The Original US Open 1Pocket Tournament in Kalamazoo, MI

MattRosendaul

Verified Member
Hey Matt.....Hope all is well. I miss my Kalamazoo field trips. Your tournaments were STILL THE BEST RUN TOURNAMENTS.....PERIOD!!! John L.
Thanks John! I miss those old days. I still can’t believe all the legends we got to see and know during those events. I hope everything is going well at RS and you’ve weathered the storm without too much damage.

I played for the first time yesterday in about 20 years. After a few racks of just random shooting, I racked up a couple full racks and played the ghost. As I was thinking about a couple shots, I could hear Grady talking to me. I’d say, “what about this…” and he’d reply “not with a gun to my head” or “fraught with peril”. I got the better of my ghost, but only because he shoots at flyers.

BTW, can you send a note to NH Steve and verify my profile?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks John! I miss those old days. I still can’t believe all the legends we got to see and know during those events. I hope everything is going well at RS and you’ve weathered the storm without too much damage.

I played for the first time yesterday in about 20 years. After a few racks of just random shooting, I racked up a couple full racks and played the ghost. As I was thinking about a couple shots, I could hear Grady talking to me. I’d say, “what about this…” and he’d reply “not with a gun to my head” or “fraught with peril”. I got the better of my ghost, but only because he shoots at flyers.

BTW, can you send a note to NH Steve and verify my profile?
I got ya Matt, sorry Steve probably was waiting and thought you may want to combine your 2 profiles so that you get your old registered date years ago when you first signed up. You can still keep your same new username and pic and email. Let us know if you want to merge them!

MattRosendaul

Verified Member
I got ya Matt, sorry Steve probably was waiting and thought you may want to combine your 2 profiles so that you get your old registered date years ago when you first signed up. You can still keep your same new username and pic and email. Let us know if you want to merge them!
If you can combine them that works for me, as long as my current username and login can stay the same. Just make any changes to clean things up and let me know if I need to do anything.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
If you can combine them that works for me, as long as my current username and login can stay the same. Just make any changes to clean things up and let me know if I need to do anything.
Nope, nothing you need to do, you are good to go!

Now your sign up date is from 2005 and you gained a few more posts from back then.

MattRosendaul

Verified Member
Nope, nothing you need to do, you are good to go!

Now your sign up date is from 2005 and you gained a few more posts from back then.
Thank you. That’s perfect. At least from my profile I don’t look like a newb. My game on the other hand is a dead giveaway.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
I can give you a little history about how this tournament came about:
In 1993, Ed Hall was still the owner of Billiards Playground in Kalamazoo Mi. I was his manager and best friend, and we drove out to the BCA Expo in Kansas City that year. In addition to some other goals for the show, we wanted to find a pro player to do an exhibition and maybe a workshop or two. We had hosted a few trick shot shows (Fast Eddie Parker and I think Tom Rossman), but we really wanted a player, not just a trick shooter.

As we worked the floor of the expo it became clear that most of them were out of our budget. Massey, Buddy Hall, the Miz, etc. all wanted thousands plus expenses. On a whim, being a one pocket player and a fan of Grady’s column in BD, I found “The Professor” at the Accu-Stats booth and started asking about doing an exhibition for us. He only wanted $300 and expenses! We hired him on the spot and booked a date a couple months out.
when he came to the room that fall, it was the best $300 we ever spent. Grady not only did a trick/fancy shot exhibition. but also ran 100 balls, took challenge matches, and did a ton of demonstrations and lessons that day. He was there from open to close and said he’d stick around a couple more days if we’d cover his room and meals which we gladly did. He stayed and played and taught for two more days. At some point in that visit, having discovered our local affection for one pocket, he said we should host a U.S, Open One Pocket tournament and he’d help promote it and get it running. He helped us for the first few years and then Ed and I did it all ourselves after the momentum was going.

That first year, 1994, we didn’t know what to expect. Every day we were getting checks in the mail and phone calls from LEGENDS, many of whom are in the One Pocket HOF, and even in the BCA HOF. Jack Cooney, Cornbread, Bugs, Varner, Vickery, Cookie Monster, Incardona, Freddy The Beard, Teddy the Greek, Lou Figueroa, John Lavin :) on and on.

Then we started getting calls from spectators who couldn’t find a hotel room. We had block reserved about 60 rooms at the nearest three motels and they were all full now. I started calling other hotels around town and three of them told me they had no rooms available. “Some huge pool tournament has every room in town booked up” they said. I looked at Ed and said, “I think we have a problem. Either someone else booked a tournament on top of ours or this thing is gonna be bigger than we can handle.”

We rushed around and rented two more sets of bleachers and ordered more T-shirts and hired some temporary helpers (Ed’s mom sold the tickets and managed the flow of spectators). Everything turned out better than we ever imagined, and we had created a tournament that people still talk about nearly 30 years later. We did have a visit from the fire Marshall about exceeding our building capacity and people parking In the fire lanes, but he was cool and just told us to clear the fire lane and have a good event.

I had bought the pool room and the tournament from Ed in 1997 when he moved to Lansing for another business opportunity. He still came down and helped run the tournaments each year, but I was on my own for the rest, and it was a lot of work. The seventh annual tournament, in 2000, would be our last year running it, and we had certainly outgrown the pool room as a venue. I worked with the convention and visitors bureau and the Radisson hotel downtown. The basement of the hotel that originally stood there was a legendary room back in the old days, even back in the late 1800s. The room was there for a long time, and I spoke with Jimmy Caras one time at the expo and he remembered playing exhibition matches there.

The event was a smashing success, especially since we had partnered with Diamond for the tables. It was a bit tough finding extra staff to work in two locations, especially since all our regular customers who I had deputized as employees in the past didn’t want to work but wanted to watch. We pulled it off again, but in all those seven years, we barely broke even each time. Without major cash sponsors and selling TV rights, it’s hard to make a dollar on a tournament over $1000 added. I was usually sweating bullets each day of the tournament counting the money coming in because I had personally laid out all the money ahead of time and hoped to earn it back.

Although it was a ton of work, I wouldn’t trade a minute of it for all the money you can stack.

Matt, your events have to be my favorite of all time.

If memory serves, I played in four of them and always had a ball. The Billiard Playground was a great room and you ran a fabulous tournament. I especially liked how you'd advertise the dates well in advance and get through the tournament in three days. You had all the legends coming out of the wood work to play and it was the first time I really ever got the chance to see guys like Cliff Joyner and and Cookie Monster play in person. Of course there were also the after hours Vespers we'd hold at the Good Church of The Mermaid. The girls there really got your attention when they came around to pass the collection plate, particularly because they was no plate and you had to figure something else out to make your donation, lol.

Anywhos, glad to see you posting and thanks for all the years you put in running the premiere 1pocket event contemporary players have ever seen.

Lou Figueroa

MattRosendaul

Verified Member
One of the great things about our tournament was the laid back nature of the players. Sometimes they'd show up several days early and hang out several days after the tournament. Here are two snapshots from after the first tournament. Top picture is (L to R) Jeff Carter, Steve Cook, Howard Vickery, Buddy Hall, Mike LeBron, and Wade Crane. I don't think Buddy was in the H.o.F yet. The second picture is Nick Varner and his wife Tony sitting at the booth under his H.o.F. picture. For those who never visited Billiards Playground, the front of the room was a restaurant area we called the Hall of Fame Cafe.

Power lunch.jpgNick and Tony.jpg

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Interesting to see everyone so young. I'd forgotten that Mrs. Varner was such a doll. Used to see that whole gang in Reno during the '90s. Unfortunately I never attended one of the Kalamazoo events.

MattRosendaul

Verified Member
Efren's Payday. This was the final tournament held in Kalamazoo at the Radisson Plaza.
Efren's Payday.jpgEfren and Mike.jpg

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Interesting to see everyone so young. I'd forgotten that Mrs. Varner was such a doll. Used to see that whole gang in Reno during the '90s. Unfortunately I never attended one of the Kalamazoo events.

She had an identical twin sister Doc. Don’t know what happened to her.