Walking with Giants, Hippy Jimmy

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
Doc, I do not remember the exact year. The Texas Open 14.1 ran from 1967 to around 1980,81. I am guessing 1978 when Dick Lane

won one of his titles. One thing about Dick is he could run around the table running balls in 14.1. But, 9-ball or 1-pkt, it was like slow death

playing him. At this particular tourney, Dick ran 125 and out against his opponent, the tournament director made a big announcement

to let Dick continue his run. He ran 8 more balls and missed an easy one.;)

NOW the rest of the story. Ft Worth, at the time, had a bunch of well heeled men who were sweating the tournament.

There was one person in the bleachers betting against Dick in his matches. Only thing you had to give up a lot of balls - say
that Joe Blow wouldn't get to 75 against Dick.

Well, all of Dick's opponents would get to the magic # before Dick would win the match. Come to find out after the tournament, the man winning all the side bets was Dick's brother. They made a small killing on side bets.

Must not have made any bets on Dick's 125 and out.

Another story about Dick and Nick (yes, Varner). I had a good friend who called me one night from a bar in Arlington. He asked me if I knew

a straight shooting guy with curly, almost afro like hair. I thought a minute and I asked Woody if he saw Dick Lane in the bar. I thought that it

might be Nick, as he and Dick were good friends. Well, $2100 later, Woody paid off . And here comes Dick out from a corner table -

hidden so Woody wouldn't see him.

One afterthought, Dick, Nick and me are within 6 months of age, with me being the oldest.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Doc, I do not remember the exact year. The Texas Open 14.1 ran from 1967 to around 1980,81. I am guessing 1978 when Dick Lane

won one of his titles. One thing about Dick is he could run around the table running balls in 14.1. But, 9-ball or 1-pkt, it was like slow death

playing him. At this particular tourney, Dick ran 125 and out against his opponent, the tournament director made a big announcement

to let Dick continue his run. He ran 8 more balls and missed an easy one.;)

NOW the rest of the story. Ft Worth, at the time, had a bunch of well heeled men who were sweating the tournament.

There was one person in the bleachers betting against Dick in his matches. Only thing you had to give up a lot of balls - say
that Joe Blow wouldn't get to 75 against Dick.

Well, all of Dick's opponents would get to the magic # before Dick would win the match. Come to find out after the tournament, the man winning all the side bets was Dick's brother. They made a small killing on side bets.

Must not have made any bets on Dick's 125 and out.

Another story about Dick and Nick (yes, Varner). I had a good friend who called me one night from a bar in Arlington. He asked me if I knew

a straight shooting guy with curly, almost afro like hair. I thought a minute and I asked Woody if he saw Dick Lane in the bar. I thought that it

might be Nick, as he and Dick were good friends. Well, $2100 later, Woody paid off . And here comes Dick out from a corner table -

hidden so Woody wouldn't see him.

One afterthought, Dick, Nick and me are within 6 months of age, with me being the oldest.
Dick Lane lived in Chicago for a couple years in the early - mid 70's. One of the best 14.1 players along with, Wendel Weir, Marshall Bolter, Tommy Spencer, Waterdog, Artie.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I believe Jimmy embraced, because he had to, the Texas Express 9- Ball, and learned the systems, and developed systems to kick at the ball. I believe this lead to his success as a 9-Ball player during that new era. Many players the express hurt their game, for it became essentially a 3c game vs. a shooter's game.
Whitey

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Jimmy Reid IMO was as strong of a 9ball player that this country produced through the 60s,'70s, and '80s. Make no mistake about it. His ball-striking skills were as good as any player I have ever watched play, and his ability to concentrate was uncanny. He often fell into a deep concentrate mode. It was like he hypnotized himself, and his high gear was insane. I know this from personal experiences playing Jimmy. The top five 9ball players through the 60s, 70s, and 80s were Buddy Hall, Jimmy Reid, Bill Incardona, Wade Crane, and Cole Dickson. Keith McGready came into the pecking order a little later. Mike Sigel and Nick Varner came into the picture in the 80s and 90s and into the 2000s. and ended up being the best American players of all time along with Buddy.

Just my opinion.

Bill Incardona

Last edited: