Steve Cook vs Mark Tadd 1993 LA Open one pocket finals

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
I was there for that match. Tadd was the strongest player I've ever seen. Incredible work ethic. For a few years, he was the best around.

El Chapo

Verified Member
I was there for that match. Tadd was the strongest player I've ever seen. Incredible work ethic. For a few years, he was the best around.

He was the best I’ve seen too; I’ve always said that. In that time period when he was on I think he was the best offensive player on the planet. I don’t care what anybody thinks, I’ve seen them all and I saw him do shit I just haven’t seen anybody else do since. The guy would, for example, shoot balls from on the rail 8 feet away, hit them a million miles an hour, make them and get out from nowhere - I mean you just had to see the shit he was doing to even believe it.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
He was the best I’ve seen too; I’ve always said that. In that time period when he was on I think he was the best offensive player on the planet. I don’t care what anybody thinks, I’ve seen them all and I saw him do shit I just haven’t seen anybody else do since. The guy would, for example, shoot balls from on the rail 8 feet away, hit them a million miles an hour, make them and get out from nowhere - I mean you just had to see the shit he was doing to even believe it.

I played him in Salt Lake City when he was around 17/18. I beat him playing golf on a 6 x 12 at a place called The Farmers Daughter. He quit and suggested we play some one pocket. After some of this, I quit. He was a monster even then.

beatle

Verified Member
both were top shooters and the best out there. however at one pocket neither were even close to their nine ball speed. they looked so good because they didnt miss very often, not because of the well thought out shots they found.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California

I also watched that match from a front row center chair. He was just a whisper away from winning all three events at that tournament. Awesome for the short time he was active.

Grayback1973

Verified Member
Glad you guys like these videos I post.I'll be posting another one sometime later this year.It was a special event featuring Mark Tadd and Buddy Hall playing 9-ball,best 2 of 3 sets.It's quite a long match and will have to be 2 or 3 part segments.

I was a big Tadd fan(obviously) when I was up and coming.Met him the first time at Hard Times Bellflower when he was practicing in the tournament room.He'd practice and draw a crowd of people just to watch him.It was something to see the way he swaggered around that table whistling and cocky as can be.You knew you were witnessing something very special,kinda like seeing Bobby Fischer in the park and much like Fischer....poof....he was gone.

El Chapo

Verified Member
Glad you guys like these videos I post.I'll be posting another one sometime later this year.It was a special event featuring Mark Tadd and Buddy Hall playing 9-ball,best 2 of 3 sets.It's quite a long match and will have to be 2 or 3 part segments.

I was a big Tadd fan(obviously) when I was up and coming.Met him the first time at Hard Times Bellflower when he was practicing in the tournament room.He'd practice and draw a crowd of people just to watch him.It was something to see the way he swaggered around that table whistling and cocky as can be.You knew you were witnessing something very special,kinda like seeing Bobby Fischer in the park and much like Fischer....poof....he was gone.

I didn’t know it at the time, but mark tadd was the single greatest player and character I ever witnessed in pool. When I was seeing him a lot i was so green, I just figured there were monsters like him everywhere. As it turned out there were, but not like him in my opinion.

I would not mind one bit if others who know more knocked my assessment, but I honestly believe he coulda given the world the last two for a stretch there and it would been a game with anybody. The reason I believe that is he just did not respect anybody, and I know now that is one of the things that made him so great. I’ve never seen such an arrogant player and been in such admiration, still to this day. And, believe it or not, I actually hate arrogance usually.

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
Pretty good.. I've seen it before.. I go to Mark Tadd's FB site now and then.. He sure turned out to be a right winger conservative Christian type.. Good on him...

check this one too. T-Rex/SVB

https://youtu.be/XK3JZm-WgMc?t=43

I thought pool was a religion. Based on skill (fact) not revelations. I haven’t experienced any miracles in a one pocket match. Quite the opposite.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
As I said before, I've never seen a better all around player than the Tadd I saw in Reno and LA in 93 and 94. His moment was fleeting. I watched one of the Efren/Shane interviews on CIS and Efren said he beat Tadd giving him the 7 in 9 ball, but he didn't say what year that happened. I doubt it was 93 or 94.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
LOL.... that's too funny and way to politically incorrect for today.

Salt Lake was our last stop on a summer road trip that started out in Phoenix, went through New Mexico, Colorado and Wyoming and ended up there.

I wondered what we were doing in Utah, but my road partner, Poker Paul, said we would find golf action there. Golf was about 80% of what we played on this trip. Summer action was pretty slow in NorCal so we decided to give it a whirl.

Our first stop in Salt Lake was a bar that had a 6 x 12 in it with a $20/2 golf game. That place covered the nut and we headed to the pool room the next day. After I played Mark Tadd some golf and one pocket he told me there was a golf player in the back room playing poker that would quit the game and play some.

I forget the guys name but he was a well known action guy that just loved golf. Sure enough, he quit the card game and we played some golf. He would only play for $40 a game. I did not stall and figured I would beat him for a few bucks and he would quit. He could play some, but not good enough and he did not quit for a long, long time.

We won quite a bit for a $40 game and when he finally did quit, many hours later, he told me I had bad luck because the only reason he quit was he ran out of ‘Stuff’. Then he shook my hand, got in his black Mercedes and drove away.

The Farmers Daughter was good to me.:D As far as I know the room is still there. Farmers Daughter Billiards is listed in play pool.com

Sorry to railroad this thread, but recalling these stories are good mind exercises for me.

Last edited: