Update on "Encyclopedia"

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
Ok, little oval white spaces.

Beard

I have so far, sold 8 books on AZ off of your, "King was only faking it," comments. Damn, I wish all my argumentative threads with the Claim Jumper would reap those kinds of benefits. Thanks, Pal.:lol

Actually, the count now stands at 12 orders. Whoops, made a mistake, it is now 15. 'My bad. Thanks pal.

Beard

I might start another thread where I say I ran 8 and out 4 games in a row on Cisero Murphy at Johnston City. If you would be so kind as to cast aspersions, ala the Claim Jumper, I would dearly appreciate it. (I must first warn you, two newspapers down there carried the story; so far only the Claim Jumper has had enough mule in his head to go up against that.)

I am presuming that my jelly roll is growing proportionately :)

Lou Figueroa

Just hit #17 since saturday.

Beard

Lou, I already know that you are going to buy one under an assumed name.:lol

Maybe I'm confused, but.....

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
As I understand collecting, books are numbered when they are of a limited edition. This is usually a run of 300 but can be as small 100 or as large as 1000. In any which case the reason books are numbered is that they are from a *limited print run* and somehow physically different than the rest of the published copies (like their binding ferinstance). The hardcover editions of the Blue Book of Cues might be a good example, as opposed to the soft cover editions. (In the old days it had to do with the prints being better earlier in the run, so it was better to have an earlier number.) So the point is that if you are just going to grab a box of books from the entire run, numbering inscribed copies is bogus. If, on the other hand, you are having 100 copies printed on a special run and inscribing and numbering those, I stand ready to retract my statement.
...and do all those books that fit into your criteria come with a personal inscription to everyone who paid for them? I will answer that -- very seldom are they so personalized.
Lou Figueroa

...and who the hell asked you to stick your nose in this and call what I am doing totally bogus? How could you possibly do such a thing? --To use a term like bogus. That wasnt informative,that was pernicious and mean-spirited.

Who did you think I am putting this offer through, Sotheby's or Christie's? Since you are evidently so well versed on this issue, how much do you think it would cost me to do a special first run of only 100 books? With a hard cover, with a dust jacket, 240 photos and 5-600 pages on good paper? $25? $30? $35 ea? Would that make economic sense to sell it at $49.95 including shipping?

And whether it matters or not, the first 100 books that will go out, will go out to those that reserved those numbers.

Beard

Up until now, I was only kidding back and forth with you, I put aside the fact that you were cruel enough to try and throw cold water on a pool legend, King the Wonder Dog; and make me, Jay Helfert, Brooklyn Jimmy, Grady Mathews, John Henderson, Ronnie Allen, and others, out to be imbeciles who could be easily fooled by a "bogus" (there's that word again) dog.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
hey onepocketeers and all you lurkers
who havent bought a book yet
take your hands out of your pockets and BUY at least ..ONE...BOOK..........:eek:.........:)
just sayin we should help support our onepocket brethren

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
#####
I am starting a promo to do a special pre-publication event for my upcoming book, The Encyclopedia of Pool Hustlers. *The first prepaid orders to come in will get numbered copies from 1 to 100* and autographed of course. The publishing date is from one to two months away, more likely two. The order I collect the money will determine the number from 1 to 100. Someone from Onepocket.org has already locked up #1. Up to this point I haven't asked for anything from anyone yet so there is no # 2 at the moment. The tentative price is going to probably be $49.95. That is not locked in because the book is going to cost pretty good to publish hard cover, large size, 350-400 glossy pages, etc. But to raise some interest and some money the special pre-pub price is going to be $49.95 including shipping. As the payments come in I will assign the numbers in that order.

All orders will receive a bonus DVD, the OnePocket Hall of Fame Dinner for 2011 or the BCA Hall of Fame Dinner for 2011. Your choice.

Payments can be made to my PayPal acct under my email address, bankingwiththebeard@comcast.net or my home address is
Fred Bentivegna
445 W 27th St
Chicago, IL 60616

Thanks and Merry Christmas

the Beard

There is a duplicate of this offer in AZ forums

Lou Figueroa
Lou, this confrontation is fairly similar to the shot in pool where there are two balls close or frozen to one another. One is the cue ball, the other is the object ball...I say you can elevate and shoot through the ball as long as the cue ball shows character.:) Maybe you say...no..thats a foul, not a legal shot. I beg to differ. Maybe the Europeans have it right when they say...then it's only legal when you shoot away from the ball.;)

Dr. Bill

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Lou, this confrontation is fairly similar to the shot in pool where there are two balls close or frozen to one another. One is the cue ball, the other is the object ball...I say you can elevate and shoot through the ball as long as the cue ball shows character.:) Maybe you say...no..thats a foul, not a legal shot. I beg to differ. Maybe the Europeans have it right when they say...then it's only legal when you shoot away from the ball.;)

Dr. Bill

Wow. I didn't realize you used the same criteria for balls that are frozen, as opposed to balls that are just close together. This is interesting. How far apart can they be? And isn't 'showing character' subjective? But this is like Watergate except it's now "PublishingGate" . I think The Beard should post what numbers are still available so we can pick from the list before the riff raff over at AZShole Billiards snap them all up. We need to catch up to them. This is now a competition. All I want to know is the following. Is Artie Bodendorfer, Minnesota Fats, King The Wonder Dog, Mickey Carpinello, Don Watson, Searcy, Eddie Burton in the book?? The more of these people that are in the book, the more copies I will buy...

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
I think they...

I think they...

......call them there policemen coppers cause in the old days thats all it took to bribe them was a penny or something like that.....regardless,hang in there Freddie,your almost there and Christmas is right around the corner to those who believe.......you have a good heart,cheers,James

RedCard

Verified Member
Zeee

Zeee

Lassie was really a laddie. Next you're going to tell us Zorro was a chick.
What is the world coming to?
Keep it gender specific. Alfie

Pretty sure Zorro was a guy. One of his protégés, a budding young Zorro, once famously said, 'oh I see, you get in and make your Z and get out'.

Made sense to me on several levels. I've even used it as an excuse before. Don't think the girl bought it though.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Wow. I didn't realize you used the same criteria for balls that are frozen, as opposed to balls that are just close together. This is interesting. How far apart can they be? And isn't 'showing character' subjective? But this is like Watergate except it's now "PublishingGate" . I think The Beard should post what numbers are still available so we can pick from the list before the riff raff over at AZShole Billiards snap them all up. We need to catch up to them. This is now a competition. All I want to know is the following. Is Artie Bodendorfer, Minnesota Fats, King The Wonder Dog, Mickey Carpinello, Don Watson, Searcy, Eddie Burton in the book?? The more of these people that are in the book, the more copies I will buy...

25 left, 65 is the lowest number available.
Here is a smattering of who is represented. (These are all SS members)

Al Miller WI, Racine
Artie Bodendorfer Chicago
Baby Face Alton Whitlow MI, Detroit
Baltimore Buddy Dennis MD, Baltimore
Barbara Cooney CA
Benny the Goose Conway MO
Berle Gabbard KY, Corbin
Bill Incardona PA, Pittsburgh
Billy Smith Chicago
Black Bart, Bob Ogburn Va
Boston Joey Kiley Boston
Boston Shorty Johnson Boston
Brooklyn Butch Fragone NY, Brooklyn
Brooklyn Jimmy Cassas NY, Brooklyn
Brooklyn Johnny Irvolino NY, Brooklyn
Brooklyn Pancho/Harvey Strauss NY, Brooklyn
Buddy Hall KY
Bugs Rucker Chicago
Bunny Rogoff PA, Pittsburgh
Canadian Pete Tasic Canada
Cannonball Lefty John Chapman Tex
Chris Eddie McGeehan
Chris MacDonald CA
Clem Eugene Metz OH, Cinncinnati
Cliff Joyner NC
Clyde Childress KY
Cole Dickson CA
Cornbread Red Billy Burge KY
Country Calvin Hargrove AR
Country Charles Monroe NY
Dale Smith Tex
Danny DiLiberto NY, Buffalo
Danny Medina CO, Denver
Detroit Slim Paul Graham MI, Detroit
Detroit Whitey Beauchene MI, Detroit
Don Willis OH
Eddie Taylor TN
Eddie The Hat Burton SoCar
Flyboy Jimmy Spears
Frank Bananas Rodriguez Tex
Freddy Bentivegna Chicago
Geece Gerace CA
Gene Skinner CA,Fullerton,
Grady Mathews CA
Greg Sullivan KY, Louisville,
Handsome Danny Jones GA, Atlanta
Hubert Cokes IN, Evansville
Ike Runnels Chicago
Isadore Pony Rosen Chicago
Jack Cooney CA,San Fran
James the sniper Christopher Tex
James Youngblood Brown Tex
Jennie JAM (Keith) DC
Jersey Red Breitkoff NJ
Jet Johnson Chicago
Jew Paul Brusloff MI, Detroit
Jimmy Fusco PA, Phila
Jimmy Reid Fla, West Palm
Jockey Norman Howard PA, Pittsburgh
Joey Spaeth OH, Cinncinnati
Johnny Irish Lineen NY
Jose Parica Philipines
Keith McReady CA
Kilroy Roy Kosmolski MI, Detroit
Kokomo Joe Ross NY
Larry Liscotti Conn.
Little Al Romero
Little Frankie Filerino NJ, Jersey city
Lori Shampo MI, Detroit
Luther Lassiter NC
Marcel Camp Canada
Marvin Henderson PA, Pittsburgh
Mexican Johnny Vasquez Tex
Miami Isaac Gonsales Puerto Rico
Minnesota Fats NY
New York Blackie Bonife NY
Nick Varner IN, Evansville
One Eyed Tony Howard KY, Corbin
Patcheye Henry Basheer PA, Phila
Paul Jones Chicago
Peaches James Rochford Chicago
Peter Rabbit Linhardt PA, Phila
Piggy Banks Rogers Chicago
Pittsburg John Stapoli PA, Pittsburgh
Popcorn John Miller CA
Port Chester Mickey Carpinelli NY, Port Chester
Portland Don Watson OR,Portland
Preacher Red Chas Jones
Rags John Fitzpatrick DC
Ray Booth Fla
Ray Maples GA, Atlanta
Richie Ambrose NY, Bronx
Robert Cotton LeBlanc TN, Memphis
Romburg Kenny Remus Chicago
Ronnie Allen OK
Ronnie Sypher MD, Ocean City
Rotation Slim Geo Hairston
Sailor Barge (Wm) NY
Sammy Eubank AR, Little Rock
Seattle Joe Salazar WA, Seattle
Shannon Daulton KY
Sid Heard KY, Corbin/Hazard
Sonny Springer
Squirell Marshall Carpenter AL
Staten Island Tom Halliday NY
Steve Cookie Monster Cook OH
Steve the Lizard Smith Tex
Strawberry Melvin Brooks DC
St. Louis Louie Roberts MO, St Louis
Sugar shack Johnny Novak Conn
Surfer Rod Curry
Tommy The Sailor Kramer CA,San Fran
Tony Coleman MI, Benton Harbor
Tony Fargo Ferguson
Truman Hogue KY
UJ Puckett Tex
Vernon Eliot AL
Vince Furio (not Pancho) NY, Rochester
Wade Crane/Billy Johnson GA
Waterdog Donnie Edwards Conn, Waterbury
Weldon Junior Rogers
Willie Munson WI, Milwaukee
Harley Bryant Fla, Jacksonville
Joey Bowman Tn, Johnson City
Amarillo Slim Preston Tex
Dallas Joey Torma Tex

Beard

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Here is a smattering of who is represented.

Beard

nothing on Mike Carella?

This help ya out Pimp?

He didn't list everyone. YOU...GOTS...TO...BUY...THE...BOOK!!!!!

I should have given Freddy this story about Cornbread. Red and I are at Kalamazoo in the 90's for the US Open One Pocket at Matts pool room.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn down the street and I'm waiting for Red to get done pimpin up and he says "You ready?".
I tell him "I'm just waiting for you".
He says "I'm ready lets go".
I tell him "Oh really?"
He says "What?, lets go".
I tell him "Look at your feet".
He looks down and he's staring and he says "What?".
I say "Your shoes".
He comes with "Ahhh Mothaf@@kin mothaf@@ka".

I start laughing...it aint bad enough he's got one black shoe and one brown shoe on...but one of them is a slip on and the other was a tie.

He grab one of the others so they match and he's putting them on and cracks "It was dark in here". LOL

lfigueroa

Verified Member
...and who the hell asked you to stick your nose in this and call what I am doing totally bogus? How could you possibly do such a thing? --To use a term like bogus. That wasnt informative,that was pernicious and mean-spirited.

Who did you think I am putting this offer through, Sotheby's or Christie's? Since you are evidently so well versed on this issue, how much do you think it would cost me to do a special first run of only 100 books? With a hard cover, with a dust jacket, 240 photos and 5-600 pages on good paper? $25? $30? $35 ea? Would that make economic sense to sell it at $49.95 including shipping?

And whether it matters or not, the first 100 books that will go out, will go out to those that reserved those numbers.

Beard

Up until now, I was only kidding back and forth with you, I put aside the fact that you were cruel enough to try and throw cold water on a pool legend, King the Wonder Dog; and make me, Jay Helfert, Brooklyn Jimmy, Grady Mathews, John Henderson, Ronnie Allen, and others, out to be imbeciles who could be easily fooled by a "bogus" (there's that word again) dog.

Books are inscribed all the time, so I don't know what is so seldom about it.

And frankly I find it hard to believe a grown man is using the word "cruel" in a situation like this. You'd think you were five years old and big bad Lou had just disemboweled the Easter Bunny right in front of your innocent peepers at the mall, lol.

IMO, this is one of those cases that comes up every so often when the world of pool intersects with the real world and long standing practices in the worlds of art, antiques, books, whatever. Sometimes the pool guys realize the right way to interact with these other worlds and guys like Brad Simpson of The Blue Book of Pool Cues fame or Mike Shamos of The Billiard Encyclopedia put out legitimate numbered editions of their work. Other guys don't know about or don't care about how things should be done and just make up their own rules.

Freddy, despite your repeated insinuations that I somehow want your sales to falter, I will say, again, that I look forward to buying a copy AND I wish you every success in selling as many copies as the market will bear.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

lfigueroa

Verified Member

Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill, there is a legit way and there is the bogus way. Maybe a better analogy is how in some rooms they let you crawl up onto the table to reach a shot, though most of us know better :)

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

Verified Member
25 left, 65 is the lowest number available.
Here is a smattering of who is represented. (These are all SS members)

Al Miller WI, Racine
Artie Bodendorfer Chicago
Baby Face Alton Whitlow MI, Detroit
Baltimore Buddy Dennis MD, Baltimore
Barbara Cooney CA
Benny the Goose Conway MO
Berle Gabbard KY, Corbin
Bill Incardona PA, Pittsburgh
Billy Smith Chicago
Black Bart, Bob Ogburn Va
Boston Joey Kiley Boston
Boston Shorty Johnson Boston
Brooklyn Butch Fragone NY, Brooklyn
Brooklyn Jimmy Cassas NY, Brooklyn
Brooklyn Johnny Irvolino NY, Brooklyn
Brooklyn Pancho/Harvey Strauss NY, Brooklyn
Buddy Hall KY
Bugs Rucker Chicago
Bunny Rogoff PA, Pittsburgh
Canadian Pete Tasic Canada
Cannonball Lefty John Chapman Tex
Chris Eddie McGeehan
Chris MacDonald CA
Clem Eugene Metz OH, Cinncinnati
Cliff Joyner NC
Clyde Childress KY
Cole Dickson CA
Cornbread Red Billy Burge KY
Country Calvin Hargrove AR
Country Charles Monroe NY
Dale Smith Tex
Danny DiLiberto NY, Buffalo
Danny Medina CO, Denver
Detroit Slim Paul Graham MI, Detroit
Detroit Whitey Beauchene MI, Detroit
Don Willis OH
Eddie Taylor TN
Eddie The Hat Burton SoCar
Flyboy Jimmy Spears
Frank Bananas Rodriguez Tex
Freddy Bentivegna Chicago
Geece Gerace CA
Gene Skinner CA,Fullerton,
Grady Mathews CA
Greg Sullivan KY, Louisville,
Handsome Danny Jones GA, Atlanta
Hubert Cokes IN, Evansville
Ike Runnels Chicago
Isadore Pony Rosen Chicago
Jack Cooney CA,San Fran
James the sniper Christopher Tex
James Youngblood Brown Tex
Jennie JAM (Keith) DC
Jersey Red Breitkoff NJ
Jet Johnson Chicago
Jew Paul Brusloff MI, Detroit
Jimmy Fusco PA, Phila
Jimmy Reid Fla, West Palm
Jockey Norman Howard PA, Pittsburgh
Joey Spaeth OH, Cinncinnati
Johnny Irish Lineen NY
Jose Parica Philipines
Keith McReady CA
Kilroy Roy Kosmolski MI, Detroit
Kokomo Joe Ross NY
Larry Liscotti Conn.
Little Al Romero
Little Frankie Filerino NJ, Jersey city
Lori Shampo MI, Detroit
Luther Lassiter NC
Marcel Camp Canada
Marvin Henderson PA, Pittsburgh
Mexican Johnny Vasquez Tex
Miami Isaac Gonsales Puerto Rico
Minnesota Fats NY
New York Blackie Bonife NY
Nick Varner IN, Evansville
One Eyed Tony Howard KY, Corbin
Patcheye Henry Basheer PA, Phila
Paul Jones Chicago
Peaches James Rochford Chicago
Peter Rabbit Linhardt PA, Phila
Piggy Banks Rogers Chicago
Pittsburg John Stapoli PA, Pittsburgh
Popcorn John Miller CA
Port Chester Mickey Carpinelli NY, Port Chester
Portland Don Watson OR,Portland
Preacher Red Chas Jones
Rags John Fitzpatrick DC
Ray Booth Fla
Ray Maples GA, Atlanta
Richie Ambrose NY, Bronx
Robert Cotton LeBlanc TN, Memphis
Romburg Kenny Remus Chicago
Ronnie Allen OK
Ronnie Sypher MD, Ocean City
Rotation Slim Geo Hairston
Sailor Barge (Wm) NY
Sammy Eubank AR, Little Rock
Seattle Joe Salazar WA, Seattle
Shannon Daulton KY
Sid Heard KY, Corbin/Hazard
Sonny Springer
Squirell Marshall Carpenter AL
Staten Island Tom Halliday NY
Steve Cookie Monster Cook OH
Steve the Lizard Smith Tex
Strawberry Melvin Brooks DC
St. Louis Louie Roberts MO, St Louis
Sugar shack Johnny Novak Conn
Surfer Rod Curry
Tommy The Sailor Kramer CA,San Fran
Tony Coleman MI, Benton Harbor
Tony Fargo Ferguson
Truman Hogue KY
UJ Puckett Tex
Vernon Eliot AL
Vince Furio (not Pancho) NY, Rochester
Wade Crane/Billy Johnson GA
Waterdog Donnie Edwards Conn, Waterbury
Weldon Junior Rogers
Willie Munson WI, Milwaukee
Harley Bryant Fla, Jacksonville
Joey Bowman Tn, Johnson City
Amarillo Slim Preston Tex
Dallas Joey Torma Tex

Beard

Gee, did I miss it?! I didn't see San Jose Dick listed! I can't believe you would intentionally leave him out.

Lou Figueroa

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Books are inscribed all the time, so I don't know what is so seldom about it.

And frankly I find it hard to believe a grown man is using the word "cruel" in a situation like this. You'd think you were five years old and big bad Lou had just disemboweled the Easter Bunny right in front of your innocent peepers at the mall, lol.

IMO, this is one of those cases that comes up every so often when the world of pool intersects with the real world and long standing practices in the worlds of art, antiques, books, whatever. Sometimes the pool guys realize the right way to interact with these other worlds and guys like Brad Simpson of The Blue Book of Pool Cues fame or Mike Shamos of The Billiard Encyclopedia put out legitimate numbered editions of their work. Other guys don't know about or don't care about how things should be done and just make up their own rules.

Freddy, despite your repeated insinuations that I somehow want your sales to falter, I will say, again, that I look forward to buying a copy AND I wish you every success in selling as many copies as the market will bear.

Lou Figueroa

Gee whiz, Lou, is there any possible way you could talk down to someone any further than you make it such a habit to do? I think that the "proper" depth that you routinely speak to, is somewhere close to the earth's core.

And don't flatter yourself, you pose zero threat to my success with my book.
My only objection still, is you, in your arrogant, supercilious style, injected an unasked for comment that I myself would only have made to a serious enemy. But that is just me.

Beard

...and just because you couch your condescending comments in the guise of "concerned investigative reporting," don't kid yourself that everybody falls for that "bogus" sh*t.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
That is amazing! I didnt know that you had spent time around King -- like all of us fools, me, Pancho, Jay Helfert, Brooklyn Jimmy and Grady! :confused:

Beard

I never had the experience of spending time around "King" sorry to say.:(
I was fortunate to see "Skidboot" in 1999. If you haven't seen him, you should google him for a treat. :):D:cool::p
Rod.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I never had the experience of spending time around "King" sorry to say.:(
I was fortunate to see "Skidboot" in 1999. If you haven't seen him, you should google him for a treat. :):D:cool::p
Rod.

Skidboot -- whatta dog! He sure coulda hung out with King. When the video got to the part about Skidboot going blind I had to shut it off.

Beard