Wannabe Wade Crane (Billy Johnson)

LongLiveThePoolGods

From
Seattle
My name is Nate Zollers and I am an aspiring One Pocket player. I saw this picture of Wade Crane and thought he had all the swagger in the world. Here's me trying my best impression of the late great Crane.

Attachments

• Wade-Crane.jpg
    Wade-Crane.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210225_211317.jpg
    20210225_211317.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
nice impression. but dont be like him and blow all your dough to better players.

first time i met him i was at the red roof pub in tacoma wa. all the air force buys and people played pool there and all had to gamble to hold the table. it was easy money for sure. i always just barely won so not to get any steam. it worked.
then one day this guy that looked just like that but much younger at the time put his quarter up and his time came. he asked if i wanted to play for more. most games were 5 to 20 usually. i said no but i think i said 20. i figured maybe they sent in a ringer to get me.
well early in the game i tied him up as i usually do so i can stall. he just walked up to the cueball and jumped it over a couple balls and made the shot. before that time, ive never seen a jump played. but he was stupid as he lost me for good.
around pool he was called flyboy. as he was in the airforce at that base at the time. so thats how he got that name as most probably didnt know.
he was an okay guy for sure. just had too much gamble. one of the few players in the world that could jump fine with his playing cue, which i found out. he did go around for many years using the name billy johnson.
Wait a minute -- you mean Wade Crane was also "Flyboy" -- and not just Jimmy Spears???

LongLiveThePoolGods

From
Seattle
ll pool gods,

stick around here and give us excerpts as you move up in the pool world and one pocket.
we need new blood and you can learn so much from all the old cogers here that have decades of pool and gambling experience.
Those are some pretty big shoes to fill!
Good impression, Nate.
welcome to the site, cool pic! :)
Yes, Billy Johnson is a very imposing intimidating player, like no other!
rip,
Whitey
Thank you all for your responses! I have been learning from this generation through Accu-Stats Video Productions and this website's extensive history of past and present players. I have dedicated the last couple years of my life to pool and its' variety of games and have had a wonderful time doing such. Filling Boom Boom's shoes is not on my list because that is too much for a youngin' to strive for, but I'd love to play some top notch players and stack my game against theirs. I love this game and all its intricacies... and I love that people are willing to give their secrets away for free nowadays :LOL: I guess its a lot different than the old days eh?
-Nate

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Thank you all for your responses! I have been learning from this generation through Accu-Stats Video Productions and this website's extensive history of past and present players. I have dedicated the last couple years of my life to pool and its' variety of games and have had a wonderful time doing such. Filling Boom Boom's shoes is not on my list because that is too much for a youngin' to strive for, but I'd love to play some top notch players and stack my game against theirs. I love this game and all its intricacies... and I love that people are willing to give their secrets away for free nowadays :LOL: I guess its a lot different than the old days eh?
-Nate
Before 1980 you could not even get the correct time from a pool player.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Johnny was instrumental in Freddy and I winning 35K at the crap tables in Vegas in 71. Starting out with $21.00, me keeping the bean for the $1 breakfast at the Stardust. As with NY Pancho, Ervolino never tried to 'F' me out of anything, and I was around him for awhile in NYC.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
ervolino helped friends and everyone he could find to screw out of their money. i knew no one back east that liked him at all.

nowadays i help lots of people even though few really appreciate it. i mean helping, not just giving some advice . most times advice isnt wanted even if asked for. what is really wanted is to confirm what they are doing now is correct.
ervolino helped friends and everyone he could find to screw out of their money. i knew no one back east that liked him at all.

nowadays i help lots of people even though few really appreciate it. i mean helping, not just giving some advice . most times advice isnt wanted even if asked for. what is really wanted is to confirm what they are doing now is correct.
When someone asks for cash, I ask myself if I want to give this person the money ,the answer is usually no , then my answer is no, they stand there waiting for the rest of the story, On some occasions I've had the money returned, it's like a score for me.
St. Louie Louie asked if I had any money, I said both pockets full, he said let me have $200, I said no, Well stake me, I said no, How about$50 walking around money, I said No, He said :you're pretty seasoned around the pool aren't you? I said Yes, he laughed and walked away.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I can't tell if they are really bums, or angels in disguise , so I give everybody a couple of dollars to get a sandwich.
I usually give guys on the corner & under the freeway turn arounds something myself. I was talking about Pool Hall Mooches. If they ask for little enough, they get it to be rid of them once and for all.