Simultaneous pocketing

Johnny J. Willis

Verified Member
If you happen to pocket a ball in your hole as well as pocket a ball in your opponents hole ( and your opponent only needs one ball), is the game over? Or until you miss?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
As a follow up what if you are playing 8/7 and there are 2 balls left and you make one in your hole and one in your opponents hole on the same shot? Shooter's advantage and is the winner. What if the ball goes in opponent's pocket first before your ball that travels 3 rails before falling? Still shooter's advantage and win? I say yes in both instances, just making sure that's correct lol

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
As a follow up what if you are playing 8/7 and there are 2 balls left and you make one in your hole and one in your opponents hole on the same shot? Shooter's advantage and is the winner. What if the ball goes in opponent's pocket first before your ball that travels 3 rails before falling? Still shooter's advantage and win? I say yes in both instances, just making sure that's correct lol
Always goes to the shooter -- it does not matter which ball falls first (on the same shot).

It turns out this is one of the oldest established rules in One Pocket. having been in place for Johnston City, and also in Fat's rule book (which predates any BCA rules coverage for One Pocket).

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Always goes to the shooter -- it does not matter which ball falls first (on the same shot).

It turns out this is one of the oldest established rules in One Pocket. having been in place for Johnston City, and also in Fat's rule book (which predates any BCA rules coverage for One Pocket).
steve
could you provide a link to where the rule is stated.
i know i have read it before and that IS the rule but i cant find a source now
EDIT
i found it see post below

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
i found it in the jansco rules......rule #10
View attachment 437971
What does Ed note mean?
The ED Physician Note is a CDA document that may be submitted to an ED Folder in order to record the care delivered to a patient in the emergency department. The ED physician note is designed to support documentation sufficient to support transfer of care.
-----------
I know, no more rules for me, but, I just had to comment on this great OP historical game rule writing. It appears that the game rule writing was wrote by someone with a physician or medical background! Check out the ED; Note: By the way, this is the greatest Safety Play Statements in all of writing annuals of the game of OP, just so simplistically/beautifully written.
-----------
I wish they would of keep the '61 Lag Rule - winner of the lag could pass the break but maintained choice of scoring pocket. BCA official OP '67 rules adopted this '61 Break Rule, so someone in power within BCA liked it.
-----------
Rule 13. Balls pocketed in any pocket other than a foot pocket are re-spotted. No penalty.
-----------
I'd like to point this out for historical verification, and for it further verifies my discussion concerning Ring Bank Pool, of which I suggested to modernize the game, then balls should be spotted immediately as they were at one time in all games that balls can be neutrally pocketed. OP as well as Ring Bank Pool, at that time - historically - balls were spotted immediately, and if a score was made play continued, even on jumped balls off the table.

In reading the above Jansco's OP game rule, one has to remember that it is only a guideline for spectators to follow the game as they are watching it. For the complete rules they used the BCA official 14.1 rules, as did all games, for their general rules. The one great rule change that varies from 14.1 - 3-nurse rule, is that they changed it and adopted it as a 3 foul rule. Rule 8. Although the 3-nurse rule still might of applied at Jansco, do not know.

But the 14.1 - 3-nurse rule has now recently gone by the wayside by WPA. Although IMO a great rule and should apply to all games, except OP.
Forgive me about talking about rules again, but this is of significance historical importance. Whitey

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
What does Ed note mean?
The ED Physician Note is a CDA document that may be submitted to an ED Folder in order to record the care delivered to a patient in the emergency department. The ED physician note is designed to support documentation sufficient to support transfer of care.
-----------
I know, no more rules for me, but, I just had to comment on this great OP historical game rule writing. It appears that the game rule writing was wrote by someone with a physician or medical background! Check out the ED; Note: By the way, this is the greatest Safety Play Statements in all of writing annuals of the game of OP, just so simplistically/beautifully written.
-----------
I wish they would of keep the '61 Lag Rule - winner of the lag could pass the break but maintained choice of scoring pocket. BCA official OP '67 rules adopted this '61 Break Rule, so someone in power within BCA liked it.
-----------
Rule 13. Balls pocketed in any pocket other than a foot pocket are re-spotted. No penalty.
-----------
I'd like to point this out for historical verification, and for it further verifies my discussion concerning Ring Bank Pool, of which I suggested to modernize the game, then balls should be spotted immediately as they were at one time in all games. OP as well as Ring Bank Pool, at that time - historically - balls were spotted immediately, and if a score was made play continued, even on jumped balls off the table.

In reading the above Jansco's OP game rule, one has to remember that it is only a guideline for spectators to follow the game as they are watching it. For the complete rules they used the BCA official 14.1 rules, as did all games, for their general rules. The one great rule change that varies from 14.1 - 3-nurse rule, is that they changed it and adopted it as a 3 foul rule. Rule 8. Although the 3-nurse rule still might of applied at Jansco, do not know.

But the 14.1 - 3-nurse rule has now recently gone by the wayside by WPA. Although IMO a great rule and should apply to all games, except OP.
Forgive me about talking about rules again, but this is of significance historical importance. Whitey
Maybe Editorial Note or Educational Note? (just guessing)

Reactions: lll

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Sorry, I didn't even see the newspaper article. I was replying to the emergency department copy of your search which I misunderstood. Yes, In a newspaper article ED is short for Editor. My mother has been the Editor of three different newspapers over her lifetime...lol
Whitey, where does it state balls in bank pool are spotted immediately after break to "vindicate you in changing the rules"...

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Yes, I believe it stands for Editor's Note, for I recall that the set of rules was put in the local paper so that the locals that are not so aware of this unusual game could follow it when they attended the matches.
Whitey

Reactions: lll

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
John, I'll retract my statement that the ob neutrally pocketed was spotted immediately, for rule 13 may have been a shorten version of how the rule is actually played. In '67 when BCA adopted One Pocket they held neutrally pocketed balls until the end of the inning.
I'll not continue to discuss banks on this thread, out of respect to the thread creator. I made a mistake in even mentioning it on this thread, my apologizes.

To get back on track with this thread here is our rule.
This is from the OP.org official rules.
3.2 End of the game: In the event that a player pockets both their own game-winning ball and their opponent’s game-winning ball on the same legal stroke, then the shooting player wins. There are no ‘ties’ and it does not matter which ball drops first, as long as they both drop as a result of the same stroke.
----------
Note; if a cb scratch also occurs then all pocketed balls spot plus the shooter owes the table another ball to be spotted, unless owed. Then with 3 balls spotted, then do a 3-ball Whitey and win the game! LOL, no one has done it yet!

Johnny Willis, if you wondering what that is, then go to my thread on spot shots.
Whitey

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
Our rules (getting me started again) say that only one ball has to hit a rail on the break shot. I hate this rule and will always oppose it. The cueball must hit a rail or at least two object balls hit a rail or else you'll get the soft breaks and create long-------------long games. Which is why we tried to change the rules to begin with. Ike is loving the soft break rule. He is one of the best at that break. Where have I heard this before ?"I Like Ike."