch is -1 pt and BIH-BTL, was a game that I learned was popularized in later years by Nick Varner.

Variation 1) is the highest standard presenting the most difficulty form of this game, for on the break the cb is played from where it lies, and any scratch or foul ends the rack. It would be propositioned at a lower ball count.
This is the variation that the participating members choose to play and put up videos on the thread. That thread is buried in the back pages some where, but it has a tremendous amount of info.

Variation 2) It has to propositioned to a higher ball count, for the player breaks to open up the balls more, and has ball in hand anywhere. The simplest form of the game, for you always have a shot after the break.

Variation 3) is for tournament mini play. DCC is recent past played it by the main version. In our MOT I would suggest variation 2, BIH anywhere.

Here is the basic premise of the game. You proposition a guy that in 5 breaks of racks that they cannot make, say 12 balls for example (variation 1) That is it! The guy jumps at it, then finds out that wow this is not that easy. I first seen it played at the Palace in Bellflower '70 by a pretty decent player trying to make 10, he never made it. At that time the game was a well keep secret among pool hustlers.

For practice, I would suggest variation 1, but if you get too frustrated then break the same but take BIH - anywhere for awhile.

Whitey

Last edited:

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
A couple years ago I ran into Alex at Griffs in Las Vegas. He was practicing and recognized me from years back when he came through Vancouver. Note CF shaft which he said he could never get used to. Anyway a couple of locals challenged him some One Hole Ghost. He needed to get to 43 or 44 (might have even been 45). He lost for first 2 or 3 and they were all high fiving each other. Alex wouldn't quit. I took some of the rail action and made a nice little score. Once he got going their mood changed. His pattern play and shape from banks is very impressive to watch live. Really knows how to use an edge of a pocket to squeeze out better shape.

At that game. There is no better. The heavy weight champion of the World is a 5 foot 3 in, 130llb Filipino with a Canadian Passport.

1667490815038.png

baby huey

Verified Member
To be a champ you got to beat the champ. I don't see anyone beating Alex anytime soon as long as he stays hungry and focused. Maybe just maybe Fedor might try to learn the game at a high level as he has the firepower to possibly play with Alex. I think he could do it but he needs action and time playing One Pocket.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
There were way too many rattled balls by both players. I watched every minute of the match in real time and I honestly couldn't say either player was hampered more by the tight table. I can say I think there was way too much of it. The table set-up didn't add ANYTHING to this match, except I'd bet at least a few extra hours of play time.
I was watching the Ronnie/Danny match and this post popped into my head. There seemed to be lots of sloppy shots that went in on those bucket pockets on that Centenial table. I personally won’t play on a bucket table. I consider 1P to be a precision game, not a sloppy mess🤣

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I hate to admit it because I have a Fedor Man-Boy crush but Filler I think would currently have the edge. My dream would be Fedor-FIller faceoff to challenge Alex. Who knows if SVB takes a bite out of Tony we may see something happen???
does this mean I can intrest in you in a side wager on tony svb with me getting tony?

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
On a gold crown a 4 inch well put to gether table is very playble if it has good rails. with bad rails it is imposible to move the cue ball and pocket balls so makes the table jsut a game extender

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
On a gold crown a 4 inch well put to gether table is very playble if it has good rails. with bad rails it is imposible to move the cue ball and pocket balls so makes the table jsut a game extender
Yes sir. Are you coming down. I'll be there. How much would you like?