Talking bout the breaks..............

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
.....after many years of playing this game and watching many players at all levels, there is something that I just have never understood, and never have I gotten a good explanation when I have asked........

Can anyone explain why some players will routinely break from the "wrong" side (assuming there is no significant good or bad pocket), that is a lefty breaking to the right side hole or a righty breaking to the left side hole?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
If that's true, it may be as simple as a right hander favoring to bridge on the right side long rail, or the reverse.
Some may favor left spin over right, or the reverse.
I'm a right hander, but I prefer to break to the left side of the rack. Maybe I see that side better. Dunno.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
The reason I do it? The table i almost exclusively played on for years had a little dent in the long rail making certain straight backs go to that pocket that won't go on any other table. It was also the friendliest pocket and Buddy couldn't sit in my line of sight playing at that pocket...... so I got used to breaking at it. I feel more confident breaking to it. Now these days that room is closed. The only room now is a hour away and I do play to the correct hole when its my break. That hole breaks much better, sucks balls in like it was a vaccum cleaner. It took me a longer than normal adjustment period to get used to breaking to that side.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Being left handed, and back in the day when I played for real I always broke to the right corner pocket. The reason and only reason I did it was so I could reach and shoot along side the long rail by my pocket.
I could not switch hands, but behind the back I was good at.

For me, looking back on it, the right handed player then had the same benefit, except if he was use to shooting to the right corner pocket, he then did not have that option, whereas I was use to shooting at the right corner pocket.
I got up on the table so I of course could reach the shots, so that was not a factor in deciding which scoring pocket. On a 9' table the shots are easier to reach anyway.

I believe back in the day a right hand player would shoot towards the left pocket and a left hand player would shoot towards the right pocket, and over time that changed around. Correct me if I am wrong on this assumption.
Whitey

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I am also guilty of this. I am a right hander and break to the left pocket. The reason I do it is kind of silly but it's the truth. When I first started playing I was breaking to that pocket mostly for whatever reason and although I can break to the right side, for some reason it's easier for me to break and apply LHE and strike in between 1st and 2nd ball than it is for me to apply RHE and aim for the same spot on the other side. I know it's just practice and I could end up being fine but I am so much more confident breaking from the other side which is why I still do every game I get to break. :)

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
.....after many years of playing this game and watching many players at all levels, there is something that I just have never understood, and never have I gotten a good explanation when I have asked........

Can anyone explain why some players will routinely break from the "wrong" side (assuming there is no significant good or bad pocket), that is a lefty breaking to the right side hole or a righty breaking to the left side hole?
I'm not telling you that secret:p

• Wow
Reactions: lll

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Being left handed, and back in the day when I played for real I always broke to the right corner pocket. The reason and only reason I did it was so I could reach and shoot along side the long rail by my pocket.
I could not switch hands, but behind the back I was good at.

For me, looking back on it, the right handed player then had the same benefit, except if he was use to shooting to the right corner pocket, he then did not have that option, whereas I was use to shooting at the right corner pocket.
I got up on the table so I of course could reach the shots, so that was not a factor in deciding which scoring pocket. On a 9' table the shots are easier to reach anyway.

I believe back in the day a right hand player would shoot towards the left pocket and a left hand player would shoot towards the right pocket, and over time that changed around. Correct me if I am wrong on this assumption.
Whitey
There are certain shots that are not available for the off hand pocket. I'm like moose I see a lot of young players breaking to the wrong pocket. when they're not playing I take them to the table and show them why, most will change. No answer for experienced players. maybe no one ever showed them. Fats showed me in the 60's.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
...well....I am pleased to see that at least most of those that do..do this, acknowledge that there is a correct and an incorrect side.... :unsure:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
...well....I am pleased to see that at least most of those that do..do this, acknowledge that there is a correct and an incorrect side.... :unsure:
I gave a valid reason why I broke to what I consider the correct side, a left hand player breaking to the right side. I still believe it was my experience in the late 60's early 70's that right hand players broke to the left side.
I did not want to get caught against the wrong long rail by my pocket and unable to stroke the ball. It is pretty simple.

I of course get up on the table, I do not know how yuppie's play today!
I played an old guy about 4 yrs. ago, and we both got up on the table without questioning it!
Whitey

beatle

Verified Member
i try to break to the pocket side that he likes to have. as i can play the same from either side.
unless there is a sewer pocket or one that accepts banks better. and usually one of the pockets does.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
i try to break to the pocket side that he likes to have. as i can play the same from either side.
unless there is a sewer pocket or one that accepts banks better. and usually one of the pockets does.
Anytime my opponent breaks for the pocket I want, I break for the same pocket. I don't believe their is a rule you have to take the opposite side after his break. Makes it a little hard to keep up with who broke. :mad:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Back in the day, I don't remember a Top RH player ever breaking from the right side of the table, always the left and to the right hand pocket. For the reasons already mentioned about being able to reach certain positions to run balls better. One reason I sort of liked to lag for the break instead of toss, (used to it in 3C) and control of the pocket to break to. Either way, a Top player has to learn break and run balls on opposite in pockets.

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
its always has been the breaker choses his pocket.
its smart if you spot the break to not give him that chose every game unless that favors you for a particular reason.

HowardK

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
We were at the Cue Club in Las Vegas a while back. Ronnie told me that of the two feature tables, one always rolled differently and that you had to break from the other side. So knowledge of the tables is another reason you may wish to consider breaking from the other side.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Thanks Androd for the comment! Yes, I was young and self taught. The wrong long rail by my pocket to reach and stroke the ball towards my hole was the deciding factor for me. But, of course no one ever said I was breaking to the wrong pocket.
I wish more members would talk about Fats. He seemed that he was action, and could create it, and that always a good thing, even though not known to match up against say a Fitzgerald player. I just have to wonder if the Hustler Jackie Gleason was portrayed after Fats, it sure seems plausible.

But mr3c brought up the lag. In '61 @ Johnston City the winner of the lag in OP would maintain the choice of their scoring pocket even though they passed the break! In '62 @ JC they changed the lag to the way we modernly play the break. But, BCA in '67 when they adopted OP they then stayed with the original way the lag was played in '61 Johnston City, I do not know when they changed, nor why.
But I really like the original way '61 JC played it.
I agree with mr3c that OP should only lag for the break. The most highly skilled game should use skill to determine who breaks.

Being left handed and taking the right pocket meant I put my right handed opponent on his wrong side pocket also, and possibly the side he was not as use to. It also meant I was playing to the side I wanted anyway, and use to.
Whitey

beatle

Verified Member
whats a fitzgerald player. thats a new one on me.

fats would match up with anyone he thought he had the best of it and also that person was one that would go off.
smart guy. thats why he drove the caddy and the players rode the bus.
but im partial to the guy as i put him into his largest score and as his partner.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
whats a fitzgerald player. thats a new one on me.

fats would match up with anyone he thought he had the best of it and also that person was one that would go off.
smart guy. thats why he drove the caddy and the players rode the bus.
but im partial to the guy as i put him into his largest score and as his partner.
I meant to say John 'rags' Fitzpatrick, my bad. Thanks for the return comment. I have not heard of anyone that really did not like Fats, except for Mosconi.
Whitey

lfigueroa

Verified Member

I break better to the left pocket, with more confidence.

And I have taught myself to shoot leftie when needed.

Lou Figueroa

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I meant to say John 'rags' Fitzpatrick, my bad. Thanks for the return comment. I have not heard of anyone that really did not like Fats, except for Mosconi.
Whitey
Jersey Red thought Rags was the best of his era. I loved Fats, funniest human, Big heart, generous I saw him beat 2 very good players in 64, U.J.Puckett and J.C. (cannonball) Chapman.

Reactions: lll

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I gave a valid reason why I broke to what I consider the correct side, a left hand player breaking to the right side. I still believe it was my experience in the late 60's early 70's that right hand players broke to the left side.
I did not want to get caught against the wrong long rail by my pocket and unable to stroke the ball. It is pretty simple.

I of course get up on the table, I do not know how yuppie's play today!
I played an old guy about 4 yrs. ago, and we both got up on the table without questioning it!
Whitey
if you could still get up and OFF the table 4 years ago
i bow in deep respect....;)