Walking with Giants, Hippy Jimmy

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
Met Jimmy Reid in Johnston City 1970. Really was a nice guy and a dam good player of pocket billiards.

Myself and Cole Dickson were rooming together and were entered in the 9 ball division, both of us low on funds and were looking to make walking money in the 9 ball tourney.

Mean while we hung out with jimmy occasionally the next few days. Jimmy smoked a small corn cobb pipe quite often so one evening Cole loaded his pipe with a little hash bahaha and we three took a few puffs sitting in the bleachers when no one was around. Fun memory.

Jimmy played dam good 9 ball especially but as straight as he shot I’m sure he was good at all pocket billiards.

Watched Jimmy play Steve Cook some 9 ball 40-50 a game in Johnston city and Jimmy beat him!

He danced with a lot of giants back in the day and held his own.

Last saw him in Vegas 1972, don’t know how he fared in tournament play thru his career but private matchups he was nasty!

My memories of jimmy are all good, we never played back in the day, he was my friend.

Haven’t seen Jimmy since 72 Vegas, I miss him!

The pool world cannot replace Hippy Jimmy, he is legend!
Remember Jimmy!

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
He came to The Billiard Palace in Bellflower late 60’s/early 70’s. Jumped in the liability game on Bertha and held his own. He had very long hair and played barefoot.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for the story as always!

His HOF page:

PS - I read he passed on or about 9/30/2016 which is what I just now updated his page to. If anyone knows it to be a different day, please let me know, thank you.

baby huey

Verified Member
Jimmy was quite the character and he could play. I knew him well from his days around Hollywood. I miss him.

Reactions: lll

Maxwell

Verified Member
He came to The Billiard Palace in Bellflower late 60’s/early 70’s. Jumped in the liability game on Bertha and held his own. He had very long hair and played barefoot.
I was watching one time where Cue Ball Kelly called him for a foul when his hair touched a ball. I think that was in LA at the Elks tournament. You might have been there John. I didn't know you then.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I was watching one time where Cue Ball Kelly called him for a foul when his hair touched a ball. I think that was in LA at the Elks tournament. You might have been there John. I didn't know you then.
I was not there Max. We probably met at Jointed Cue in Sac. I hear it is opening soon. I will have to be a stake horse like you.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Jimmy spent a lot of time in the Detroit area in the early to mid 70s as he had a girlfriend that hung out of Cushion n Cue in Oak Park, the room I grew up playing in. It was a half mile from The Rack. He had cut his hair by then.

Jimmy always played with a little smile on his face and his eyes wide open (some times more wide open than others if you know what I mean 😂😲). He sure could play and a fierce competitor. His old girlfriend's name was Ruth so when they broke up I called him "Ruthless". LOL

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Jimmy spent a lot of time in the Detroit area in the early to mid 70s as he had a girlfriend that hung out of Cushion n Cue in Oak Park, the room I grew up playing in. It was a half mile from The Rack. He had cut his hair by then.

Jimmy always played with a little smile on his face and his eyes wide open (some times more wide open than others if you know what I mean 😂😲). He sure could play and a fierce competitor. His old girlfriend's name was Ruth so when they broke up I called him "Ruthless". LOL
One of his old girlfriends (it may have been Ruth) used to post on here years back. She was a great gal, and a real looker. Trouble is, her current hubby got wind of her posting on here, and put the kibosh to that. Afterwards we private Emailed a few times, but that eventually drifted off. Pretty sure she was from Pittsburgh. I can't remember. At that time we had four Pittsburghers posting on the site: Cardone, me, "Ruth", and a retired cop-- whose name I can't remember (maybe Terry).

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
One of his old girlfriends (it may have been Ruth) used to post on here years back. She was a great gal, and a real looker.
I think there were many "Ruths" in his life 😂🤣. I loved your story/memory, thanks.

If I recall correctly, you knew/know a pretty interesting "Ruth", too. 👏🥰🤯

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Yes, there was a point in time when lots of girls would want to hook up with Jimmy. Many times he would say ok, but we're playing five ball. That meant that he would put an orange and a five ball on the table or tv, and when the break of dawn would furnish enough light as to differentiate between the two, her ass was out of there...

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
When Reid was around the Palace in early 70's he always dressed nice as did all the top players. His girl friend was a blond beauty, and often was in the Palace with him. He would play in the pay pool games, but was not a regular at it, although he was in it when it went for 6 days straight. Cole won it and directly after that in came in an older guy 35-40 yrs old, from Hawaii and got the 6 from Cole. Cole was mentally weary, plus trying to transition from pay pool to 9-ball, well it was hard to see the old guy taking the money that Cole worked so hard to get. But Reid was there and said; "I have to get in on this". and was side betting and getting back some of the money he lost in the pay pool game.

I did see Reid play 9 ball once, and what I remember is his forceful stroke. He seemed to always angle down on the cue ball, which forces it, muscling it. The top players never matched up so you do not get to see them playing 9 ball much. Billy Johnston sat in there for a month before someone asked him to play. What a powerful break.

The last time I seen Jimmy was in around '72, when I was playing his buddy Popcorn pay pool on the 6 x 12, and he came in the back room and was sweating it. After awhile of me stoning in balls from being jacked up either on the rail or over a ball, he said; "I just have to say, I have not seen shooting like this in awhile".

So I'll cherish that comment coming from him, especially knowing he was such a great player. So Jimmy is special for me, for my memories are not many for a year later I was out of pool.
Thanks Keith for the thread! See you!
Whitey

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Well I believe one of his early girlfriends, going back to Johnston City, was none other than Barbara, the same Barbara that ended up with Jack Cooney, playing a very important role as his partner hustling over many years. She is an awfully smart lady and definitely could tell the difference between the 5 ball and an orange!!

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
Steve, you are correct. In 1967, at the Western Hills Hotel in Ft Worth, I played in the 1st Texas State Open .I was 18 at the time. (Finished 11th, by the way -

32 players) 14.1. Jimmy played in it. I remember Barbara, a very beautiful brunette. Puckett later told me that Barbara, much as she was for Jack,

was the money manager for Jimmy. I did not realize at the time of Jimmy's pool talent.

By the way, U.J. won the tournament, beating Leroy Kinman . I can tell you that Puckett did a very good job at sharking Leroy while it was

Leroy's turn at the table. Leroy was one of Texas's best players - and also had an insurance agency in Arlington. A true gentleman.

Leroy went on and won 2 of the Open's later. Dick Lane won 2 or 3. I could tell you a very good story on Dick and his brother.

Oh, I came in 11th by number of balls pocketed when you were eliminated.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Steve, you are correct. In 1967, at the Western Hills Hotel in Ft Worth, I played in the 1st Texas State Open .I was 18 at the time. (Finished 11th, by the way -

32 players) 14.1. Jimmy played in it. I remember Barbara, a very beautiful brunette. Puckett later told me that Barbara, much as she was for Jack,

was the money manager for Jimmy. I did not realize at the time of Jimmy's pool talent.

By the way, U.J. won the tournament, beating Leroy Kinman . I can tell you that Puckett did a very good job at sharking Leroy while it was

Leroy's turn at the table. Leroy was one of Texas's best players - and also had an insurance agency in Arlington. A true gentleman.

Leroy went on and won 2 of the Open's later. Dick Lane won 2 or 3. I could tell you a very good story on Dick and his brother.

Oh, I came in 11th by number of balls pocketed when you were eliminated.
If you can tell it, we'd like to hear it...👂