Tall Jeff

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Jeff called me yesterday, said he was on the road to San Antonio, he was craving for some puppy tacos, SA spot was his favorite.
I drove in to meet him at Bananas, they were closed. We went to the ball hall on West Ave, it was open, 5 or 6 people I knew from
last year were there. Jeff walked in and the 1st person he saw was someone he knew. I hadn't hit a ball for over a year. the fellow
asked me to play, Jeff encouraged me so I played a couple of games, cant see well anymore but got lucky and broke even.
All in all it was a grand day, most fun I've had in a year, great to see Jeff, felt good to hit a few balls.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Rod
Glad you and jeff got a chance to catch up in person
Hope all is well with both of you and your families
Larry

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
San Antonio... 👍 😁 When I get there, I’m flooded with memories
of my childhood days and growing up there... I don’t know if coming to ones
birthplace after an extended absence affects anyone else this way, but every time
I go back to San Antonio it’s like I never left, I feel at home and comfortable being there..
So I go to El Tipico on Rigsby ave to get the Puffy Tacos
I have been craving for a over year... I order 3 and a dressed Tecate...
They bring em and I dive into one... it’s pitiful! The place has gone to the dogs...
I really didn’t expect the place to ever change, but unfortunately it did... Terrible...
I was meeting Rod at Bananas at 1:00 so leaving El Tipico earlier than expected
puts me at Bananas joint 30 minutes ahead of schedule... I just wait in the empty
parking lot for Rod to show, I catch up on my emails...
At exactly 1:00, Rod pulls in next to me and says , “Reckon they went broke?”
Meaning of course they were closed for some reason!
I follow him to a pool room on West ave...
We get out and shake hands and share a nice moment together in front
of the place.
I get to the front door before Rod...
Rod went back to his car to get something, so I just walked in the place...
There are two people in there , one is hitting balls on a 5x10
and the other guy is working on a cue, putting on a new tip...
Before I take 3 steps into the room, the guy hitting balls on the 10 footer hustles me,
Lol. It’s been so many years since I walked into a strange room and heard those
lovely words hurled at me... It really made my day! He said, “Wanna play a few games?”
Those words used to be music to my ears, I just smiled and said no, I’m waiting for a friend...
Rod came in soon after and they knew each other so I encouraged Rod to play him
a couple of games of one pocket while I watched and visited with him...
We had a very nice time and I was so glad to get to see my old friend and watch him
play some one pocket again... I marvel at this mans ability, he’s blind, hasn’t hit a ball
in over a year, and still he pockets balls and moves like a ghost...
We said our goodbyes and I went to Henry’s Puffy Taco on Bandera next to try and kill my craving!
I had 3, they were just OK, nothing spectacular like the old El Tipico!

So to sum it up, and show just how nutty I really am, I drove 400 miles round trip, ate 3 puffy
tacos and paid for another 3 that I didn’t eat... cost me $25.00 plus another $40.00 in gas...
That’s $21.65 per taco... I’m hoping someone will open a puffy taco joint in Houston...

Cory in dc

Verified Member
San Antonio... 👍 😁 When I get there, I’m flooded with memories
of my childhood days and growing up there... I don’t know if coming to ones
birthplace after an extended absence affects anyone else this way, but every time
I go back to San Antonio it’s like I never left, I feel at home and comfortable being there..
So I go to El Tipico on Rigsby ave to get the Puffy Tacos
I have been craving for a over year... I order 3 and a dressed Tecate...
They bring em and I dive into one... it’s pitiful! The place has gone to the dogs...
I really didn’t expect the place to ever change, but unfortunately it did... Terrible...
I was meeting Rod at Bananas at 1:00 so leaving El Tipico earlier than expected
puts me at Bananas joint 30 minutes ahead of schedule... I just wait in the empty
parking lot for Rod to show, I catch up on my emails...
At exactly 1:00, Rod pulls in next to me and says , “Reckon they went broke?”
Meaning of course they were closed for some reason!
I follow him to a pool room on West ave...
We get out and shake hands and share a nice moment together in front
of the place.
I get to the front door before Rod...
Rod went back to his car to get something, so I just walked in the place...
There are two people in there , one is hitting balls on a 5x10
and the other guy is working on a cue, putting on a new tip...
Before I take 3 steps into the room, the guy hitting balls on the 10 footer hustles me,
Lol. It’s been so many years since I walked into a strange room and heard those
lovely words hurled at me... It really made my day! He said, “Wanna play a few games?”
Those words used to be music to my ears, I just smiled and said no, I’m waiting for a friend...
Rod came in soon after and they knew each other so I encouraged Rod to play him
a couple of games of one pocket while I watched and visited with him...
We had a very nice time and I was so glad to get to see my old friend and watch him
play some one pocket again... I marvel at this mans ability, he’s blind, hasn’t hit a ball
in over a year, and still he pockets balls and moves like a ghost...
We said our goodbyes and I went to Henry’s Puffy Taco on Bandera next to try and kill my craving!
I had 3, they were just OK, nothing spectacular like the old El Tipico!

So to sum it up, and show just how nutty I really am, I drove 400 miles round trip, ate 3 puffy
tacos and paid for another 3 that I didn’t eat... cost me $25.00 plus another $40.00 in gas...
That’s $21.65 per taco... I’m hoping someone will open a puffy taco joint in Houston...

1. You can get puffy tacos in Houston. Los Tios has them, but they're all on the southwest side of town. https://www.lostiosrestaurant.com/locations. I've never found them anywhere else, and I miss them. But Los Tios is much less fun than a road trip.

2. I hope Bananas is able to come back. I liked their Diamonds and playing their owner.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
1. You can get puffy tacos in Houston. Los Tios has them, but they're all on the southwest side of town. https://www.lostiosrestaurant.com/locations. I've never found them anywhere else, and I miss them. But Los Tios is much less fun than a road trip.

2. I hope Bananas is able to come back. I liked their Diamonds and playing their owner.
Thanks Cory,
I’ll give em a try today after work...
I still have the craving for some good ones, and if they are good,
I’ll be a regular... 😆

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
$21.65 is an expensive taco, especially when they're not that good. Meeting up with Rod and watching him play, priceless. Sounds like the trip was worth it. 👍😊

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I thought it was puppy tacos, sounded a little cruel.:);):):)
I told my granddaughter we are gonna get some puffy tacos, she started crying, said I'm not eating any puppy tacos.:mad:

beatle

Verified Member
there is something that looks like a taco but all lettuce. something that looks like it fell from the sky. and an enchilada on that plate. where is the rice?

LuckyLeon

Verified Member
From
cabool,mo.
This is off topic , i'm sorry, but the mention of San Antonio reminded me of a fellow I used to play in Lawrence,ks. He was from San Antonio. When he left Lawrence he was headed back there to manage another pool room. I know it's a long shot but wondered if you knew him. His name was Rex Evans, a nice guy.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
This is off topic , i'm sorry, but the mention of San Antonio reminded me of a fellow I used to play in Lawrence,ks. He was from San Antonio. When he left Lawrence he was headed back there to manage another pool room. I know it's a long shot but wondered if you knew him. His name was Rex Evans, a nice guy.
Sorry I've not met him if he's still here.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
there is something that looks like a taco but all lettuce. something that looks like it fell from the sky. and an enchilada on that plate. where is the rice?
Chinese food restaurant, Taco meat probably hidden by lettuce. Fell from the sky is a queso (cheese) covered upside down puffy taco shell. yum yum.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
View attachment 434530

That's more of a queso, but you can get taco stuff inside one.

In looking for that picture, I found an article about puffy tacos in Houston. https://www.houstoniamag.com/eat-and-drink/2016/10/tex-mex-tuesday-puffy-tacos-at-los-tios.
I called Los Tios today before going there.
They lied and said they made puffy tacos and I could get them there...
What they call a puffy taco is just a puffed up ball covered with queso...
They charge $4.95 for it and it probably costs $.25 to make.
All it is, is a glorified ball of corn masa that’s been fried in hot oil and puffed up
into a super thin shell, shaped like a ball and covered in cheese...

It’s not a puffy taco, it’s a puffy ball... 👎
In the picture here, it’s on the right, and what’s on the left actually looks like a real puffy taco,
But my waiter said they didn’t make those...

I’m gonna do some more research and see if one of the other Los Tios’s
know how to make a puffy taco...

More to follow...