Spring Members Tournament

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Rising the entry fees is profitable for the better players, they figure to get in the money and thus win more money. It is a negative expectation bet for all the other members! Why not just have a side pot for those that want to compete for more dollars? You could make it for any additional amount, say $500.00 a man. That way its a level playing field. Sappo

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
John, I hope you will at least consider upping the entry fee. Any of us who chooses to pay the expenses to travel to one of these events can easily afford it. The player auction doesn't help much. As an example. In Chitown I bought myself and afterwards found that I had to come in second just to break even!

I vote for a poll!

Tom
Lol... if you wish to vote for a poll Tom, you have my permission to start a poll to vote for a poll... yes... i ran the auction in Chicago.. you went for to much money, that darn Kentucky kept running you up...lol
Yes, you know it always sucks for the better players to risk more money in a auction to make money... I think they call that odds on the money...

Being serious here, from the beginning, the Main MOT yearly tournaments the members agreed to pay deep, 8 places and 6 in the auction. Thats not a normal payout structure for a 32 player field.. If you remember the original idea was to keep the payouts spread out as to discourage high level players from joining up here just to take down the cash, there by ruining the tournament.

We have continued that idea all along and Miller and me decided in the SRC tournaments to keep that going. I think we payed to 6 and 4 in the 16 player ones. Still pretty deep but we also had 1500 generously added by Bill so our payouts were actually bigger than any of the 32 player mains. That much added is not likely to happen this year.. It was very generous by Rowsey...
So there is a little more to this than just raise the entry... I'm working with Andy to get a few things confirmed for us. That will take a little time. So we will re evaluate everything once that is done.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I wanna help out on this too. Ima try to call Deathball Troy and get him to show up and stir things a little bit at ya'lls
next gettogether..

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Tom, my girl collecting days are far behind me now.

Last time I was at a strip club one of the girls, a very cute Cuban, called me, "Papito."

Lou Figueroa
Spanish for Daddy

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Can one of you math whizzes weigh in -- would it be reasonable to have a tiered entry that works like this?

You can enter for say 100 or 200, but if you cash, your winnings are based on as if everyone only paid up to what you paid -- so if you won but only paid 100 to enter, you would not win the whole pot. The highest finisher at the upper entry would get their 100 level payout position, but they would get the top portion of the upper entry level. So you might pay several at the 100 entry level and a couple at the 200 level -- that sort of thing.

It's just an idea, and only a half-baked one at that lol

youngstown

Verified Member
Can one of you math whizzes weigh in -- would it be reasonable to have a tiered entry that works like this?

You can enter for say 100 or 200, but if you cash, your winnings are based on as if everyone only paid up to what you paid -- so if you won but only paid 100 to enter, you would not win the whole pot. The highest finisher at the upper entry would get their 100 level payout position, but they would get the top portion of the upper entry level. So you might pay several at the 100 entry level and a couple at the 200 level -- that sort of thing.

You could just do an extra hundred dollar side pot

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ

Steve the best solution is to have a side pot for those that are interested. Lets face it there are a handful of our players that are favorites to cash and to win. Its unreasonable to ask a lower ranked player to pay more if they are big underdogs to win or to cash. If I was a top player I would be in my favor to raise the entry fee as high as I could get it, why not, Im going to win more. I feel if there are any players that don't want to spend the money to play because they may not cover their expenses then they should stay home. Sappo

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
$200 entry fee. I would not chance Covid for any less. My expenses include airfare, hotel, food for a $100? Really any more I am just dead money but most of us play for a hunnert a game all the time. What Chicago MOT? They had their chance and no one wanted to go. Lets go somewhere there is food lodging close by.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Steve the best solution is to have a side pot for those that are interested. Lets face it there are a handful of our players that are favorites to cash and to win. Its unreasonable to ask a lower ranked player to pay more if they are big underdogs to win or to cash. If I was a top player I would be in my favor to raise the entry fee as high as I could get it, why not, Im going to win more. I feel if there are any players that don't want to spend the money to play because they may not cover their expenses then they should stay home. Sappo
In that case my entry should be $10. I am really not worth that but my name recognition is worth $20.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Sorry, but I will never understand attending a tournament which offers zero financial incentive to the potential winner and it's not like anyone who plays in our events is a shoe-in to win.

There are dead money players who attend tournaments all the time. This is nothing new. The bulk of participants in pool tournaments are just that aren't they? Why do they choose to play? Each of us know the answer to that question because we all have been there. We get the opportunity to compete with better players and learn from them. Sometimes we pull off an upset. For a pool player, it doesn't get much better than that. In our MOT events there are far fewer dead money players than what you may find in most tournaments

Okay, I'm done promoting my opinion. I just feel anyone who plays through a field of players and come out on top aught to walk away with more cheddar than they came in with. It's hard to believe increasing the entry to $200.00 creates such a hardship on anyone here. It's about 10 to 15% more to most of us in terms of expenses.

Tom

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Easy to say when you're a favorite.

Sure there is always "dead money" in a tournament. The thing is that this is not truly an "open" event and no where near a pro event. The spread of talent throughout the field is considerably wider because there are guys at a MOT that just love 1pocket and want to play, with their desire to hang with a group of *friends* far outweighing their skill level.

You want to really knock heads -- go enter the US Open One Pocket in Vegas and tell Mark you want him to jack up his entry fee because you feel you won't win enough to cover your expenses if you take first place, lol.

It's not about hardship -- its about fairness for this event.

Lou Figueroa

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Sorry, but I will never understand attending a tournament which offers zero financial incentive to the potential winner and it's not like anyone who plays in our events is a shoe-in to win.

There are dead money players who attend tournaments all the time. This is nothing new. The bulk of participants in pool tournaments are just that aren't they? Why do they choose to play? Each of us know the answer to that question because we all have been there. We get the opportunity to compete with better players and learn from them. Sometimes we pull off an upset. For a pool player, it doesn't get much better than that. In our MOT events there are far fewer dead money players than what you may find in most tournaments

Okay, I'm done promoting my opinion. I just feel anyone who plays through a field of players and come out on top aught to walk away with more cheddar than they came in with. It's hard to believe increasing the entry to $200.00 creates such a hardship on anyone here. It's about 10 to 15% more to most of us in terms of expenses.

Tom

Tom, I’ll start saving my gambling money now. We can play for 50 a game. That should help you cover some expenses😁

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Tom, I’ll start saving my gambling money now. We can play for 50 a game. That should help you cover some expenses😁
i would like to watch that
you could play at my house if you wanted to
i would only ask that i could post wwyd and you guys would be done by 10 PM