The Pilot Came To Town

baby huey

Verified Member
The Pilot came to Ventura yesterday and we played a little One Pocket. We played about seven hours and I was fortunate to break even. Jim put some bank shots on me that were 'WORLD CLASS." He had me scratching my head with the pounding he put on me. I had him games where I had 6/1 leads and lost to his banking skills. So I reached into my tool box and switched pockets on him and for some reason it worked. Probably just a fluke but I came back and was happy with the ending. Thanks Jim for coming and playing. You are a true gentleman.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
The Pilot came to Ventura yesterday and we played a little One Pocket. We played about seven hours and I was fortunate to break even. Jim put some bank shots on me that were 'WORLD CLASS." He had me scratching my head with the pounding he put on me. I had him games where I had 6/1 leads and lost to his banking skills. So I reached into my tool box and switched pockets on him and for some reason it worked. Probably just a fluke but I came back and was happy with the ending. Thanks Jim for coming and playing. You are a true gentleman.
It’s always a pleasure to visit you. You had some pretty good runouts and just destroyed me for about five games. I’m happy to break even😁

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
How many games total do you guys think you played.

I have an over/under line with lots of bets booked. If I make anything you guys are in. 👌🏻

warrenr

Verified Member
I got a question. In one pocket you’re has a ball in his hole and is covered by three other balls. You shoot at the balls and two fly off the table and the one in the pocket went in. Does the ball that went into his pocket stay are that ball come out and spots with the ones that went off the table? Cue ball stayed on the table.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
An ob that goes off the table is a foul, thus that ball spots and then you have to also spot a scored ball for the foul, if you have one, otherwise it is owed.
Now with two balls going off the table then both balls spot, but there can be only 1 foul, never can you have two fouls in one shot. So you also spot a scored ball for the foul, unless owed.
The ball being pocketed in the opponent's pocket will count for the opponent as a scored ball.

Now if there was a pocket scratch or the cue ball is jumped off the table then that ball would not score for the opponent, and therefore would spot.

But, on all other fouls then that ball would be scored for the opponent.
Whitey

Last edited:

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
An ob that goes off the table is a foul, thus that ball spots and then you have to also spot a scored ball for the foul, if you have one, otherwise it is owed.
Now with two balls going off the table then both balls spot, but there can be only 1 foul, never can you have two fouls in one shot. So you also spot a scored ball for the foul, unless owed.
The ball being pocketed in the opponent's pocket will count for the opponent as a scored ball.

Now if there was a pocket scratch or the cue ball is jumped off the table then that ball would not score for the opponent, and therefore would spot.

But, on all other fouls then that ball would be scored for the opponent.
Whitey
One of the three went into MY hole, does that one stay down also 🤦🏻‍♂️

It doesn’t matter what end of it I’m on, if there is a foul…balls come up no matter what pocket they go in.

That is pretty simple. 🤷🏻‍♂️

If the rule is how you said, it’s pretty stupid and needs to be changed.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

It doesn’t matter what end of it I’m on, if there is a foul…balls come up no matter what pocket they go in.

this is from our rules
the part in blue i added to address this situation
i think whitey explained it well
6.2 Scoring for fouls: Any scratch or foul results in the end of the shooter’s inning, as well as a standard one ball penalty. All balls pocketed in the shooter’s pocket as a result of a stroke that includes a foul do not count for the shooting player and are to be immediately spotted, along with the standard one ball penalty.
Also, any balls pocketed in the opponent’s pocket on a stroke that ends in a pocket scratch or a jumped cue ball off the table are not to be counted for the opponent, and are to be immediately spotted.
However, on a stroke when any other foul is committed (such as a push shot, double-hit or illegal ball contact), (or jumped ball off table foul)
any balls scored into the opponent’s pocket are to stay down and be counted for the opponent.
ref: 5.1 No jumped cue ball option

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
this is from our rules
the part in blue i added to address this situation
i think whitey explained it well
6.2 Scoring for fouls: Any scratch or foul results in the end of the shooter’s inning, as well as a standard one ball penalty. All balls pocketed in the shooter’s pocket as a result of a stroke that includes a foul do not count for the shooting player and are to be immediately spotted, along with the standard one ball penalty.
Also, any balls pocketed in the opponent’s pocket on a stroke that ends in a pocket scratch or a jumped cue ball off the table are not to be counted for the opponent, and are to be immediately spotted.
However, on a stroke when any other foul is committed (such as a push shot, double-hit or illegal ball contact), (or jumped ball off table foul)
any balls scored into the opponent’s pocket are to stay down and be counted for the opponent.
ref: 5.1 No jumped cue ball option

That shows what I meant by keeping it simple.

All you need is the first sentence and add…and all balls pocketed also get spotted.

KISS 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.

On a pocket scratch or the cue ball jumps off the table, then any ball pocketed in any pocket will be spotted.
On any other foul, a ball pocketed in the opponent's pocket will stay down, but in any other pocket, including the shooter's scoring pocket the ball will spot.
On any foul, the shooter owes the table a ball, and if you score plus foul, then that ball spots plus another ball for the foul, unless it is owed.

I hope this is more understandable!
Thanks for the questions!
Whitey

Reactions: lll

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
On a pocket scratch or the cue ball jumps off the table, then any ball pocketed in any pocket will be spotted.
On any other foul, a ball pocketed in the opponent's pocket will stay down, but in any other pocket, including the shooter's scoring pocket the ball will spot.
On any foul, the shooter owes the table a ball, and if you score plus foul, then that ball spots plus another ball for the foul, unless it is owed.

I hope this is more understandable!
Thanks for the questions!
Whitey
Thanks for the reply.

I understand and understood but was questioning why we always have all these rules that require a long explanation instead of something simple.

Straight pool: Touch a ball-foul.

One pocket: Touch a ball or two-move it back…did it affect the cue ball path…did the ball cross the path of the cue ball…blah blah blah

I’m just glad I learned early…whatever way the sucker I’m playing wants to play…that’s how we play. 😎

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
the rules say that on fouls other than CB scratches, or CB off the table balls pocketed in the opponents pocket stay down....but, if we played by Steve's suggestion where on any foul of any kind NO pocketed balls in any hole count....we would eliminate the need to deliberately jump the CB off the table when the last ball on the table is hanging in the pocket and a scratch is not possible.....this could be a good idea... :)

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
the rules say that on fouls other than CB scratches, or CB off the table balls pocketed in the opponents pocket stay down....but, if we played by Steve's suggestion where on any foul of any kind NO pocketed balls in any hole count....we would eliminate the need to deliberately jump the CB off the table when the last ball on the table is hanging in the pocket and a scratch is not possible.....this could be a good idea... :)

That is a different scenario.

For sure you can’t go for a guy double hitting the cue ball and just making the hanging ball…then calling a foul on himself.

I went into my old pool room a few months back after about 5 years not being there. 🤦🏻‍♂️

They were playing you just “said” that you were jumping the table and picked up both the hanging ball and the cue ball. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Didn’t matter where the balls laid on the table. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I said WTF, most of these shots, you guys can’t jump them off a Diamond anyway. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
S, Points will taken about simplistic rule writing, of which if possible, it then leads to better player comprehensive.

I've been wanting to state this;

I find Baby Huey's mixing it up by switching pockets very interesting, for he was up against Pilot on fire.
Putting aside Pilot's playing ability, I have the greatest respect in how he is keeping himself mentally and physically in the game. You have to, to play OP at a respectable level. He brought this to the MOT, and he had some tough match ups!

Pilot pick up right where he left off at the MOT, banking lights out. Congrats, and congrats to Baby Huey for coming back! Like Keither states; "when a guy is bringing it, you have to do something to change it up".

thanks to you guys for matching up, and thanks for the follow up thread!
Whitey

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
That is a different scenario.

For sure you can’t go for a guy double hitting the cue ball and just making the hanging ball…then calling a foul on himself.
That is exactly what I had in mind....when the alternative is fast developing that room owners or TD's are simply banning jumping the CB off the table, so that players simply declare their intention to do so....why not just make ALL fouls of any kind accomplish the same thing.

Still requires some skill and the opportunity because there are situations where committing the necessary foul is difficult if not impossible. Declaring your intention is ALWAYS available and possible which seems unfair, don't you think?

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I went to Ojai and my intention was to play Jerry the three days of my trip. It was very hot for me and I flew home the second day. When you live in 70 degree highs, 95 is too much. What wonderful stories I could have told about having the nuts and letting them get away.