Simultaneous pocketing

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Our rules (getting me started again) say that only one ball has to hit a rail on the break shot. I hate this rule and will always oppose it. The cueball must hit a rail or at least two object balls hit a rail or else you'll get the soft breaks and create long-------------long games. Which is why we tried to change the rules to begin with. Ike is loving the soft break rule. He is one of the best at that break. Where have I heard this before ?"I Like Ike."
The early Jansco rules and the 70 rules somebody recently posted make it clear that from the beginning One Pocket has been “either the cue ball or one object ball” 😄

Last edited:
Reactions: lll

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Well, yes, early beginnings but the break was circumvented in the BCA official OP rules 2003. It may have happened sooner; I do not know.
Here is how it reads:
Opening Break
Starting player must (1) legally pocket an object ball into his targeted pocket, or (2) cause the cue ball to contact an object ball and after contact, at least one object ball must contact a cushion. Failure to do so is a foul. Note: the cue ball does not have to strike a rail on the opening break.
Whitey

Baby Huey, is stating how tournament play should be to stymie the possibility of a soft head ball break from occurring.
TD's should take note, for you sure would not want a guy plaguing your tournament with this type of break, no time for this tom foolery.

Break anyway you want when matching up, but tournament play is different.
Whitey

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
Used to play a guy that would freeze the cueball to the side rail and just roll up on the head ball, popping the corner ball out near his pocket. Annoying!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Well, yes, early beginnings but the break was circumvented in the BCA official OP rules 2003. It may have happened sooner; I do not know.
Here is how it reads:
Opening Break
Starting player must (1) legally pocket an object ball into his targeted pocket, or (2) cause the cue ball to contact an object ball and after contact, at least one object ball must contact a cushion. Failure to do so is a foul. Note: the cue ball does not have to strike a rail on the opening break.
Whitey

Baby Huey, is stating how tournament play should be to stymie the possibility of a soft head ball break from occurring.
TD's should take note, for you sure would not want a guy plaguing your tournament with this type of break, no time for this tom foolery.

Break anyway you want when matching up, but tournament play is different.
Whitey
That was the BCA -- who never had a clue about One Pocket and did not endorse or support the game. Naturally their attempt at rules would be unlikely to conform to the way that players and promoters who actually loved and promoted the game saw it.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Yes, the BCA break rule is pretty bizarre, I was actually shocked to see how they played the break. It is actually completely opposite of what Baby Huey is suggesting.
But, none the less they were at that time the governing ruling body, and the only one governing over OP ( I believe ), and the only one that had OP rules.
So, that is how the game was played by many that followed their rules or in actual BCA sanctioned OP events, if there were any at that time.
Whitey