SVB...lol

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
SVB" I grew up playing 8 ball my whole life. Bar table 8 ball have to be creative on breaking out clusters and running out on perfect patterns plays.

If there’s any bar table 8 ball tourney that has good added money then I would go to it. I would choose this over any one pocket tourney in the US.

And no, matchroom will not promote 8 ball. For 23 years, matchroom has only put on 9 ball events only. They only promote one game."

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
His answer to a Facebook post about him favoring bar table 8 ball today.
Threw one pocket under the bus out of the blue. My best game is BB 8 ball by far so its hard not to like it. Of course I've always been active in it one way or the other way before one pocket.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Artie B. always said that 8 ball was the best pool game. Don't know if he included one-pocket in that. I too think it's way more fair than any rotation game. Haven't played it in years, but I used to play it exclusively when I took 20 years off to party...🥳

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
Just watched an 8 ball match from 2017 of SVB vs Thorpe on a 7' Diamond. Was very interesting and appeared much tougher than on a 9'.
All I am playing now are (' Diamond Pro-ams, I could see myself on an 7' occasional just for variety.
"

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I like 7 foot nine ball but lets see watching the pros they run out better than 75 % of the racks so to campare it in dificulty to one pocket is kinda lol as the original post implies

unoperro

Verified Member
His answer to a Facebook post about him favoring bar table 8 ball today.
Threw one pocket under the bus out of the blue. My best game is BB 8 ball by far so its hard not to like it. Of course I've always been active in it one way or the other way before one pocket.
I don't think he threw 1 pocket under the bus if you consider the questions most players ask of him..
1. Are you playing the 1pkt trnmnt at......?
2. Catching any fish?

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
For about 30 or 40 years, every time a professional pool player got asked what the best game to play was, they all said golf!
At least he said it was a pool game, let's find the good in it, instead of figuring out the possible bad.

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Have had this match in my saved youtube folder forever. SVB vs Josh Roberts, barbox 8 ball.
Best 8 ball match i've ever seen. Been a while since I watched it, but if I recall the only "error" in the whole match was a dry break by Josh.
Just perfect position, cluster management, some real great outs. No safeties the whole match i don't think.

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Howdy All;

I've been branded as a cheap SoB many times in my life, so far. chucklin'. When I first began
playin' on BBs I took an instant dislike to 9B and focused on 8B as the games lasted longer
and you played with ALL the balls. chucklin' some more.
I truly enjoy 8B on a BB. Lots of strategy, and it's the step-son of 14.1 as far as CB control goes.
Just MHO.
It's not the same on a 9 footer, more room to maneuver which makes it just a tad easier
again, IMO.

hank

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I have been in a seniors league for the past year and let me tell you, they are cut throat. Safeties, safeties, then more safeties. I was still at the top one or two players for the season but man its tough playing in a league.

Skin

Verified Member
Artie B. always said that 8 ball was the best pool game. Don't know if he included one-pocket in that. I too think it's way more fair than any rotation game. Haven't played it in years, but I used to play it exclusively when I took 20 years off to party...🥳
After I left the pool halls for college, I played [frat] bar 8 ball almost exclusively, Doc.

Artie and I agreed on how great 8 ball is. He had a million ways for matching up at it too, from one-handed to one -legged, off-handed, with a bridge only, games on the wire, etc. :eek: (Btw, didn't he go very deep into a BCA 8b tourney in LV when he was still posting here? Never lost a game - for which Freddy gave him unending grief - until he ran into a guy who broke and ran out every time to put him out.)

I told Artie I liked 8b partly because it was the only pool game that I ever got laid after playing. :cool:

Last edited:

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
My opinion is that nine ball on a seven footer is much easier than on a nine footer but just the opposite for eight ball. There's a lot going on with small table eight, the break, patterns, safes, when to abort a run and how to leave them when you leave the table.

I believe bb eight was my best game when I had all my tools. I beat SVB in the Reno BB championship a few years ago and Darrell Appleton came to me after the match to congratulate me and offered to buy me a drink. Putting Shane on the loser side gave him a better chance to win the all around.

Skin

Verified Member
My opinion is that nine ball on a seven footer is much easier than on a nine footer but just the opposite for eight ball. There's a lot going on with small table eight, the break, patterns, safes, when to abort a run and how to leave them when you leave the table.

I believe bb eight was my best game when I had all my tools. I beat SVB in the Reno BB championship a few years ago and Darrell Appleton came to me after the match to congratulate me and offered to buy me a drink. Putting Shane on the loser side gave him a better chance to win the all around.
The 6 foot tables were common back when I played the bars. It was rare to break and run out with all the congestion. There always were several balls with no pockets that you had to bump out or shoot a lane open for. You couldn't really work down the table in sections like on a bigger table. You had to work the whole table to get balls open for later on. One good thing was there were no long shots, so it was impossible to miss if you could shoot. Position was hell in all that traffic, but usually there were safety options until some balls were cleared off. Very different game and decision-making process than on even a 7 footer, imo.

Last edited:

AtLarge

Have had this match in my saved youtube folder forever. SVB vs Josh Roberts, barbox 8 ball.
Best 8 ball match i've ever seen. Been a while since I watched it, but if I recall the only "error" in the whole match was a dry break by Josh.
Just perfect position, cluster management, some real great outs. No safeties the whole match i don't think.
The middle game (#8 of 15) was the only game that was not a break and run. Josh scratched on the break and Shane ran out.

So Shane was 8 B&Rs on 8 breaks, plus the run-out on Josh's scratch, so he had no errors.

Josh was 6 B&Rs on 7 breaks, and had just the one error.