Unpaid Bill

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Duplicate post, put up in error.

It was 82 degrees and sunny today, we can’t decide whether Eddie Robin is dead or alive, and Jose Parica will be in New Orleans next month for the one-pocket event at Buffalo’s. The part about Parica (Amang) is great news, as far as I’m concerned. He has been my little hero for many years – the eye of a turkey buzzard, the nerve of a house burglar and the grin of a cub scout. If he is playing at anywhere near his old speed, there should be some good encounters when he goes up against the current quick-draw players. I don’t suppose he will be a favorite in any match, but I hate that I won’t be there to see him. Amang is an old man, by any standards, but he is way cool.

Funny his name should come up today, because he always responded, when asked, that he generally beat Efren Reyes when they played money matches, and as we speak there is a thread on this site about the knowledge of Efren. I have looked for an excuse to write about him. Before last year’s flood I had many videos of tournament matches involving either or both of these Filippino warriors.

Online, at YouTube, few people have spent the hours that I have, watching Efren play. At Hard Times in California he routinely gave 9-6 to anyone who wanted to play and gamble a bit. There were many takers – pretty good players. $100 for a race to three, three matches guaranteed. I especially recall the matches against Bobby Emmons, a nineball player from Arizona, but for substantially higher stakes. I have watched them many times. Emmons is a fine shotmaker and a tough competitor, but 9-6 against Efren was not nearly enough weight. I viewed the contests, over and over.

At the monitor I tried to understand what he was doing, why he made a particular move, why he passed up what I thought was the obvious. He made preemptive shots, designed to rob you of the chance to retaliate. All his victims went away happy to have had the experience, for a reasonable tax.

How much did he learn from Freddy Bentivegna – who knows? I believe he was a blue-collar player from humble beginnings, a little man who recognized early on that pool was the sum total of what he had going for him and he seized on it, determined to wring it out. Whatever else he was, he was an expert learner. If you have ever taught classes of any sort, you have seen learners. They snatch up what is put before them, more so than the others in the group. Maybe that’s why he prefers to stand when in a contest. He is determined to see, in case there is something to see, and to learn.

In his middle sixties he is on the downside of the mountain he has defended for so many years. Back in the islands he plays 10 ball with the young guys, sometimes getting a game or two on the wire, or a ball. He seems contented just to be playing. You can see him still, on YouTube, in primitive venues, but before standing-room-only crowds of his fans.

We may have seen him in major one-pocket action for the last time. Nobody goes on forever. Maybe he really does think he has been lucky. Well Bata, I’ve been lucky, too.

Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
It’s sunny and warm today, gas is going for $3.90 per gallon and the news from Ukraine is the same as it was yesterday. In case you are driving a big rig, filling the tanks will set you back upwards of six hundred dollars with diesel fuel now more than $5.00 in this country. In Massachusetts they get $6.00 and a fill could be more than eight hundred bucks, but fortunately Massachusetts is not very big and you might cross it in one big gulp, or even go around it.

As of April 26, Alex Pagulayan could be found betting it up with a local gunner, playing even 10 ball somewhere in the Philippines. Francisco Bustamante was there to cheer him on, but to no avail. Alex lost by 16-21. As recently as May 3, Carlo Biado was also in the islands, doing pretty much the same thing, perhaps with a better result. I am forced to wonder again how much it costs for a round-trip ticket to that locale. How many other players are in the same position as Dennis Orcollo, regarding time spent in the U.S. of A?

Our .org website has been quite busy recently, more than during the winter. Is the weather to be credited for that? We have had good matches linked for our viewing pleasure and several good WWYDs. Whitey Young managed to jam a cue ball and an object ball in a pocket and Larry created an illustration for discussion – a couple of major contributors here, to be sure. Cincy kid, our tech guru, is back at work on the program and that’s never anything but good news and progress.

I know we have baseball fans among the membership, and even a few punters (as we say around Liverpool) who need to know what’s coming. According to the May issue of SI, the major leagues are looking for a way to juice up their product and activate their fans. They want fewer strikeouts and more runs and shorter games. They propose assessing the pitchers as a remedy. Here are a few things they may try for the next season or two, or maybe already in action in the minors. Audio communication system between pitchers and catchers. Less time between pitches and an automated ball and strike system. Smaller strike zone, shaving off the top and taking away the old high, hard one. If there is a pitcher’s union, look for it to show up before long.

They are proposing bigger bases and ending the infield shifts by prohibiting more than two infielders on either side of second base and laying down a maximum depth for the outfielders. They would lay down an arc across the outfield, sort of like the three-point line in basketball, and not allow the fielders to position themselves any deeper, any closer to the fences – more doubles and triples and balls hit off the walls. There’s more, and none of this is written in stone, but major changes seem likely and soon. If you decide to be a ballplayer, be a hitter.

Locally, the young men continue to bump one another off – four in one day earlier this week, and more than forty so far this year. Not acceptable says the mayor and we will not stand for it. She says that every time – maybe they don’t hear her.

More and more classes of citizens are being designated ‘matter’ but it’s not clear just what we should do in proper observance. Maybe, if we are patient or if we are noisy, ‘old guys matter’ will be announced and celebrated. Or not. See you later.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
It’s Sunday evening, gas is up to $4.00 a gallon and inflation is going through this country like a half-pint of pluto water. Good apples are going for $3 per pound. This is not the good ‘ol annual inflation we’ve had since I was a lad of fifty years, this is some kind of all-out assault on my monthly SS check. Don’t tell me about the Cost of Living Adjustment. You can almost see it happening. Or smell it.

The cincy_kid is back home in Cincinnati and in his new house and he’s excited about that, as we are for him. Chris is one of maybe a half-dozen members here who keep the site running – bless him, he’s the computer guy.

Also in Cincinnati is the Hoinke Classic bowling tournament, which will run for eight months and award more than half a million dollars this year. The Classic is in its eightieth year, dating back to WW II. All in the war effort, prizes in 1943 were War Bonds and stamps. I shot the Hoinke in 1955 and I recall getting a modest check for my effort.

Mambo Fats, in his journal reports on the progress of the pool table he is building, over in Belgium, I presume. He has posted a number of drawings for the hefty, six-legged structure he plans to produce in a DIY manner. His project will be of great interest to any of us who have ever thought we could probably do the same, if we really wanted to. I will feel a bit more secure for his table when he lets us know what he is doing about the slate. That’s not something one can bring home from the lumber yard.

Since I first viewed a couple, YouTube is offering multiple videos of the matches of the Bay Area Pool Masters. They seem to be a going concern, with various formats for their action and various prizes or stakes involved – not always mentioned. I have no idea how they schedule, if at all, or is it all spontaneous challenges or mini-tournaments of the catch-as-catch-can variety. Conspicuous for his many conquests is a player they call Mike the Lawyer. One might get the impression he spends every day at the poolroom. He has vanquished Angelo, Lee the General, Speedy Morfin and Big Money Mike before tackling Kevin Lucky Dog, an obvious error of judgment. One day this week I saw him polish off a match with a neato five-rail bank. Bay Area Long Arm, you might say.

One wonders just how large a local pool community would be needed to support such an informal group as this one seems to be. Is there a board of directors and a sergeant-at-arms, a clubhouse, a secret sign and shake and such as that? Probably not, but maybe someone will tell us a bit about it.

There will be a total eclipse of the moon tonight. Presumably it reappears when the eclipse is over. I could go out to watch, but I would not want anyone asking me what the hell I am doing. I could wait until it’s over and then describe it for my readers, but how do you do a blow-by-blow of an eclipse? Y’know?

See you later.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
It’s Wednesday and 88 degrees and raining off and on in Baton Rouge, and all the states that drink from the Colorado River are beginning to feel the pinch. Getting your water out there is a sort of complicated proposition, and the level in big Lake Mead is low and falling. As the water goes down, strange things are coming into view, like a metal drum with the remains of a man inside. Former Mafioso Michael Franzese advises that there are quite a few such burials in the lake – not that he has put anybody there himself, you understand, but he has heard from others that there are more. ID nightmares to come.

The site is quiet, except for exchanges about the one-pocket tournaments that are rapidly approaching. The big one in New Orleans is within hours of getting started – they are expecting lots of people and mucho dinero. Wild reports from the Big Easy should begin coming any time now. This will be a singular event. Chris continues scouting YouTube for good viewing – a great service – and Sam 1914 asks about opening a pool room. Mixed reactions there, but some good advice from the members, like Matt Rosendaul, who is a former room operator and tells what to expect. We must hope Sam makes a good decision and invites us to the opening and prospers.

A bit of commotion in college football. Nick Saban has spoken publicly about the NIL program (Now It’s Legal!) and has named names of his cohorts who he claims are buying players. Jimbo Fisher and Deon Sanders took offense and fired back, but there are some who say Nick was right on the button. NIL promises to be an instant emergency that is in high gear already. Lots more noise on the way.

John Schmidt recently spent a few days in pursuit of a new world record in 14.1 straight pool. He fought it hard and knocked down several thousand shots, but without coming close to his goal. Interesting dilemma here, if players are going to continue. In the absence of a governing body that might certify, who will issue specs, provide oversight, call fouls and create a genuine record book? If ever? John’s effort was at least recorded on camera, but to what end? What if he had succeeded in beating Jason Shaw’s 714 – or 669, as the case may be - who would buy him a trophy, or a championship belt? It’s fodder for endless conjecture. Pool is not nearly ready – but don’t stop now, guys.

Terrible tragedy yesterday in Uvalde, Texas. A young man went into a school and killed a lot of kids and a few adults. The total is still uncertain. In that small town there will be a whole generation with a sizeable gap in it – it’s much worse when it’s kids. It is a real disaster for Uvalde, whether you knew the victims or not. You can watch for the people who will say that the proper laws could have prevented it, by keeping him from having the weapon and the debate will make the news again. But the fact remains, if you want a gun you can get one, or two, and Congress can't do anything about that..

Here's a personal note. On June 9 I will get a pacemaker, due to a ‘dangerously slow heart rate’. A doctor named Freddy will install it and tells me it should improve the quality of my life. Not such a big deal any longer – ambulatory out-patient. It’s really sort of ironic – the money and time being spent to prolong my life. I know I should be more appreciative than I am. But if it makes me feel better . . . . you know.

See you later.

[sw1]

Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
It’s Friday night in Baton Rouge, gasoline is holding steady around $4.45 and over in Hattiesburg the LSU Tigers just made ten runs in the bottom of the 8th inning to beat the Kennesaw State Owls in the baseball playoffs, 14-11.

The big event in New Orleans is in the books and Tony Chohan has taken it down again. We have seen bits of information about a number of high-dollar matches that took place there during the same week, and being the curious railbirds that we are, we await better reports from members who made the trip and saw. Not likely, but we can hope. To be sure, hefty bets are reported year-around at Buffalos.

Also from New Orleans, confirmation of the death of Willie Lee, more than a year ago. He was a genuine gambling man around the local pool rooms and Willie also turned up at the joint in Baton Rouge now and then. I was there one day when he came in and began to give away $5 bills to the players, saying he had made a good score. It wasn’t so much an act of philanthropy as it was a small hedge against future shorts. I took one of his notes and still have it, put away in a notebook, as you might expect. I saw it only a few days ago and was reminded of the circumstance. Last time I saw Willie.

Ray Liotta died just a few days ago and YouTube is awash in related videos about him. He did numerous interviews and personal appearances on talk shows, and was a featured actor in Field of Dreams and Goodfellas and many other films – most of which I never saw. Hollywood liked Liotta and called upon him often. In spite of a chilling laugh, Liotta was not really a macho guy, admitting that he had never had a fight in his life. He was funny and a good guest for the talk show hosts.

I have become a fan of the handsome Indian lady who is the anchor and editor of Gravitas, the only world news program emanating from India. Palki Sharma reads the news for most of the many reports from around the globe, and has a hard-hitting style that draws my attention. She is a Hindu and a Brahmin and often appears in traditional Indian dress, complete with a spot of color between her eyes. The Gravitas menu is wide and pretty much politic-neutral. Everything is fair game and can come under fire on their shows – politics, war, science and human interest. Visit her on YouTube.

MamboFats has weighed in with new pictures from his pool-table-building DIY project in Belgium. It’s still too early to recognize the table itself, but there can be no doubt that a handy guy is doing something serious with lumber. I’m sure many members are following on AZB, where he says there is good dialog to be read. Interesting and informative, to say the least. No word yet on the slate bed.

I’m aware that there are some members here with heart issues of one sort or another, especially among the older guys, but I’m wondering if any of you are carrying pacemakers. I will get mine along about breakfast time this coming Thursday, and Dr. Freddy advises that it should improve my strength and my stamina. Who knows, it could knock thirty seconds off my time in the hundred-yard dash. See you later.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
It’s Monday night in Baton Rouge, gasoline is now more than $5 throughout the country and $6.43 in California, and more and more often I punch in and find that I am the only one here. Doldrums here on the edge of the horse latitudes. 1pwannabe is doing his best to keep us studying – he has posted the last three WWYDs – and he is presenting some fine puzzles. The best ones, consistently, are those with lots of balls and thus lots of possibilities and maximum traffic among the members. We are indebted to my friend Joe. We don’t quite agree on what is most important to the game, but he provides a popular service to this forum and has a bunch of fans. Joe stirs the pot on the subject of tournaments, money matches and matters around the top players. He also keeps stats of various sorts and provides the fodder for many discussions. Don’t say that there’s never a lawyer around when you need one, because sometimes there is.

In the absence of pool news, or even bowling news, lemme tell you about my operation. (groan) I told you I was getting a pacemaker and I did, last Thursday. Turned out to be the full Monty, naked under the gown, general anesthetic and home by midafternoon. I wouldn’t do this to my readers or to this journal if I did not suspect that more than a few of you should have at least a bit of curiosity about pacemakers.

I won’t say I hope you never get one, but I will say that I hope you do get one if you ever need one. Sort of like gun control, maybe. I am not anticipating any miracles in my everyday-life, but they tell me that it’s a fix for multiple heart problems, including the one that brought me in – dangerously low heart rate. It’s supposed to kick in whenever the rate gets too low, like in the forties, and mine does that sometimes. Also, it regulates excessive heart rate. Handy gadget to have in your pocket, so to speak. It’s a comfort to know that I’m not likely to conk out again. That was bad.

Today I saw the device tech lady and she found that it was on the job, and she sent me home with only a couple of orders – wear the sling to bed every night for six weeks (!!) and don’t lift my elbow higher than my shoulder. Now I have a monitor on the little night table in my bedroom, and during the night the pacemaker will communicate with it and report what I did during the day. Periodically, or when needed, the monitor will get in touch with another monitor somewhere else in town and if there is anything to report it will advise the doctor. Important info and all high tech and a comfort to me. I feel better already, in a way, and I met a bunch of impressive people along the way.

Things like this are a part of getting old, or older. Fifteen years ago I would have been horrified to think I might need a pacemaker, but now it’s okay. I’m in favor of anything that can keep me on my feet a little while longer. See you later.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
It’s Friday, gas is $4.45 per gallon, hurricane season is off to a slow start, and the word today is information. Here is what I know about it. When I was in Junior High School – during the WW II years – I had a girlfriend named Miriam Belanger, down in Houma, Louisiana. My folks had the same sort of phone as did the neighbors, a vanilla instrument without a dial. When one picked up the receiver an operator would come on the line and say ‘number, please.’ From there I could say ‘information, please’ and a different operator would demand to know who I wanted to call. I could ask for a number for the Belangers on School Street. There are two listings, she would say, Fenaw (Fernand) or Seemaw (Simon), but Seemaw is about a hundred years old – and the number for Fenaw is 5722. With this useful information I could call up Miriam. Our phone was on a little shelf and there was no place to sit while talking, and not by accident, either. Speak up and move along.

Today, on the information highway, I have made hardly any progress at all since the days of calling Miriam. I find myself relegated to the far right lane, the lane for disabled vehicles. I’m not yet up on blocks, but I’m close. Doing the math, calculating whether or not I can make it to the end in this lane, without joining the speeders.

Just this year I have ditched the comfortable, fat instrument that has come to be called the land line on my desk, at the urging of the people around me. Now I have a smart phone, albeit the most basic one I could find. It’s well-designated a cell phone, no doubt because it confines me. I don’t care what they say. I don’t like it. I have learned to make a call, answer one, check the traffic and clear it out. Navigation is done with the end of my finger. I can also drop the damn’ thing and lose it. It is capable of myriad other functions that I don’t intend to even explore. And I don’t carry it around in my pocket. If you call and miss me, leave a message or try again later or blow it off. Pick one.

Far beyond the cell phone that is about the size of my hand is my computer that fills up a sizeable desk with hardware and connections. There is the CPU, the router, the monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers and the cord that connects it to the printer. Along the way are two well-utilized power strips. It communicates with fk-all other computers out in space and records everything that happens in the world and gives access to any who have passwords, including Putin and the Russians. It confronts me daily and dares me to try anything. No danger of that – all I want is YouTube and this website. Maybe it's not quite that bad, but I intend to try to slip in under the wire without further training. I am no longer geared up for it.

Which brings me to the last paragraph today. Steve is conducting a poll to see whether people other than members should be allowed to take part in the upcoming MOT, and if so, which ones. Seems a bit late to go into that, even though the field is not filling up as it should. Nothing wrong with OnePocket.org putting on a tournament, but MOT would not be the proper designation unless it really is. And as a guy who has put on a few tournaments, I advise Steve not to let the players run the event. Post your rules and take the entries of those willing to comply. Save a lot of trouble.

Facebook looms, but surely there are other ways to be your friend. See you later.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
A traditional hot and sunny 4th of July today in Baton Rouge, there is no gas available for purchase in Sri Lanka at any price, and the 150th National Convention of the WCTU will happen next month, presumably right there on Chicago Ave. in Evanston and without many, if any, of our members in attendance.

Speaking of which, I have several fascinating items for the post today and none are on the topic of pool, and therein lies the genesis for a bit of concern. Other things are making the news. For example, Joey ‘Jaws’ Chestnut took down his 15th consecutive title in the annual hot dog eating contest at Nathan’s, gobbling 63 dogs and buns in the allotted ten minutes. The ladies’ champion ate only 40 of them puppies, reinforcing my own conviction that the women are daintier by nature. When the event was over, the sponsor donated 100,000 such sandwiches to the New York Food Bank. Fodder for over 1500 hungry diners like Joey.

In Chicago a shooter was able to kill at least six people and wound 24 others at a holiday parade today. This is possibly the worst such disaster on this revered anniversary, or perhaps only the worst reported so far, but it was predictable, and I won’t be surprised if others reach the news. Crazy people are all around us, and not all are in Washington. But a lot of them are.

In the nearby city of Zachary the gendarmes were sent out to corral a kangaroo that was hopping around town by himself. They rounded up the jumper and traced him to a facility of some sort that housed wildlife of various kinds. Their investigation concluded that a Macaw had opened the gate and let him out. Mischievous bird, I would say, even for a Macaw.

Along with our own Jimmy B, I am a fan and follower of a tiny chess player in Russia, where the players can pick their own nicknames for competition. Calling herself Pinkamena, and looking to be maybe seven or eight years old, she not only plays, she plays well, with a rating that is approaching 2000. I believe that’s pretty high. In her country, chess is large and many players are small – smaller even than Pinkamena, and a few of them are higher-rated. No doubt there are members here who play chess – maybe even better than Pinkamena – but not as much fun to watch. She is a beauty.

Here's a holiday haiku for you -

Independence Day
take a minute to recall
why we celebrate

See you later.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
It’s hot and rainy in Baton Rouge, gas is down to $3.98 if you know where to buy it -diesel is a dollar more – and Putin is about to become a father again. The pregnant lady is a former Olympic gymnast who already has had four kids with the president, and then there’s a former flight attendant who has one or two more. Vladimir Vladimirovich, now sixty-nine years of age, don’t date no skags. And I have to take back most of the unkind comments I made about him when he invaded Ukraine. He’s not an idiot for starting that war – he knew exactly what he was doing, and that rascal is busy reassembling the old USSR, a country at a time. It remains to be seen whether or not NATO will blow the whistle on him – or when.

There’s activity of a sort here on our .org website, and that has to be good news. We have seen periods when there was little or none. Links to recorded matches from the archives are being offered and several of us are screening the ones that turn up on YouTube and culling out the less-than-elite ones. Current match-ups among the best players today are generating great interest lately, and no doubt there will be some level of such action as long as there are stake horses. These contests are being shown in real time for a fee and we must assume the streamers are doing okay.

In addition there is brisk interest in the upcoming tournaments, including the ones for members only. The one in Belgium will be a ground-breaker for European one-pocket players and could be the start of something big. Lots of pool players over there, and how could they fail to fall for our favorite game? Why play anything else? I must note that Mambo Fats has posted some basic language phrases to help those tourists who don’t speak Flemish. Notably conspicuous by its absence is the local lingo for ‘froze ball’ and ‘no rail!!’ Maybe he can add those. Exclamation mark in Dutch?

The tournament at Bogie’s in Houston has become a big favorite in the few short years since its inception. Limited to players over age sixty-five has been a great rule, and many here are waiting with bait on their breaths to become eligible. The proprietor goes the extra mile for the event and it’s a win-win for all. Lots of our members there, many who have attended them all. I have made the trip twice as a spectator and would go again if I could. I don’t travel any more. McDonalds and Subway within a hundred yards, and Rodeway Inn just down the road.

Memories are made of this and pool memories are golden for the older guys here. Don’t pass this up. Go to Bogie’s if you can. As Hope and Crosby would croon ‘If there’s gas in my hack and my laundry is back, you can tell ‘em I’ll be there.’ If I’m still on my feet and there’s something to eat . . . .’ If I’m not in the clink and there’s something to drink, you can tell 'em I'll be there ’. Now, for those of you who don’t recall this little song, you’re probably not old enough to make this trip anyway. Ask one of your old friends. See you later.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
All is quiet on Sunday afternoon, oatmeal raisin cookies are up by 48% and I picked up a prescription for a $1.09 copay. Why bother, you might say? It’s a fact of life – pills are cheap but eye drops are expensive. Let’s hear it for Humana and Medicare. Ninety pills for next to nothing. I haven’t a clue. They will get me on the next one – a little bottle about two inches high, $99 USD.

We are told that the President is being treated for a mild case of Covid 19, but that’s not all good news. Not much is mild when you are pushing eighty, as he is, but it’s a fact that everybody is pulling for him to recover and get back on the job. Maybe not everybody – just the Democrats and the Republicans. I hope he has good coverage, as this is very important. A matter of great national interest, to say the least.

Things are much too quiet here on the site, and I’m afraid to ask what’s happening – I might not want to know. This is not to say that there is no traffic at all, but only about a dozen members are carrying the load, light as it is. Maybe just a few more, but not near enough. Where have all the flowers gone?

A couple of blue ribbons are in order today. Veteran member beltsander bill has made enquiry concerning information about a one-pocket league he is hoping to organize. Bill has been on the rolls for several years, with only a handful of contacts until recently, but it’s good that he has appealed here for guidance. Definitely good news – both hearing from him and hoping his project will be a roaring success. The response has been quite predictable. Dennis “Whitey” Young has led the short list of those who have offered to help. Whitey is knowledgeable in many areas of the game and generally willing to take part wherever he can and deserving of a lot more blue ribbons than he gets – here’s one for him today.

There is a promo that I have seen several times on the YouTube screen. ‘Genuine Vietnamese women’ are looking for older men. Foreign women and girls looking for older men is not news – us old farts are easy to outlive – but am I to understand that some imitation Vietnamese women have been hitting this market? And how does one tell the difference, assuming one is tempted to partake? At the emporium where I get my tri-annual pedicure, I have always assumed . . . . But now, know what I mean?

Light a candle for old Joe Biden. See you later.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Tuesday evening in Baton Rouge and gas is going for $3.36 and we are told that it’s the lowest rate of any state. No getting around it, Uncle Joe is coming through for the American drivers and I should not have doubted him.

I’ve been in computer jail for the last nine days and believe me it’s miserable in there and getting out is a one-sided battle. Inhuman bondage. I cancelled my TV service a couple of years ago, which doubled my disability. I still have a TV set, on a table in the bedroom and with an antenna up against the window, and the set is standing on end because the only time I watch is when I’m lying in bed.

Regulars for me – I stay up late – are Alfred Hitchcock, Joe Mannix, Frank Cannon, co-ed westerns and a police show with a little red-headed cop who cocks his head when he speaks to the others. In my time of need I surfed around and caught a ballgame one night. It was some kind of Field of Dreams promotion and the Cubs beat the Reds on a neat field in the Iowa outback, up against forty acres of tall corn growing right up against the left field fence. Annual promotion with retro uniforms, and I could almost see Kevin Costner and Ray Liotta out there.

The saturation level of commercial messages at that time of night is horrendous, and makes the deprivation of the internet feed double-tough. Joe Namath is a regular, flogging health insurance for the elderly, and lemme tell you the years have not been kind to Broadway Joe. Watching him smile and wave his arms makes me believe he must have spent all his money.

Incontinence is big this season, and weight-loss, and prostate pills and boosters for the man who has trouble getting it up. Hottest of all this summer is pursuit of some federal government money available for survivors of the contaminated water consumed for many years at Camp Lejeune. Evidently, for more than thirty years the water was not fit to drink and those who used it might be seriously sick now with a variety of terrible maladies that qualify them for recompense. But lordy, the time period ended some thirty-five years ago – time enough to die several times.

Legal firms are beating the bushes, as they do sometimes, to find the victims and get them the ‘money they deserve’. No fee if we don’t win. I’m not talking about one or two such offers for legal assistance – I have seen at least five different firms and more than once the ads have appeared back-to-back. What a scramble – must be a sizeable number of dollars available to be deserved. Obviously, many of the deservers will be next-of-kin.

I will continue with this journal as long as I can, or as long as there are readers, whichever comes first. It has been a lot of fun. It will likely be short on pool matters and long on such as this post. Tonight, I will note only that this website continues to be populated here by a small roster of veteran members and the newbies, some of whom show promise to ably fill the gaps left by those we don’t see currently. A good sign.

Yesterday I came across a website called IlovUAllah. Not such a good sign. See you later.

Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Saturday evening, and I guess I’m in charge around here tonight. Gas is down, groceries are up and I can still get a waffle, grits and coffee for exactly ten bucks at the Waffle House. The last week in August has been the time of some of our worst recent hurricanes, but all is quiet for the present.

Here’s an item worth noting, though far-removed from the one-pocket scene. Here in Louisiana the very first climate refugees have been officially named and relocated. At least once before I have mentioned the Choctaw Indians who lived in Isle De Jean Charles, and the fact that their land was rapidly disappearing into the Gulf of Mexico. Once an area of 22,000 acres, it has become just a tiny shred of earth, accessible by a single narrow road that is sometimes under water. Hurricanes, natural subsidence, oil-field canals and rising sea level have done away with the locale. The Gulf is getting bigger and the state is growing smaller. What to do?

The state of Louisiana, using a federal grant, has purchased 515 acres near Thibodaux, cleared away the sugar cane and laid out a brand-new community with all the customary amenities of a small town. With only a handful of holdouts, the remaining residents are being relocated as I write. They are moving into nice homes that will become theirs after they live in them for five years. The place is called New Isle.

So it’s official – the ice is melting, the sea is rising and Washington has accepted at least part of the responsibility for displaced people. There are nearly twenty states that have some such waterfront property and one must assume they all have a number of people living there with one foot in the drink – will the federal government bail them all out, or only the Native Americans? Don’t say there’s nothing new under the sun, because in Louisiana there is. The Indians are not too happy about it, but they really had no choice.

It is encouraging to see that the Bay Area Pool Masters are still a functioning outfit. Just a few days ago they posted the final match of one of their events. Mike the Lawyer made a valiant effort, but the other guy won. The attorney, however, came away with a very nice piece of cash, unless all the bills I saw were singles. Surely there are other similar groups, maybe not streaming, but I have not heard of any.

I’m sick and tired of the hustlers on TV offering to help me get stuff I deserve. If that’s their best offer, forget it. The government will give me more than that. See you later.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
It’s Tuesday and the state of one-pocket discourse around here is pretty murky. I have no idea how it’s going on Facebook, but on this site it’s only the recent reports from the event in the Netherlands that are keeping us on our feet. I posted a request for a WWYD a week ago and Unoperro finally bailed me out four days later, and a modest bit of discussion has ensued. Speaking of the competition at The Hague, the members who made that trip report nothing but good news about the tournament and nothing but enjoyable touring around the city and environs. Most of the rest of us are righteously jealous, but the canal tour would have been more exciting here in Louisiana, as we could have included wildlife.

And speaking of that MOT from The Hague, let’s think about it a bit. As the initial serious European one-pocket tournament – or the first I have heard of – it apparently was a great success. It seems likely that the tournament will be repeated, and that more of our members are talking of attending. A Yankee, a Swiss and a Swede made it to the final four, but fell to the local player, Alex Lely. So, what’s ahead for them? How many spectators came to watch and how much local publicity and coverage was there, and in response to how much effort? Steve says they take their pool pretty seriously over there!! Seriously as in money? Wishing the best for them, financial support for tournaments will be the name of the game, as it is here. Stake horses and sponsors.

What the hell is it about snooker? The Cazoo British Open will kick off on the 26th of this month, with this championship being worth more than $500,000 to the winner out of a prize pool of nearly $2,400,000! Thousands will attend this week-long meet and millions will tune in on the telly, and Cazoo apparently will consider it a good promotion for them. They are the top auto retailer in the UK and on the continent. Why does Cazoo love snooker so much? Well, they love sports, being active in football, cricket, rugby, golf and even darts. And yeah, I said darts. Why not one-pocket?

We have big auto retailers in the U.S., also, but we can’t deliver the viewers. Not last year, not this year and probably not next year. No Field of Dreams for us – we can build it but not enough people will show up. I believe better days are coming, but that’s a relative concept. See you later.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Today is the last day of September, it’s a sunny 75 degrees in Baton Rouge, and in Russia you can’t buy a plane ticket for any money. Putin has called up his reserves and the line was busy. Looks to me like he is on his uppers, but remember that in March I didn’t figure he would make it to April, so what do I know?

Since my last post the Queen has died and so has Earnie Shavers. I am saying it has been a while. Only the weather has improved since then and not even that for the people in Florida. Glad to report that we didn’t lose any members to the storm.

I received a crisp new $2 bill in the mail from a politician. He said he was sorry he could not sit down and have coffee with me so we could work out what to do about Joe Biden and the Democrats, but here is a deuce to at least buy mine. Then he went on to say that now it was my turn to send some money to him, but I don’t think he was hoping for two dollars. I wonder if he will notice that I didn’t send anything.

Miller recently posted a thread noting that it was getting pretty dead around here, and he is absolutely right about that. It got only a few responses and even fewer promises to do better. It is all too common to find that I am here alone, or maybe with one or two of the regulars. Even in the daytime. And it moves me to decide that this journal has gone on long enough - more than five years, if I remember correctly. It has been a hoot, but I’m not as good a typist as I used to be and it gets more and more difficult to even amuse myself, which is why such journals happen. I know that there are readers who might hate to see it go, but not a helluva lot of them. Bless ‘em for hanging in with me – I do note their presence.

Good to see that John Henderson has begun a journal and it should be a favorite, as he has pool stories, which I never did. Pool stories are always welcome to pool players. He can write, too. I see that Buffalo is doing something similar on Facebook. It would be nice if he would send his stuff along to this site. A big action room like his would be a gold mine.

I don’t want to put the bee on John, but I recommend that he write to us as often as he can. The journal forum has been a great idea and it should not be allowed to die on the vine. One pocket.org is much different than the earliest version. (I’ve been a member for eighteen years) A lot has been lost, especially as the old members go where old pool players go, and today the bread and butter is tournaments and high-dollar matches. That’s all well and good, but opinion, commentary and recollection should continue to be a feature. Let’s face it – ours is a very narrow foundation and we are seeing what can happen. Steve says he will make more time for it – that’s good.

That’s it. I will continue to post something now and then – I’m not jumping off the deep end (note, Larry), but there was never any guarantee for Unpaid Bills.