Team Ronnie Allen Wins and Loses in Vegas

JAM

Verified Member
Ronnie spotted Harry Platis 8 to 7 and won a little chunkie in Vegas. :)

Feeling confident, Ronnie Allen then proceeded to play a new opponent, but he lost a BIG chunkie. Ronnie was playing one-handed to his opponent's two hands, and this time, Ronnie was playing even. :(

Rumor has it that Ronnie was feeling no pain when he lost the big chunkie. :eek:

All's fair in love and pool, I guess! :p

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i wasnt around and maybe i should respect my elders and shut up
BUT isnt that how ronnie lived his life???
Win alittle LOSE alot (whether cards horses etc)???:eek: :(

SJDinPHX

Suspended
lll said:
i wasnt around and maybe i should respect my elders and shut up
BUT isnt that how ronnie lived his life???
Win alittle LOSE alot (whether cards horses etc)???:eek: :(

Yes it is Larry, But to know him, is to [sic] love him. (Or sometimes, get very pissed off at him, and want to kill him)...:eek:...He is a very unique enigma... He's gonna do it his way...Will call him later today, and get the REAL scoop. (maybe ?)..:cool:

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i only know ronnie by reputation
when i was first introduced to one pocket inthe 1970s
his name was mentioned as THE BEST
among all the old timers he is included among THE BEST
he should be proud:)
to me its sad to see players of hall of fame caliber (not just ronnie)
to have won soooo much money (im sure they didnt declare it all as income:rolleyes: :D )
yet now in there older days not be financially secure to live a life without financial pressure:( :mad:
to the youngins
SAVE a portion of your winnings
you wont be young forever

SJDinPHX

Suspended
lll said:
to have won soooo much money (im sure they didnt declare it all as income:rolleyes: yet now in there older days not be financially secure to live a life without financial pressure:(
to the youngins

Good advice Larry,...That has been always been my credo...That is why I banked most of my first billion dollar score, so I am certainly comfortable in my declining years.. (as long as I don't live too much longer, and RA takes me off his speed dial)...:rolleyes: :D

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
lll said:
to have won soooo much money (im sure they didnt declare it all as income:rolleyes:
yet now in there older days not be financially secure to live a life without financial pressure:( :mad:
to the youngins

Larry, Just remember it's the same thing that makes you lose the money, that allows you to win it.
I was in Vegas and a young man at the table lost about$2000.00 very fast.
He bit the pit boss for $50.00 and left. (maybe he knew him)
A well dressed fellow with a good looking young lady was playing also.
He said that guy came in, cashed his check and got $3000.00 winner then lost it all. I'd never do that.
No you wouldn't I replied "you'd have to lose 1500 hands." All you've bet is $2.00 since I've been here. :D
He was highly insulted.
Rod.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
androd said:
Larry, Just remember it's the same thing that makes you lose the money, that allows you to win it.
I was in Vegas and a young man at the table lost about$2000.00 very fast.
He bit the pit boss for $50.00 and left. (maybe he knew him)
A well dressed fellow with a good looking young lady was playing also.
He said that guy came in, cashed his check and got $3000.00 winner then lost it all. I'd never do that.
No you wouldn't I replied "you'd have to lose 1500 hands." All you've bet is $2.00 since I've been here. :D
He was highly insulted.
Rod.
Rod i agree with you completely:)
if you are a nit you dont lose alot but you dont win alot either:eek: :rolleyes:
but some of you high rollers ( billy, artie, rod, to name some ) managed to manage their money well:)
thats all im saying

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
lll said:
if you are a nit you dont lose alot but you dont win alot either:eek: :rolleyes:
but some of you high rollers ( billy, artie, rod, to name some ) managed to manage their money well:)
thats all im saying

Good frend of mine back in 69 parleyed quarter bets into 85000. That was the year of the "Amazing Mets" He bet 10000 on the Mets to win the series and picked the winner in ALL 7 games!

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
high rollers

high rollers

I saw a guy the other day I had'nt seen for awhile and I asked him where he was.He said he was out in Vegas for a couple months gambling.I asked him how he did and he said he did real good.He said he went out there in a $50,000 car and came back in a 2 million dollar bus.Which reminds me of a joke........

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
lll said:
to have won soooo much money (im sure they didnt declare it all as income:rolleyes: :D )
to the youngins

I have known Ronny since the late 50's, and while he has not always taken good care of himself, the action is his lifeblood and keeps him going. I don't think he would last too long without it.

When he was the best and making $$ he sent a good part of it home and has a daughter who is an RN and a son with his own business.

He has lived a life many of us pool players wish we could have had a taste of. Not so good in the last few years with failing health and other problems, but he is one of a kind and still out there scuffling and getting in action at 73 years old.

John Brumback

Verified Member
lll said:
to the youngins

I wouldn't worry so much about RA.I got to set down and chat with him some
while In vegas and all he taked about really was what a good family and kids he has. Just about then his phone rang and It was his son telling him to be ready that they were going fishing for a few days.After that all he talked about was getting to just hang out and fish a few days with his son.

I thought It was pretty cool to know how much he likes to fish. I mean that's all he talked about.Course I like to fish but I wanted to talk Onepocket.lol John B.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i want to make clear how much respect i have to all the past players who dedicated their life to pool.
whether champion or not to live your dream is something not everyone gets to do:)
ronnie who is arguably among the greatest of all time onepocket players has my utmost respect and admiration for his accomplishments.:)
better yet he has the respect and acknowledgement of his accomplishments from his peers:)
how much more can you ask for:)
larry

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
lll said:
thats all im saying

Well maybe.

There might be some folks on here that have more bank than some mentioned.

I think of a infamous poster who is worshiped on AZ and sometimes here that had a multimillion dollar manson in Vegas and recently sold it for a multimillion loss...:eek:

If you make 10 million and loose 9.9 million (or more) does that make you a winner?

IMO the smart guy is that can hang onto it....Any damn fool can win the lottery, how many are still enjoying it and leave a little for their kids when they are gone?

Just saying...99.9% of the HOF pool players are broke. They may have handled some money, but they didnt keep much of it....

ken

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Ken_4fun said:
Well maybe.

I think of a infamous poster who is worshiped on AZ and sometimes here that had a multimillion dollar manson in Vegas and recently sold it for a multimillion loss...:eek:

If you make 10 million and loose 9.9 million (or more) does that make you a winner?

IMO the smart guy is that can hang onto it....Any damn fool can win the lottery, how many are still enjoying it and leave a little for their kids when they are gone?

Just saying...99.9% of the HOF pool players are broke. They may have handled some money, but they didnt keep much of it....

ken

Ken, It's just pool coupons. :D
Rod.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Ken_4fun said:
Well maybe.

ken
Ken, like John said about Ronnie -- there is also the possibility that they shipped money home to their family. You all might be surprised how often I hear that when I interview old time players. Not that the money wasn't spent anyway, mind you, but it is surprising how often I hear about things like college expenses and/or medical bills (besides the obvious living expenses and cars of course).

jalapus logan

Verified Member
lll said:
to the youngins

You got that right. That's why I'm a Boglehead. I aim to take up pool full time when I'm about 50...

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
jalapus logan said:
You got that right. That's why I'm a Boglehead. I aim to take up pool full time when I'm about 50...

Good Idea !
Smart man, Mr Bogle !
I feed my gambling habit with the market. Toughest gambling I've ever done.
Look at the fun I have. What I learned in the pool room serves me well. ;)
When I stopped looking at it as investing and started looking at it as gambling,
I began to do much better. :D
Rod.

jalapus logan

Verified Member
androd said:
Good Idea !
Smart man, Mr Bogle !
I feed my gambling habit with the market. Toughest gambling I've ever done.
Look at the fun I have. What I learned in the pool room serves me well. ;)
When I stopped looking at it as investing and started looking at it as gambling,
I began to do much better. :D
Rod.

Yes, I here you there, been there, done that. The good thing about Bogle's strategy is that it requires less time and worry for the finance stuff, and more time playing pool, fishing, and yes, even spending more QT with the wife.

Cheers...

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Ken_4fun said:
Well maybe.

ken
ken hindsight is 20/20
the Hall Of Famers lived a life we all vicariously live thru the stories we hear about them
we sweat the stories and want to hear more
the life they led in a way made them who they are
we should not be judgemental
and i personally want to apologize if i offended anyone especially ronnie:eek:
it was not my intent and when i reread my posts i could see perhaps it could be misconstrued alittle strong:eek: :eek:

we all can learn from history and saving for retirement years cant be bad advice:)