Ventura Fires

baby huey

Verified Member
It was about a year ago when I posted about the fires here in Ventura Co. Well they are back again. All of Malibu, Simi Valley and the other cities along the 101 corridor are burning. The area is so dry from years of drought that we are just a tinderbox. So no happy Thankgiving out here this year. Oh by the way, we just had this person shoot up one of our local clubs and kill 12 people. This community has suffered pretty bad.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
It was about a year ago when I posted about the fires here in Ventura Co. Well they are back again. All of Malibu, Simi Valley and the other cities along the 101 corridor are burning. The area is so dry from years of drought that we are just a tinderbox. So no happy Thankgiving out here this year. Oh by the way, we just had this person shoot up one of our local clubs and kill 12 people. This community has suffered pretty bad.

You and your family stay safe. Yes, that shooting was tragic - one of my closest friends son had a friend die in that shooting. Nobody knows how to feel - shit.

Unfortunately, fires are a part of southern CA life - but the last 2 years have been brutal. While I was going to school in Woodland Hills in the late 70's (Pierce College), I remember one time seeing 3 or 4 fires around San Fernando rim at the same time. It gets a little sobering. Stay safe.

Dave

Last edited:

chicagomike

Verified Member
I have been watching and am sorry for all the devestation,heartbreak, and tragedy you all are enduring. I’m hoping and praying for the best for all of you as well as strength in the rebuilding process...both structurally and physically/emotionally.

keoneyo

Verified Member
It was great catching up with you yesterday Jerry. We had 3 top California one pocketers in action last nite. You, Tall Wayne, and One Pocket Rich. Keep safe and good luck with that tournament at your room.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
It was great catching up with you yesterday Jerry. We had 3 top California one pocketers in action last nite. You, Tall Wayne, and One Pocket Rich. Keep safe and good luck with that tournament at your room.

Rich is playing again?

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

Sorry to hear about the fires and shooting. Stay safe Jerry

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
When I heard about the SoCal fires, your room and home were the first things I wondered about. Hopefully the fires won't get that far West. Is Ojai threatened? I hope your pad is not in a wooded area!

~Doc

Vagrant

The fires and the domestic terrorism are devistating. Los Angeles is one of our favorite places to visit. I have yet to hear Trump make any truly empathetic statement about either the fires or the shooting. And by the way when he suggested that ifthe synagogue had an armed guard the synagogue shooting could have been prevented but he failed to recognize that a law enforcement officer was on the scene at the Boarderline but was killed. Then he says mismanagement was the cause of the forest fire. Make your own conclusion.

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
Jerry, hope you and yours are safe.

Please forgive me for my ignorance on this, but can someone explain why Cali. has droughts? It seems an area so close to the ocean It is isn’t it? would have plenty of rain. I’ve often wondered this~T

Jim McCary

Verified Member
Hope you and your room never have a problem with the fires out there. Really enjoyed talking to you while we watched a match during the Seniors here in Houston.

Jim

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Hope you and your room never have a problem with the fires out there. Really enjoyed talking to you while we watched a match during the Seniors here in Houston.

Jim

Hi Jim. Good to see you here, and it was good to see you in Houston.

Jerry, I'm thinking of you often. Be safe.

El Chapo

Verified Member
It is crazy because when I was in school we had a legend come in and talk about his research. Alan Templeton. He studied collard lizards in the Ozarks and he actually came to the conclusion that burning the place down would help biodiversity. He was right. They did prescribed burns and biodiversity, at least in the lizards, actually increased. I believe because they were now unfettered to move about with all the brush gone.
https://source.wustl.edu/2011/08/restoration-as-science-case-of-the-collared-lizard/

I have no idea why they do not do these prescribed burns more in CA.

El Chapo

Verified Member
Jerry, hope you and yours are safe.

Please forgive me for my ignorance on this, but can someone explain why Cali. has droughts? It seems an area so close to the ocean It is isn’t it? would have plenty of rain. I’ve often wondered this~T

The real answer is fire suppression causes way too much fuel. But we get these dry winds from the desert and that is what really helps it along. One little fire, along with all that fuel from the suppression, and it is hard to stop it with those dry, strong winds blowing.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Yes he is. As a matter of fact your name came up as we were discussing the
upcoming Fremont tournament.

Rich put a good whooping me. If I get back to SoCal I’d love to play him and Wayne. I’m tired of Jerry’s and Franks whoopings:heh

I’d like some fresh beatings:D

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA