Was this OK?

Skin

Verified Member
2018 DCC 1p semi. You can see the game score and ball count. Critical point in the match. Watch what Busty did during Tony's inning as it appeared Tony was about to pocket scratch.

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
It has been legal ever since Earl Strickland, except when he plays in World Championships, that female referee puts him in his place.

But other than that, this is a challenge match I would like see happen on Tony's home table.
Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
legal or not, still surprising a top pro would do that.
I am not saying it is legal, I was just making a somewhat bad comparison.
Yes, I do think that Ken probably had a good talking to Busty after that.
I felt Tony held it together well after that.
I surely do not know what ruling Ken could of imposed on Busty, for it was in-between shots and not directed in a mean way, but a premature excitement level thinking the cb was going to scratch. But still inappropriate.

What if Ken imposed a 1 ball penalty. Would it have spotted up immediately, plus give the option for Tony ball in hand behind the line. Tough decisions.

I think it definitely put a damper on the end of the match. Ken looks very disappointed in Busty.

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
I guess the question would be are there any unsportsman like penalties in place at DCC?
Tony did keep his cool which is impressive.

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
I guess the question would be are there any unsportsmanlike penalties in place at DCC?
Tony did keep his cool which is impressive.
The ref has to strike a balance between "make them behave" and "just let them play". I think Ken did the right thing in that situation. If he had spoken up as the cue ball hung on the brink, it would have just added drama and been more distracting to Tony.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Of course not. But once it's over nobody cares, There is no way of knowing if Busty had been quiet ,if Tony would have run out, but we all know that with the interruption, he didn't .

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Busty had missed his out ball. Tony had just made a great combo bank the shot before, and had gotten a rather loud crowd reaction. Busty was actually giving it back to the crowd.. His way of mooning them without actually pulling down his pants. asshole move..

unoperro

Verified Member
Busty had missed his out ball. Tony had just made a great combo bank the shot before, and had gotten a rather loud crowd reaction. Busty was actually giving it back to the crowd.. His way of mooning them without actually pulling down his pants. asshole move..
So I can't tell , did you approve or disapprove😉

Skin

Verified Member
Look at what Tony put on Busty in game two in a very similar situation to that in the case game (including almost scratching in the side). Busty had good reason for being scared when he came out of his chair during Tony's inning.

Last edited:

Skin

Verified Member
This guy (upper right, inside the red circle) sweats the matches in lots of Accu-Stats videos covering years. Is he with the Accu-Stats crew? He's not one of you guys here, is he? He's seen a lot of good pool live, that's for sure.

And that guy in the middle looks a lot like Sylver Ochoa if you see him full-faced in the video, but I'm pretty sure he's not. I wonder what ever happened to Sylver. He was a rising star at one time but seemed to disappear, although I think I recall he showed up for an event in Houston a couple years ago.

DCC 2018.jpg

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
This guy (upper right, inside the red circle) sweats the matches in lots of Accu-Stats videos covering years. Is he with the Accu-Stats crew? He's not one of you guys here, is he? He's seen a lot of good pool live, that's for sure.

And that guy in the middle looks a lot like Sylver Ochoa if you see him full-faced in the video, but I'm pretty sure he's not. I wonder what ever happened to Sylver. He was a rising star at one time but seemed to disappear, although I think I recall he showed up for an event in Houston a couple years ago.

View attachment 435273
I forget his name, but he especially seems to be a straight pool fan. He's very active on AZ, user name "sjm".

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I know his first name is Stu, see him at lots of events (on video, of course) very active poster on AZB
yeah he is front and center in a ton of matches. I am also 99% sure that is not Sylver Ochoa Once you know what happened earlier it doesn't seem as out of line .

Last edited:

evergruven

Verified Member
I know his first name is Stu, see him at lots of events (on video, of course) very active poster on AZB

shout out to stu..he's not only a knowledgeable, committed pooler, but a real nice guy.

ps I admit busty caught me off-guard with his move, but that's because I haven't seen him do too much of that.
I agree the threat tony presented inspired busty to dance, and good on t-rex for keeping his head down in that instance. great match.

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Even the APA players don't celebrate when their opponent scratches on the eight ball.
Yeah, I think that in a private match players can do whatever each other allows. But in a tournament that crap should be verboten, and possibly punished. Opponents should stay in their seats, or well away from the table during the shooter's inning.