Tall Jeff

senor

Verified Member
Pretty sure El Real is closed unfortunately, but they serve or served puffy tacos. Big, trendy place on Westheimer just west of Montrose.

baby huey

Verified Member
I first met Tall Jeff in Orange County Ca, over 40 years ago. We played a set for $50 five ahead. He won the flip and ran the set out. What a great stroke and break he possessed back then. I remember watching him play a lot in OC back then and what a MONSTER he was on the bar table. I never saw him play on a big table and he was gone by the time the action picked up at the Billiard Palace in Bellflower. Dressed to the 9's, he always was always sharp and his gaze was steady and his game TOP SHELF. When I went back to Houston for my first Seniors event about four years ago at Bogies we were able to reconnect and trade war stories. If Jeff had stayed with his game there's no doubt in my mind he could'a been a contender. But life takes us away from pool and better things happened for him. I hope to see him again this year at Bogies.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I first met Tall Jeff in Orange County Ca, over 40 years ago. We played a set for $50 five ahead. He won the flip and ran the set out. What a great stroke and break he possessed back then. I remember watching him play a lot in OC back then and what a MONSTER he was on the bar table. I never saw him play on a big table and he was gone by the time the action picked up at the Billiard Palace in Bellflower. Dressed to the 9's, he always was always sharp and his gaze was steady and his game TOP SHELF. When I went back to Houston for my first Seniors event about four years ago at Bogies we were able to reconnect and trade war stories. If Jeff had stayed with his game there's no doubt in my mind he could'a been a contender. But life takes us away from pool and better things happened for him. I hope to see him again this year at Bogies.
❤️❤️❤️

Reactions: lll

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Found a local menu with puffy tacos

I’m going to try them today! Thank you for the tip...

no bueno senor... thanks for trying though... 👍

My review...

Masa no bueno, way to thick, and two, possibly 3 days old... not freshly made...
The shell was to thick, and they fried it to long, made it hard as a rock,
instead of a pliable shell that melts in your mouth,
this one cracked and crumbled at first bite and fell all over the plate...
filler was brisket, and it was iffy... they ran out of barbacoa which I believe would
have been better suited to a puffy taco since they didn’t even offer ground beef!
Tomatoes were bland and totally tasteless
Lettuce was wilted...
All in all, it was a very poor example of a puffy taco, in fact, it gives puffy tacos a really bad rap,
because if anyone who has never tried them, orders one of these, they will never try them again...
It’s totally off the map for me...

If I were a young man, I swear, I’d open a place here in Houston and make
the best damn puffy tacos in Texas... They would be all I’d sell, chicken
or ground beef, pick one... They come with your choice of crisp fresh lettuce,
home grown tomatoes, diced white onions, and cheese... you may also have
your choice of freshly made red or green salsa and ice cold coke, sprite,
or root beer to wash them down with... the line would be out the door, everyday!

Last edited:

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
Pretty sure El Real is closed unfortunately, but they serve or served puffy tacos. Big, trendy place on Westheimer just west of Montrose.
Felix was the first Houston Mexican restaurant I can remember from the 50’s. My wife and I lived in Montrose and walked there once a week to eat. I know Felix passed away. I’m assuming his wife Margaret has also passed.

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
If I were a young man, I swear, I’d open a place here in Houston and make
the best damn puffy tacos in Texas... They would be all I’d sell, chicken
or ground beef, pick one... They come with your choice of crisp fresh lettuce,
home grown tomatoes, diced white onions, and cheese... you may also have
your choice of freshly made red or green salsa and ice cold coke, sprite,
or root beer to wash them down with... the line would be out the door, everyday!
It sounds like your last resort may be your kitchen and yourself?
Good luck, they sound tasty.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
It sounds like your last resort may be your kitchen and yourself?
Good luck, they sound tasty.
I have made them before... and they were ok, about a 5 or 6 on a 10 scale...
But it’s a pain rolling out the corn masa and getting it to the exact right thickness with the correct moisture content...
Then they tend to be difficult and stick to the tortilla press even when using a Saran Wrap, or Cling wrap cover to help prevent sticking...
And I’m not very good at the ground beef filling either, seems I can’t duplicate the taste I’m actually looking for... edible, but missing the alright alright alright wow factor...
Then there’s the clean up....whew! It’s a chore... and theres also the lingering smell around the kitchen for a couple of hours...
No, I’m much better at eating em! Think I’ll continue with my search...😁