Welcome to the forums, Mary Kenniston!

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
I had the pleasure of meeting up with Mary at the Derby this year. She is a hoot to be around, and is the type that fits right in with the guys. She's been a champion player in the past and if you're into pool pictures, then look no further then her Facebook page. She has a HUGE collection that she has spent countless hours scanning and organizing, labeling and uploading.

I hope someday to team up with her and get a spot carved out on the web to place all of these. Stop by her Facebook page and check out all of the Hall of Fame catalogs she has already. She adds more each day.

Welcome here Mary, and don't be a stranger. I will warn you though.. she has no trouble speaking her mind:D

http://www.facebook.com/mdkenn?sk=photos

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
CaliRed said:
I had the pleasure of meeting up with Mary at the Derby this year. She is a hoot to be around, and is the type that fits right in with the guys. She's been a champion player in the past and if you're into pool pictures, then look no further then her Facebook page. She has a HUGE collection that she has spent countless hours scanning and organizing, labeling and uploading.

I hope someday to team up with her and get a spot carved out on the web to place all of these. Stop by her Facebook page and check out all of the Hall of Fame catalogs she has already. She adds more each day.

Welcome here Mary, and don't be a stranger. I will warn you though.. she has no trouble speaking her mind:D

http://www.facebook.com/mdkenn?sk=photos
I agree 100% -- and one little extra that I really appreciate is that every time one of our HOF guys is labeled in her pics, she always includes the Hall of Fame honor.

Mary Kenniston

Verified Member
Thanks, guys! Appreciate the kind words but I have to admit, I've been lurking here for years!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Mary Kenniston said:
Thanks, guys! Appreciate the kind words but I have to admit, I've been lurking here for years!
mary since i dont know much about you maybe you can give a synopsis of your life in the pool world:)

Mary Kenniston

Verified Member
Grew up on Long Island, was always a natural athlete (basketball was my game) but never hit a ball until I went to college. Got an athletic scholarship (basketball) & ended up out in Nebraska. Tore up my knees & that was the end of playing basketball. Looking for something competitive that I could do, I first picked up a cue at a college bar & had some natural ability. When I got home from school ('73), my parents had moved to northern New Jersey & I knew no one. One night just exploring the area, I stumbled upon a pool room (Guys & Dolls in Belleville, NJ) & figured I could make some friends there. It took me several visits before I realized I was the only girl in the place! Didn't care - always felt more at home around the guys anyway! Went in there to make some friends & it changed the course of my life as I fell in love with the game. About a year later, I became involved with the WPBA & started playing in tournaments. It was in its infancy & I spent many years on the WPBA Board & was instrumental in the development of the WPBA Classic Tour. As far as my playing career goes, I spent a couple years on the road ('80-'81), am a former two-time world 9 ball champion ('80 & '89), national 9 ball champion ('87), runner-up in several 14.1 world championships & have numerous other state & WPBA titles. I retired from the tour in '99. In '88, I opened Cue-Topia, a billiard room in Las Vegas & I think just about every top player came through there at one time or another. We always had plenty of action. Had a pretty good stable of home court players too - Ronnie Allen, Ed Kelly, Jack Perkins, Rex Cannon, Archie the Greek, Toby Fleharty, Dave Nottingham, Joe Alvarez, etc. - had a paddle for every ass in every game - lots of one pocket action. Monk (Warren Costanza) came down to check the place out about a week or so after we opened & stayed for a couple years! Harry Platis would fly down just about every weekend...the Detroit gang was also coming out every weekend or so also because Rosie had retired to Vegas. There was always something going on & you never knew who was going to walk in the door. I remember one time, I walked in & counted about 30 world class players in the room. Boy, those were some great years! In the mid 90's, the gov't came in & made all the apartments surrounding Cue-Topia HUD housing & that was the beginning of the end of the pool room. Was a great place for about 7 years! Left Vegas in '06 & moved down to Florida. So now that I've bored everyone to death, that's pretty much it...still stick my nose in once in a while to see what's going on!

mosconiac

Verified Member
Welcome (officially) Mary. I've said it on facebook, and I'll say it again here. You have my respect for so diligently archiving photos of *pool* days gone by. I was too young to witness it all first hand, but I treasure the photos you've collected. Thanks for sharing them.

Mark Nelson

John Brumback

Verified Member
Hello Mary,you may not remember me from the hof dinner this year and just hangin at the dcc but we had a nice chat or two.I've been a big fan of your's for many years.Thanks for being here.John B.

Mary Kenniston

Verified Member
Of course I remember you, John! It was my pleasure to finally meet you - always admired your game from afar & your induction into the Bank Pool Hall of Fame was well deserved! Mark, glad you're enjoying the photos. Seemed like a shame to have them sit in boxes where no one could see them. Went from the photos I had from Cue-Topia to snowballing into people sending me their pics from all over plus Shari at Pool & Billiard giving me unfettered access to theirs. I'm sure Eric (Fatboy) remembers when the walls of Cue-Topia were covered with photos. Sure miss those days, huh Eric? See you moved to LA...come to Florida! We're planning to move over to the Tampa way soon - lots of pool there! Anyway, glad to be here! Thanks, guys!

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
Hi Mary, I haven't been playing much pool the past 2 months. I'm living in LA and the pool room is a 30 minutes away so I don't get there much. I'm not happy living here, I have to stay for a while, I have to sell my fix my house(its too small for a table) and finish up some biz in Vegas, I dont want to live in Vegas ever again, the last 5-6 years since around the time my mom died I have been tired of Vegas. Her passing has nothig to do with me wanting to move it was just a coincidence. Vegas isnt what it was and the new version of Vegas is horrible.

So i'm circling up my wagons and then going to make a plan, I might stay in LA and get a different house that can hold a table, and has a garage that a car can fit into(my house the garage is so small a car wont fit in it and cant be re-built to fit a car, it was for model T car's 80 yrs ago). I might move to Fl or a whole new country. I really dont know yet. I'd like to play pool hard for 5-6 more years and see how much more i improve, I am playing the best I ever played in my life right now when i'm in stroke. In 2-3 weeks from today I could be at 90-95% and in 4 weeks at my top speed-If I played in action 6-7 days a week. I really want to do that until i'm 50, i'm 44 now.

I just know I'm not real happy right now with where I'm living, I'm also board with LA, its got its good points-the food is good, weather. But for pool its bad, 20,000,000 and maybe 6-7 good rooms, Like Sal's room but thats a 90minute drive for me. Hardtimes takes me 30-40 with no traffic. It can take over a hour in traffic.

The action aint action in LA, low $$$ nut huggers. They wont flip a coin for $50 here. I was in a room the other day some guy I never saw comes over and says his friend will play me some 3C for $1000/game. First off I never seen billiards played for $$$, those guys are great players but not into it for action. Where as 1P is awalys played for $$. My best run in 3C is 4(with a coach) I have ran 4 a few times in my life. two is the best on my own, came close to 3 a few times. I suck at billiards, love it but havent paid my dues. So how bad do I have it at that game for $1000/game??? I asked if they wanted to flip coins for $1000 a toss, they wouldnt flip coins for $100. Thats the action scene in LA. you beat some once and they will never play again without a HUGE adjustment, and these guys have $$$.

So even with a house with a table and being in dead stroke where there are 20,000,000 people and no action is kinda pointless. There is more to life than pool, thats for sure. Forget about work, thats for other people-with my back problems I can only work from home, that also is a problem for my pool game-right now just the drive to the pool room sets off a back ache, if I had a table at home I can just play and play longer before my back becomes a problem.

Soon as I get my biz wrapped up in Vegas, And my house in LA sold I'm going shopping for a new spot. I may stay in LA, I might live in Thailand. I'm not sure yet what i'm doing-I just know it wont be what it is now.

best

eric

PS: Mary is among my very very closest friends in the pool world, I met he in Reno one night hitching a ride to Key Stone Cue and Cushion from the Sands. That was in 86 or 87. Then I got to know her real good at her room in Vegas, her house man David Lee and I were good friends too. Then when I got permanently moved to Vegas-for a few years we were all family real tight. sadly that chapter in the book of life came to a end. Mary and I were very good friends and played hard against each other, She brought the best out in me, And I believe I brought the best out her game-Playing Mary I remember it like it was this morning. I have played many people over the years and of all the people I played Mary was some of the best times I ever spent playing pool. we didnt gamble yet I felt like I was playing for a million $, we played hard. I will never forget those days-they were great. I hope in the future I can find some times I enjoyed like I did those days, and I hope everyone here can do the same.

Its pretty strong to remember playing for free(not action) 20 years later, the $$$ are easy to remember. To remember all the practice sessions is impossible. Thanks Mary, Love Eric I told Kelly all about you and I want you to meet her. We will be down your way sooner than later. Kelly and I will be 12 years next month and still aint had a argument.

Mary Kenniston

Verified Member
Hi Eric! Sorry I didn't respond right away...life intrudes! Thanks for the kind words & the updates on your life in LA. Sorry to hear that you don't have a table in the house any longer. I LOVE the fact that I have one - I'd hardly ever play if I had to go to a pool room. Guess if there was a good room around here to go to that might make a difference! Give me a call when you get a chance...sure enjoyed talking to you at DCC!