This Place Is Dead....

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Howdy Miller.
Sorry to say I've been a contributor to the deadness around here.
We settled back in Houston after the camping trip and found a cool place on 5 acres in Conroe a bit north of Houston that we moved into a couple months ago. House will be great, but right now it is nothing but projects and deferred maintenance. So between that, work, and the kids, my time for anything pool related has dwindled.
Property has a good sized shop that i'm dying to portion off part of and build out a little mancave with a table, but i'm thinking that's far down the line.
Hopefully I can find a bit of time to get out to bogies this weekend to catch some of the action. We'll see.
Cheers,
Rene

glad to hear you and your family are well. sounds like that extended road trip was worh it. only live once kind of thing. hope we can get together someday. go easy brother.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
My man Miller. Because you asked I will try to post a bit also. Anything for you brother. I have been playing but not as often as before lockdowns. I was playing really well for a minute but now I’m just trying to hang in there. Just once or twice a week. Though I did play in Richmond and DC last week while on a great work trip. (Pool, fishing and golf, my kind of trip!)

take er easy….

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Doing alright but not hitting balls.
It's a bitch when you move away from your home away from home.
The disconnect is profound - .

begging the obvious question, Billy: are you right handed or left?
Right handed .

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
Right handed
I can watch a player shoot for innings, but when I finally realize he's left-handed it looks awkward to me from then on.
Best to you for not being caught awkwardly left handed with tool in hand, or otherwise I wouldn't be able to move past this as readily.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Larry. My favorite MD. Hope all that shit weather went north of you and having a good time at seniors.

Larry is great at anything he puts his mind to. Unmatched IQ. Feel lucky he put all that into an honorable profession over being a scuff - which he manages to do pretty sporty nonetheless. Best tennis player on the site.

And my friend.
Aw shucks dustin thanks for such kind words
although exagerated 😂😂😂
you have been agreat buddy for years
i appreciate that my friend 👍👍
larry

evergruven

Verified Member
while moving to (north) seattle in 2018, I was so excited, because I knew I was going to be a mile away from the best pool hall in town, and a haven for 1hole. I'd only taken pool seriously a few years prior and knew less than zilch about one pocket (these days I'll fess up to a flat zilch), but was enchanted by the scene, having gotten to witness players like louie, platis, ronn and many others, do their thing. I had only just been introduced to the game, and couldn't wait to be a fixture on the rail, soaking up whatever action I could. by the time I'd finished moving into the new place, the golden fleece had closed. cold.
(note: the 'fleece has since relocated to everett, wa- about a half hour north, and is still a fine pool establishment)

enter covid, and for related reasons, I've essentially sequestered myself from the rest of the (3-d) pool-playing world. the good news is I have access to mostly-private 8-foot table, and I'm very grateful for that. I practice/play solo a few days a week, and once a week, my best pool pal comes over and we spar. I've mentioned that we've played some 1hole before in a previous thread, but are both still novices to the game.

I say all this to say that maybe I would be more active here, were my pool-playing situation different, but I don't know. I have a lot to be thankful for, but really miss mixing it up in various bars and 'halls. I read, watch vids, ponder and play, but feel a bit like "the omega man" these days. I do know that this place is such a trove/testament to the great game, and it's you all that make it go. much appreciated. and I do want to contribute, I just don't know anything ^_^ I've started torturing myself by filming and watching my sessions, maybe one of these days I'll film some 1p and give y'all something to laugh at. until whenever, I feel fortunate to be a member of such a fine community. best of rolls to you all (even if/when we play).

~sean

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
chatted with fast eddie friedman this evening. horse player deluxe. think i might have talked him into dcc... anyway, we're gonna handicap some ponies nonetheless. my man. :)

said he's gonna show up and get in a post or two again soon.

next.....i plan to pull sappo outta retirement.....

miss this place for what it used to be.

gonna work on ghost as well....whatever he is butt-hurt about....gotta get over that....

c'mon man.

:cool:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Whitey is trying his best. He created a new game of banks posted in the bank/carom section. I told him I would try to video me trying it out, so if you want a good laugh, check it out.

Post in thread '7-Ball - Long Side - Banks!' https://onepocket.org/forum/index.php?threads/7-ball-long-side-banks.432217/post-483048
Thanks!
In going in to threading my new game of banks, I knew I would not get much response, which is sad in and of its self, but that is the way it is. This game promotes OP banks like no other, especially if you play it by the rail, so it is disheartening that the bankers are not acknowledging this. I am maybe taboo, for any member that truly loves banks would easily recognize the benefits of this game. It can also be played by standard banks in which a ball can be made in any pocket, for fast action.

But in keeping with the theme of this thread, it is hard to justify threading when fellow bank members do not support. I only threaded it because why keep it to myself, what good would that do, and someone somewhere just might try it, at least Hank is going to!

On the bank forum, members can post up great banks when they run across them, and also great kick shots. Crabcatjohn posted up a great ring game banks tournament for example, that was great. I like that so much better than watching the pros. So there are simple things that can be done to boost the thread.
Whitey

Last edited:

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Personally I haven't been in the other forums very much lately. Been a while since I've even been in the bank forum.. Had a lot of projects around here to finish up

Reactions: lll

MrBouncy

while moving to (north) seattle in 2018, I was so excited, because I knew I was going to be a mile away from the best pool hall in town, and a haven for 1hole. I'd only taken pool seriously a few years prior and knew less than zilch about one pocket (these days I'll fess up to a flat zilch), but was enchanted by the scene, having gotten to witness players like louie, platis, ronn and many others, do their thing. I had only just been introduced to the game, and couldn't wait to be a fixture on the rail, soaking up whatever action I could. by the time I'd finished moving into the new place, the golden fleece had closed. cold.
(note: the 'fleece has since relocated to everett, wa- about a half hour north, and is still a fine pool establishment)

Twas a sad October day indeed when I was told that the Fleece would be shut down at the end of the month with no definite plans to reform at the time. Was quite happy to hear about it coming back but even the previous location meant carving out a whole day to travel back and forth for a few hours of play in the afternoon, so I still haven't made it up to Everett to see what the current incarnation looks like. After the Clubhouse shut down, with the lack of 9ft Diamonds to play on around town if I didn't have my own in the garage now (thanks COVID) I'd certainly make it more of a priority to get back to the Fleece, but crossing through Seattle and the general state of the ferry system these days I don't get out and about nearly as much.

I say all this to say that maybe I would be more active here, were my pool-playing situation different, but I don't know. I have a lot to be thankful for, but really miss mixing it up in various bars and 'halls. I read, watch vids, ponder and play, but feel a bit like "the omega man" these days. I do know that this place is such a trove/testament to the great game, and it's you all that make it go. much appreciated. and I do want to contribute, I just don't know anything ^_^ I've started torturing myself by filming and watching my sessions, maybe one of these days I'll film some 1p and give y'all something to laugh at. until whenever, I feel fortunate to be a member of such a fine community. best of rolls to you all (even if/when we play).

~sean

We chatted some before and I hope one day we can get together, if you're willing to take a boat out to Vashon next spring/summer I'd be happy to have you over and we can fire up the streaming gear to go back and study our own shortcomings afterwards.

Until then, stay safe and shoot straight..

Marc

evergruven

Verified Member
Twas a sad October day indeed

gut punch. but as you hinted at, adapt or..don't :)

We chatted some before and I hope one day we can get together, if you're willing to take a boat out to Vashon next spring/summer I'd be happy to have you over and we can fire up the streaming gear to go back and study our own shortcomings afterwards.

appreciate the shout and invite, marc..sounds good! (even the discussing shortcomings part ^_^)
until then, good thoughts and straight shots to you-

~sean

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Two occurrences, both freely and enthusiastically under my control, have kept me from dabbling on my computer's keyboard.

First, I've been keeping very late hours where I have a Diamond Pro-Am set-up in a warehouse. I usually get there around 10 at night and leave at 4 or 5 in the morning. It's a secluded hang-out with a big screen tv, comfortable couch, and a stocked refrigerator. Jim Pilot visited the warehouse a couple of months ago. He was very rude :ROFLMAO: beating me out of a couple of one-pocket games on my pool table. It's been reported that playing games regularly may increase gray matter in the brain and boost brain connectivity whereby your muscle control, memories, perception, and spatial navigation are heightened. Not so much for me. :(

Second, I have been traveling to various major league baseball parks ⚾ like Fenway Park in Massachusetts, Chase Field in Arizona, and the Ballpark of the Palm Beaches in Florida, to watch my 17-year-old grandson, Zion Rose, play in multiple "showcase tournaments" throughout the country. I feel like I'm like Jim Pilot going to all these different locales except I sometimes drive 🚐 to them instead of fly 🛩️ to them. Last month my grandson changed schools for his senior year going from Brother Rice in Chicago to IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida. I thought most of his organized baseball would be behind him for a few months, but his new school has a tournament in the Dominican Republic next week. Oh well, where is Jim Pilot when I need him? 😂

Nevertheless, I'll be driving next month to Memphis for our little onepocket.org tournament 🎱 and hopefully it will be a full field of players.

Last edited:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
you da man vap. backbone of onepocket.org.
:)
I think that there needs to be a match at your house between two players like myself and someone, not Mitch the Beast. I dont want the whole forum to realized how badly my game has fallen off. Im thinking Warren, someone from Rosemont Mn? We do like Ghost and Hendy did a few years ago. Race to ……. For a three days period, not including any foot ball nights. Who has some cash to put up for some axtune? $3000 didn’t go far when John and I went to Chicago. After room, food, airlines, tips and ice cream, I think we lost $40 ea. But then again I dont have $300 right now. If I save my SS checks real tight and give up Red Bull, I might be able to come up with some cash. I know I am going out on a limb to play either one. I played Warren almost every time we went to Houston except for the time I was poisoned by another member who shall go unnamed. I am a few games ahead, 0-0. I think Milton and I played once in Mitch’s back yard MOT. He won the tie breaker. 3-2.
Lets get it on.

Attachments

• 2DE6E191-C5EC-49C0-9F22-1031C42EF6D4.jpeg
    2DE6E191-C5EC-49C0-9F22-1031C42EF6D4.jpeg
    908 KB · Views: 7