So how can OnePocket.org do more to support One Pocket?

Fanatic

Verified Member
Did you know -- and Liz for that matter -- Q-Masters is a likely location for one of our MOT tournaments?
No I didn’t but it’s a great place to have one! Gary and his staff were wonderful and the layout in the back is perfect for watching. We played on the Diamonds and all the equipment was in great shape. Nice choice!

BRLongArm

Verified Member
well playing by 1 set of rules would be a start!

shotclocks are necessary

races can vary to suit the hosts
Shot clocks are not going to happen as a standardized condition unless one promoter takes over and makes a tour. Imagine the logistics of a time keeper for each table. Just not cost effective. As for your other comment about standardized rules, I agree.

RabbiHippie

Verified Member
Steve, I sent you a PM about my own efforts at promoting one pocket along the same lines you proposed. I've met most of the room owners in the Midwest and there is some interest, although like all businessmen most need some convincing.

Last edited:

unoperro

Verified Member
Shot clocks are not going to happen as a standardized condition unless one promoter takes over and makes a tour. Imagine the logistics of a time keeper for each table. Just not cost effective. As for your other comment about standardized rules, I agree.
Players set the clocks themselves. No extra bodies needed. Some may not want to use the shotclocks,fine they are out.

Last edited:

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
I've taken note that the MikeTV's videos on Facebook have a flying AZB banner show up from time to time (even for one pocket matches!).

We might want to do something similar with Accu-Stats, Omega, Dazn etc to promote our website

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
"in-house Fargo, so to speak."

"In house" meaning "in a pool room or small region, right?

Simple is best, IMO, and I'd suggest needing nothing more than average balls pocketed per game. Someone would have to re-calculate with the latest data added after each tournament, but that should take only a few minutes.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
IMO, instructing the "old school" way is not the best way to promote the game. To get as far as possible away from "watching paint dry" from the start, I'd recommend teaching "cool" shots, multi-rail banks, traps, caroms, multi-ball herding etc. As a player progresses and learns from over-aggressive mistakes, he/she can start toning it down from experience and lots WWYDs. (not teaching these aggressive shots are the way to play, just showing that they are possible and work very well when they work, and are FUN!)

unoperro

Verified Member
"in-house Fargo, so to speak."

"In house" meaning "in a pool room or small region, right?

Simple is best, IMO, and I'd suggest needing nothing more than average balls pocketed per game. Someone would have to re-calculate with the latest data added after each tournament, but that should take only a few minutes.
I believe you are advocating handicaps?
F!@# no.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I believe you are advocating handicaps?
F!@# no.
What Beau the TD at Amazin Billiards has been doing for their One Pocket tournaments, is all even races in their tournaments. but in the singles tourney you pay a staggered entry fee based on your rating. And then he also had a scotch doubles tournament where he had a max of like 1200 for the combined rating. Using Fargo because that is what there is.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
This kind of thing comes up for local tournaments or leagues all the time because the skill disparity is wide in any given local market.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Better players must love that, just more dead money, for them.
The same handful of players usually cashEd for a long ime, but the skill level of the lower echelon players has increased quite a bit, and they sneak into the cash, and as their speed has picked up, they started gambling more too.

The players who became better one pocket players faster, were already good rotation players. Once it finally sunk in what a great game it is and they started playing more, boom.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
The same handful of players usually cashEd for a long ime, but the skill level of the lower echelon players has increased quite a bit, and they sneak into the cash, and as their speed has picked up, they started gambling more too.

The players who became better one pocket players faster, were already good rotation players. Once it finally sunk in what a great game it is and they started playing more, boom.
Hi John, I don't disagree with you. All Im saying is if an event is handicapped properly, meaning when a player should get say 10-6 from a stronger player and he gets that spot he should have an equal change to win and advance. Which means if handicapped properly all players have an equal chance of cashing or winning the tournament. Whereas a tournament where the weaker player pays less to enter that weaker player does not have fair chance to advance and probably will never cash or win under that structure. Therefore he is dead money. If you were a weaker player would you rather get the fair weight from each better player you faced and have a fair chance to cash or would you rather save a few dollars on the entry fee and never or rarely cash??? Happy Holidays Keith

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Hi John, I don't disagree with you. All Im saying is if an event is handicapped properly, meaning when a player should get say 10-6 from a stronger player and he gets that spot he should have an equal change to win and advance. Which means if handicapped properly all players have an equal chance of cashing or winning the tournament. Whereas a tournament where the weaker player pays less to enter that weaker player does not have fair chance to advance and probably will never cash or win under that structure. Therefore he is dead money. If you were a weaker player would you rather get the fair weight from each better player you faced and have a fair chance to cash or would you rather save a few dollars on the entry fee and never or rarely cash??? Happy Holidays Keith
I firmly believe a tournament or league handicap should NOT be enough to make the players "equal". That totally penalizes the player that has worked hard to improve, and saps the incentive for the weaker players. It is what the big leagues like APA and USAPL etc try to do, because they are totally geared to the weaker players and the idea of playing pool as a "fun night out". In those leagues, you get "penalized" for seeing your handicap rise because you play hard all season long -- the whole idea is to "have fun" all season long, and then try harder (and get coached up) in the playoffs, when it matters.

Whatever we come up with (onepocket.org) for any ranking system for our local One Pocket leagues and tournaments, if my hand is involved, the math is going to shoot for no higher than 75% of what the weaker player would actually need to be "equal". Playing at 50% the weaker player will only win short races, but at about 75% it depends a lot more on which player is playing either closer to their good days or closer to their off days. I'm just guessing at those percentages, but I think they are probably in the ballpark. I refuse to endorse anything that attempts to make things "equal" -- because that rewards laziness and carefree play and penalizes honest effort to learn, improve and excel. Our whole onepocket.org website reason for being is to promote learning, improvement and excellence!!

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
I firmly believe a tournament or league handicap should NOT be enough to make the players "equal". That totally penalizes the player that has worked hard to improve, and saps the incentive for the weaker players. It is what the big leagues like APA and USAPL etc try to do, because they are totally geared to the weaker players and the idea of playing pool as a "fun night out". In those leagues, you get "penalized" for seeing your handicap rise because you play hard all season long -- the whole idea is to "have fun" all season long, and then try harder (and get coached up) in the playoffs, when it matters.

Whatever we come up with (onepocket.org) for any ranking system for our local One Pocket leagues and tournaments, if my hand is involved, the math is going to shoot for no higher than 75% of what the weaker player would actually need to be "equal". Playing at 50% the weaker player will only win short races, but at about 75% it depends a lot more on which player is playing either closer to their good days or closer to their off days. I'm just guessing at those percentages, but I think they are probably in the ballpark. I refuse to endorse anything that attempts to make things "equal" -- because that rewards laziness and carefree play and penalizes honest effort to learn, improve and excel. Our whole onepocket.org website reason for being is to promote learning, improvement and excellence!!
Steve , if you read my 3 posts on this matter all I have been saying is that unless a tournament is handicapped to create a fair somewhat level playing field, then better players will always win! Charging those players less entry fee does nothing to improve their game, does not in any way reward laziness or carefree play, and does not in any way penalize honest effort to learn, improve or excel. To the contrary it allows them to compete against all the players the field where they will not just be run over but rather be in a position where they can experience the thrill of competing and if they are playing their best that day the thrill of winning. Whats the sense of entering a tournament if you don't have a reasonable chance of winning?? Now at an event like the Derby thats a different story but all those players already love and play One Pocket. I was under the inmpession we were discussing getting new people interested in the game and your system doesn't work for that group.
Going back to my original statement, which of course had to be challenged, The system of having weaker one pocket players pay less entry fees only creates more Dead Money!
Last I really couldn't care what rules you decide because in the long run they won't have any meaningful effect on the state of One Pocket. Sappo/Keith

Last edited: