Team Ronnie Allen Wins and Loses in Vegas

JAM

Verified Member
I think it's kind of cool that Ronnie still steps up to the plate and engages in games of stake. I'll bet he put on a show Ronnie style with his gift of gab. :D

With the advent of the Internet and technology, the era of action has taken a turn. It will never be quite the same. Nobody goes on the road in pursuit of action. Back in the day, a stranger comes to town and plays the houseman or strongest player in the room, sometimes shooting with a house cue on inferior equipment. There was no bickering back and forth about oddball rules and idiotic spots. The stranger in town might make a nice score if lucky, but they also could leave town busted and disgusted. These action players had heart and stepped up to the plate with no fear.

Ronnie is indeed fortunate to have a loving family, children who care about him. Not all of the road men from yesteryear have this and die alone. There may be some who say, well, that's the lifestyle they chose, so they deserve what they get. This may be so, but these unsung pool heroes, so to speak, brought excitement to many a pool folk. The pool public in America is fickle, and pool is most definintely cruel to its own in the American pool culture, as evidenced by some -- not this one -- pool forums.

I feel fortunate to have enjoyed pool during its golden years. Gone are the road scholars of yesterday, replaced by tournament soldiers who must travel the globe to eke out a living. The existing lot of American professional players is diminishing. Most tournament soldiers today cannot afford to travel to the Middle East and stay a week unless they're sponsored, and I can count on one hand how many Americans do. :rolleyes:

The only thing I can say to those who catch a glimpse of the Ronnie Allen cameo performance today, enjoy it while he's still alive. Would you rather watch Ronnie Allen prance around the table with his colorful personality or sweat the robotic, emotionless tournament soldiers of today who sometimes burn agonizing minutes analyzing each and every shot? Again, to each their own! :)

Lou Butera realized that competing in pool professionally in tournaments was like a dead fish in the water, and so he figured out how to capitalize on his pool talents and made pool work for him.

Here's what "Machine Gun Lou" Butera said about the state of pool in America when he was in his prime, about 40 years ago: You've got five companies doing over $10 million a year in this game. Yet, the amount they spend on the promotion of the game is peanuts, ridiculous. Now, if those companies can't put a quarter of a million of that into the promotion of the game, something is very wrong. There should be a Brunswick Open, an Ebonite Open, a Fisher Open, a National Open, just to name a few...all the big manufacturers should be promoting the game through tournaments.

Picture of Lou taken in December 2005 at the IPT King of the Hill in Orlando, Florida.

Attachments

• Lou%20Butera[1].JPG
    Lou%20Butera[1].JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Question

Question

What do you say to an old-time pool hustler dressed in suit and tie?

"Will the defendant please stand."

Beard

Didnt save a quarter. Did manage to put my daughter thru 4 years at Tulane. Had great times. Regrets? As Sinatra says in, My Way, "I've had a few..," but not many.

jalapus logan

Verified Member
JAM said:
I think it's kind of cool that Ronnie still steps up to the plate and engages in games of stake. I'll bet he put on a show Ronnie style with his gift of gab. :D

With the advent of the Internet and technology, the era of action has taken a turn. It will never be quite the same. Nobody goes on the road in pursuit of action. Back in the day, a stranger comes to town and plays the houseman or strongest player in the room, sometimes shooting with a house cue on inferior equipment. There was no bickering back and forth about oddball rules and idiotic spots. The stranger in town might make a nice score if lucky, but they also could leave town busted and disgusted. These action players had heart and stepped up to the plate with no fear.

Ronnie is indeed fortunate to have a loving family, children who care about him. Not all of the road men from yesteryear have this and die alone. There may be some who say, well, that's the lifestyle they chose, so they deserve what they get. This may be so, but these unsung pool heroes, so to speak, brought excitement to many a pool folk. The pool public in America is fickle, and pool is most definintely cruel to its own in the American pool culture, as evidenced by some -- not this one -- pool forums.

I feel fortunate to have enjoyed pool during its golden years. Gone are the road scholars of yesterday, replaced by tournament soldiers who must travel the globe to eke out a living. The existing lot of American professional players is diminishing. Most tournament soldiers today cannot afford to travel to the Middle East and stay a week unless they're sponsored, and I can count on one hand how many Americans do. :rolleyes:

The only thing I can say to those who catch a glimpse of the Ronnie Allen cameo performance today, enjoy it while he's still alive. Would you rather watch Ronnie Allen prance around the table with his colorful personality or sweat the robotic, emotionless tournament soldiers of today who sometimes burn agonizing minutes analyzing each and every shot? Again, to each their own! :)

Lou Butera realized that competing in pool professionally in tournaments was like a dead fish in the water, and so he figured out how to capitalize on his pool talents and made pool work for him.

Here's what "Machine Gun Lou" Butera said about the state of pool in America when he was in his prime, about 40 years ago: You've got five companies doing over $10 million a year in this game. Yet, the amount they spend on the promotion of the game is peanuts, ridiculous. Now, if those companies can't put a quarter of a million of that into the promotion of the game, something is very wrong. There should be a Brunswick Open, an Ebonite Open, a Fisher Open, a National Open, just to name a few...all the big manufacturers should be promoting the game through tournaments.

Picture of Lou taken in December 2005 at the IPT King of the Hill in Orlando, Florida.

Great post JAM. I also agree with Mr. Butera from 40 years prior. How in the world can Brunswick and other companies not see that marketing the activity that takes place on their product can expand their market and their profitability? Bizarre, if you ask me. I guess that Brunswick feels like they are diversified and that pool is no longer the core of their operations. But look at Diamond. Greg Sullivan and his company are now dominating the tourney trail and their brand is increasing in value each and every tourney they install their tables at.

Your depiction of road warriors of yesteryear is both potent and compelling. I also feel that these "heroes" should have been accomodated by the pool world in a more gracious manor (read $$$). But none of that will change until folks open their mind to pool as a business and become willing to set aside individual egos in a coordinated effort to promote the sport. We shall see what the future holds, but I know that all cue sport games (not just our beloved onepocket) have wide appeal and are just flat out fun to play.

Who knows, with cooperation, some professional guidance, and a bit of luck, pool can indeed flourish.

Cheers,

Neil (with fingers crossed...)

jalapus logan

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:

Beard

Didnt save a quarter. Did manage to put my daughter thru 4 years at Tulane. Had great times. Regrets? As Sinatra says in, My Way, "I've had a few..," but not many.

Good one.

Here's a couple more:

What do you call a pool player without a girlfriend? Homeless.

What is the difference between a pool player and a large pizza? The large pizza can feed a family of four.

Ha ha (hiss) :rolleyes:

But this can all change...

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
jalapus logan said:
Good one.

Here's a couple more:

What do you call a pool player without a girlfriend? Homeless.

What is the difference between a pool player and a large pizza? The large pizza can feed a family of four.

Ha ha (hiss) :rolleyes:

But this can all change...

Definition of a successful pool hustler "a guy who found his girl friend a second job." ;)

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
Didnt save a quarter. Did manage to put my daughter thru 4 years at Tulane.

Well, I have 2 daughters in college and I am spending a ton of money, but they will be debt free when they graduate, I was able to get NO FINANCIAL aid...I paid retail. Tulane is an expensive college. I would be willing to bet that some help from others came into play....

Happy that your daughter got through school, but just wish I wasnt penalized for saving "a quarter"...:rolleyes:

Ken

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Ken_4fun said:
Well, I have 2 daughters in college and I am spending a ton of money, but they will be debt free when they graduate, I was able to get NO FINANCIAL aid...I paid retail. Tulane is an expensive college. I would be willing to bet that some help from others came into play....

Happy that your daughter got through school, but just wish I wasnt penalized for saving "a quarter"...:rolleyes:

Ken
Good for you Ken. My son graduated a year ago in May, and yeah, they took almost everything we had put aside (the "economic downturn" took the rest, lol) -- but he now has a good job, his own apartment and seemingly more confidence by the day. That is worth everything, imo.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
fred bentivegna said:

Beard

That's real good Fred.:) :)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I had forgotten..

I had forgotten..

Ken_4fun said:

Ken

Of course I got help from, The Old Pool Hustlers Childrens College Fund. (Seriously, you couldnt even get Democrats to fund that entitlement.)

Beard

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
....sounds familiar...

....sounds familiar...

...I think it's a re-run....or a remake from the 60's......I've seen it so many times.....I lost count.....although you might consider "not" playing him any heads-up one-handed pool..... 'cause that's his back-up game....it always has been...and jacked-up...is his preference....oh wait!...that's my preference....lol....Chris MacDonald...plays a pretty decent game of it too...considering Ronnie's age and Chris's ability I might have to give the edge (bet the Ranch) to Chris....sorry Ronnie....but ....what is .... is ....what is..... :p

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
....60's....

....60's....

lll said:
i wasnt around and maybe i should respect my elders and shut up
BUT isnt that how ronnie lived his life???
Win alittle LOSE alot (whether cards horses etc)???:eek: :(

...I don't think there is anyone left alive that was around when Ronnie was starting out.....but I do remember that's how I saw him....win some loose a lot....can't say He didn't have gamble....He'd bet ya hot fat wasn't greasy if ya gave him enough odds....

Jimmy B

Verified Member
onepocket926 said:
...I don't think there is anyone left alive that was around when Ronnie was starting out.....but I do remember that's how I saw him....win some loose a lot....can't say He didn't have gamble....He'd bet ya hot fat wasn't greasy if ya gave him enough odds....

Hey Chief. Why do you just come in here like once a year/? Did you ever play golf (real golf) with RA? I just wanted to give you a shout out since you were from Anderson. I'm also in Anderson right now. Yours is in Ca and mine is SC. I wonder how many more Andersons there are. Indiana has one I think and so does Alabama.

big slim

Ronnie Allen wins & loses

Ronnie Allen wins & loses

I think all you guys that like to talk about Ronnie should send him $50 a month for all the stories you tell about him. He was the best thing that ever happened for the game of 1-pocket and action in general. He was the most creative player to ever play the game ,inventing shots and moves no one had ever seen, hell I think I will send him $50 myself Big Slim

JAM

Verified Member
big slim said:
I think all you guys that like to talk about Ronnie should send him $50 a month for all the stories you tell about him. He was the best thing that ever happened for the game of 1-pocket and action in general. He was the most creative player to ever play the game ,inventing shots and moves no one had ever seen, hell I think I will send him $50 myself Big Slim

Believe me, Ronnie can roll with the advent of modern technology and has no problem executing the "electronic bite." :D

My BF sends him an electronic birthday gift every year. It's just a little bone with not much meat on it, but it's the thought that counts! :p

I've had begun creating a Wikipedia page on Ronnie Allen, but I didn't have enough time to dig up all the reference material and data. Players from yesteryear like Ronnie, it's difficult to locate the references. Everything on Wikipedia must have a reference in order to insert it in the article.

I did find a really great four-page story written about Ronnie in one of the older print pool mags. I can't remember which one it was, but it gave his whole life history and also had some nice tidbits about his immediate family. Ronnie was on top of the world when this article was written, and so it was a very pleasant read. :)

One of these days, I will finish this Wikipedia page on Ronnie. Without a doubt, Ronnie Allen is an American pool legend, and nobody can take that away from him. :cool:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
JAM said:
Believe me, Ronnie can roll with the advent of modern technology and has no problem executing the "electronic bite." :D

My BF sends him an electronic birthday gift every year. It's just a little bone with not much meat on it, but it's the thought that counts! :p

I've had begun creating a Wikipedia page on Ronnie Allen, but I didn't have enough time to dig up all the reference material and data. Players from yesteryear like Ronnie, it's difficult to locate the references. Everything on Wikipedia must have a reference in order to insert it in the article.

I did find a really great four-page story written about Ronnie in one of the older print pool mags. I can't remember which one it was, but it gave his whole life history and also had some nice tidbits about his immediate family. Ronnie was on top of the world when this article was written, and so it was a very pleasant read. :)

One of these days, I will finish this Wikipedia page on Ronnie. Without a doubt, Ronnie Allen is an American pool legend, and nobody can take that away from him. :cool:
jam is there a way to post the article or a link???
id really like to read it:)
larry

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
JAM said:

Is the Ronnie article the one with him on the cover on a golf course?

JAM

Verified Member
lll said:
jam is there a way to post the article or a link???
id really like to read it:)
larry

I'll have to dig it up. Subject to check, I believe it was an article from The National Billiards News. The date would have been between 1975 and 1985 when it was written, because I bought copies of all those papers from the publisher a while back.

When I locate it, I'll see if I can scan it and attach it to this thread. I'm almost positive it was from The National Billiard News. I used to peruse those papers quite often when I used to write more. I have multi-colored stickies all over my print pool stuff, so I should be able to put my finger on it. :)

I remember it detailing Ronnie's life as a child, growing up, how he got into pool, his parents and the carnival lifestyle. Then the article switched gears to illustrate Ronnie the family man, which was quite eye-opening. There were some GREAT photos in that article, too. :)

In the words of Arnie Schwarzenegger, "I'll be back." ;)

JAM

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
Is the Ronnie article the one with him on the cover on a golf course?

Steve, I'm not sure, but you could be right. My memory is getting really bad lately. I need to defrag my brain, I think. :D

For some reason, I seem to recall he's wearing like a V-neck sweater in one of the photos, looking very much like a golfer, but that's all I can remember.

Interestingly, Keith's favorite style of dress is the golfer clothing lines. He loves those sleeveless sweater vests.

It's interesting how many pool players do have a strong interest in golf, and some of them can play. We went out on a golf range one time, and Keith hit the ball way out there. I remember the little 220 marker where Keith's little golf ball landed. Me, I swung and swung and swung as hard as I could, missing the little white golf ball. When I finally did make contact with all my might, the little white golf ball went forward about 10 feet. :eek:

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
Pool and Billiards did an article on Ronnie in the late 90's. I don't know if you've seen that one yet. I don't think it's as detailed as the one you're talking about though.

JAM said:
I'll have to dig it up. Subject to check, I believe it was an article from The National Billiards News. The date would have been between 1975 and 1985 when it was written, because I bought copies of all those papers from the publisher a while back.

When I locate it, I'll see if I can scan it and attach it to this thread. I'm almost positive it was from The National Billiard News. I used to peruse those papers quite often when I used to write more. I have multi-colored stickies all over my print pool stuff, so I should be able to put my finger on it. :)

I remember it detailing Ronnie's life as a child, growing up, how he got into pool, his parents and the carnival lifestyle. Then the article switched gears to illustrate Ronnie the family man, which was quite eye-opening. There were some GREAT photos in that article, too. :)

In the words of Arnie Schwarzenegger, "I'll be back." ;)