The Beard

Skin

Verified Member
Well, if all this is about is nobody showing interest in Fred's ideas on the psychological side of the game, that is a crying shame in my book. I thought he was right on target but didn't have the chance to contribute before the thread descended into Internet Posting Hell.

The psyche aspect was, and continues to be, a significant component of my game. Winning isn't always about flawless execution of the shots and impeccable decisions. Sometimes it is only about making the right psychological read of the opponent and doing exactly what is worst for his mindset.

I discovered this as a slow starter. I often didn't know if I was in over my head just because I was down early (almost always against a guy I didn't know). My strategy was to keep the match going as long as I could to give me time to learn not only the other guy's game, but his head. Where the head goes the game surely follows.

Tournament players play against the table. I have never excelled in tournament play because of that. B-O-R-I-N-G! The excitement for me has always been in capturing ownership of my man completely - body, mind, and soul. It takes time, heart, and smarts to get a worthwhile scalp, but boy is that ever the thrill of the hunt and kill! Mastery of the psy ops - the game within the game - is essential.

Skin < not talking about sharking here

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
If you are referring to a shot that gets your opponents attention and changes the way he plays from that point on?

Leaving you a long bank, then you make it and get shape on another ball,
Or,
Leaving you dog nuts locked up safe and you getting out of it and leaving him in a similar or worse safe.

Testers they are.. I guess that is why when it comes to a mental match up, I am only half armed. :eek:

Skin said:
Well, if all this is about is nobody showing interest in Fred's ideas on the psychological side of the game, that is a crying shame in my book. I thought he was right on target but didn't have the chance to contribute before the thread descended into Internet Posting Hell.

The psyche aspect was, and continues to be, a significant component of my game. Winning isn't always about flawless execution of the shots and impeccable decisions. Sometimes it is only about making the right psychological read of the opponent and doing exactly what is worst for his mindset.

I discovered this as a slow starter. I often didn't know if I was in over my head just because I was down early (almost always against a guy I didn't know). My strategy was to keep the match going as long as I could to give me time to learn not only the other guy's game, but his head. Where the head goes the game surely follows.

Tournament players play against the table. I have never excelled in tournament play because of that. B-O-R-I-N-G! The excitement for me has always been in capturing ownership of my man completely - body, mind, and soul. It takes time, heart, and smarts to get a worthwhile scalp, but boy is that ever the thrill of the hunt and kill! Mastery of the psy ops - the game within the game - is essential.

Skin < not talking about sharking here

Skin

Verified Member
SactownTom said:
If you are referring to a shot that gets your opponents attention and changes the way he plays from that point on?

Leaving you a long bank, then you make it and get shape on another ball,
Or,
Leaving you dog nuts locked up safe and you getting out of it and leaving him in a similar or worse safe.

Testers they are.. I guess that is why when it comes to a mental match up, I am only half armed. :eek:

Tom, I meant something a little different that is as hard to describe as feeling a shot. If you can get enought time, you can "feel" the opponent and know from that when the iron is hot enough to strike to get him. Sometimes that is when he is playing really well, even. I guess it is another part of being a feel player. I don't know of any rules that govern it, it just is imo.

Skin

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
scary.....

scary.....

.....way to do it,but were all God's chillun here.Many paths to salvation.Personally,I almost always tried to make a friend out of an enemy but some guys can't be reached.Must of been that year in the jungle.........cheers,B

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
Skin said:
Tom, I meant something a little different that is as hard to describe as feeling a shot. If you can get enought time, you can "feel" the opponent and know from that when the iron is hot enough to strike to get him. Sometimes that is when he is playing really well, even. I guess it is another part of being a feel player. I don't know of any rules that govern it, it just is imo.

Skin

I find it odd that I, as a small time banger, small stakes, occasional player (on my third come back now) know EXACTLY what you're talking about. Being a "pool player", I've resisted the temptation to drive the nail on most occasions (for the purity of the game), but have occasionally fallen from the true path and gone for the kill--but only if the stakes were high enough.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
usblues said:
.....way to do it,but were all God's chillun here.Many paths to salvation.Personally,I almost always tried to make a friend out of an enemy but some guys can't be reached.Must of been that year in the jungle.........cheers,B

My year in the jungle was a bit less than a year, through no fault of my own. But it was fun while it lasted.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
me too

me too

I had like 45 days to go and stepped on a little land mine.Wouldnt of missed for the world.At least thats what I say now.I would of said something a little different then[69]......cheers,B

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
usblues said:
I had like 45 days to go and stepped on a little land mine.Wouldnt of missed for the world.At least thats what I say now.I would of said something a little different then[69]......cheers,B

I agree. Song Be, 1968. Hit the wall of my advisory team HQ eight times with a 75 recoiless. Pretty much eliminated our five man team and got me a ticket home.

JAM

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Why not just let the man's words speak for themselves?...[snipped the copy-and-pastes]

The man is not posting, yet you find it important to post some negative back-and-forth colloquy in this thread, a thread which was solely created to lure Freddy back to this forum. It was a happy, fun thread initially, but it's now taken a turn for the worse. Congratulations. You've accomplished turning this thread into a negative reading experience.

This is why pool forums suck. Happy posting!

oldspurguy

Verified Member
From
Beaumont, Texas
JAM said:
The man is not posting, yet you find it important to post some negative back-and-forth colloquy in this thread, a thread which was solely created to lure Freddy back to this forum. It was a happy, fun thread initially, but it's now taken a turn for the worse. Congratulations. You've accomplished turning this thread into a negative reading experience.

Dennis is chief shit stirrer. That's what Dennis do.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
JAM said:
The man is not posting, yet you find it important to post some negative back-and-forth colloquy in this thread, a thread which was solely created to LURE Freddy back to this forum. It was a happy, fun thread initially, but it's now taken a turn for the worse. Congratulations. You've accomplished turning this thread into a negative reading experience.

Jam
It's hard to lure paranoid people. :)
PS. Maybe encourage them.

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
androd said:
Jam
It's hard to lure paranoid people. :)

People dont post just because we ask them to post or because we want them to post. Freddy will post when he wants too post and when he feels like posting.

Pushing people too do something doesnt work. Or we think because we are friends with them that they will post because we ask them. Or use our friend ship to get them to post.

Or even put up a qouistion that we no they want too answer too. But some people when they make up thier mind. It almost becomes a contest. Like picka boo. And they wont answer.

Not because they dont want too answer. But because they are no ready too answer yet in thier mind. And once they have made up thier mind to answer they will answer.

And Freddy is my Friend And if he doesnt answer even if I ask him he is still my friend nothing changes that.

But when Freddy decids too answer he will answer. If he decides not too answer then he wont answer. It is not my decision to tell him to answer or noy to answer. It is Freddys decisions and its about how he feels about it.

Some people it takes more time and some people will never answer. But Freddy mite wake uo one morning feeling good and say. I am going to answer to my friends and all the people who whant to her from me.

And how we feel has a lot too do with what we do in life. And even how we play pool.

Freddy is a very intelagent man and he will see that this site has been part off his life. And we just cant let go a peace off our life.

WE gave our time and wisdom and knowledge and all our stories off our life on the site.

And we cant just walk away from all our memories and events and choices that we made to create who we are.

Nobody can say I never lived my life. And Freddy will come back when he is ready. And decides that is what HE wants too do. Freddy doesnt owe any one anything. THe only person he has to answer too is himself.

What ever choice you make it soes not change anything I am still your friend to the END. AB