SENIORS ONE POCKET BOGIES BILLIARDS HOUSTON- Sep 29 – Oct 2, 2022

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Jerry, the two point shot is definitely a novel idea -- not conforming with standard One Pocket. But it does seem to me it would be a fun way to liven up a game that gets bogged down up table -- if it is necessary.

The Grady rule works, and it really doesn't change the game of One Pocket that much, but it is confusing, and probably especially to onlookers or viewers. The two point shot would at least be fun to watch!

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
So, there is NO time limit on the match, just each players shot?
I can't speek for Jerry, although I guess I already tried to lol. But in reading what he wrote above, I got the feeling he was talking about more like a standard shot clock. Possibly with the added feature of you could "bank" unused time for a future shot that needed extra rumination. I don't know it there is a clock that does that.

Maybe you could use a chess clock somehow, set up for blocks of time based on a certain number of shots taken with that time frame, with an overrun of that block being a BIH penalty but not loss of game??? Like 15 minutes each player on a chess type of clock, set up to allow for 20 shots each player taking 45 seconds each shot. the clock would have to somehow countdown both your remaining block of time, and the number of shots you had left in that time. It's an idea -- but like I said, I'm not sure if an app might have to be written to keep track of it. Plus the penalty for overrunning a block might have to be progressive to work -- just a BIH for the first one or two, then loss of game for a 3rd one?? I am making this up as I go along lol.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I can't speek for Jerry, although I guess I already tried to lol. But in reading what he wrote above, I got the feeling he was talking about more like a standard shot clock. Possibly with the added feature of you could "bank" unused time for a future shot that needed extra rumination. I don't know it there is a clock that does that.

Maybe you could use a chess clock somehow, set up for blocks of time based on a certain number of shots taken with that time frame, with an overrun of that block being a BIH penalty but not loss of game??? Like 15 minutes each player on a chess type of clock, set up to allow for 20 shots each player taking 45 seconds each shot. the clock would have to somehow countdown both your remaining block of time, and the number of shots you had left in that time. It's an idea -- but like I said, I'm not sure if an app might have to be written to keep track of it. Plus the penalty for overrunning a block might have to be progressive to work -- just a BIH for the first one or two, then loss of game for a 3rd one?? I am making this up as I go along lol.
The entire issue is making sure races to 3 or 4 in 1 pocket don't take on the average of over 3-4 hrs.!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I watched the seniors, and at times an hour into a game the score was 1-0. Therefore if they instilled a 45 min. game clock, meaning at 45 min. the game ends and the player with the highest score wins, it could be a very low scoring game. This would have to coupled with a time per shot, otherwise a player could stall.

In watching some of these games, the players were not shooting at their hole. I seen plenty of opportunities to do so, and yes if they did shoot to their hole there is a possibility they could sell out a shot, especially if they cannot control pocket speed. As Steve alluded to; that playing safe is often the choice.

This thread touched on how to get a guy to shoot to their hole, my only solution I can think is some form of Grady's rule.

I really appreciate Baby Huey's heartfelt comment about the up table play, and I concur. I too really enjoy a skillful up table play.

Seniors is such a special event, and the players are there to play, so a race to 4 winner side is probably greatly appreciated by the players. I would not change a thing, But, if possible I would start earlier on opening day!
Whitey

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Steve you and I disagree about this rule. But you do know that action matches will not use it. I know you think it speeds up the game and all of that but it changes the complexion of One Pocket as we know it. My thing is to have a shot clock where you can save time or have a bank of time saved for those situations that call for the use of more time in deciding your shot.

I play a couple of guys that love an up table game.

I work hard to not give them the opportunity to send balls up table. Now, against a Varner, probably wouldn't work. But against a lot of guys you'd be surprised how leaving them on the side rail vs the end rail stops a lot of nonsense.

Lou Figueroa

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
The entire issue is making sure races to 3 or 4 in 1 pocket don't take on the average of over 3-4 hrs.!
I think Nicks average was 5 hours. The only match less than 3 hours was with me because I refused to play him that way. I just couldn’t make a tough bank and scratched too many times.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Shoot, Jim. One of his GAMES lasted 3 hrs with Preacher Ron ! I am not really upset, I had Nick in calcutta.
I should have won the first game but I dogged a ball and then scratched. I had a chance the second game but scratching on three cut bank banks ruined that chance. Sometimes I just shoot myself in the head😝

baby huey

Verified Member
Look, SOME seniors just play slower. Ever hear about old age? Believe me it's a real issue. Steve got my idea right. I was talking about a shot clock bank of time for those situations where you really are in a tough spot and have to try to figure something out. Our own wwyd's take a lot of studying and sometimes take pages before one of us figures the shot out. I HATE THE GRADY RULE..........UCK.

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Still think a chess clock is the way to go.
A shot clock would require monitoring or a ref on all tables and can be a little subjective.