Seniors event

baby huey

Verified Member
I had a great time in Houston. I loved the format racing to three games. I read some of the commentary and it seems that several of us want the old guys to shoot faster, play with the "Grady Rule," or just speed up play. Really, make the old guys play a game that is geared toward viewership not the players themselves? For me, I'd have been happy to be playing at 3 AM in the finals no matter what. Those that complain about the format didn't play or got knocked out early. I call that "Sour Grapes," to say the least. First off, the staff and ownership at Bogies were most gracious and provided an excellent venue and added money to the event. They bent over backwards for us even providing lunch and free practice for the seniors. Let's give them a big THANK YOU. Jeff Sparks was instrumental in starting this shindig and John Henderson for his support and work behind the scenes for making this happen. Steve Booth needs a shout out for keeping this site working as I know it's a labor of love on his part. He certainly isn't getting rich keeping this site functioning. I don't know who won as I had to leave early sunday night for an early morning flight. Just rambling here but I'll just put a few more points out there. I wish Frank Almanza was here and I hope he is OK. I enjoyed watching Sammy Jones play again in a tournament. Ike Runnels is a monster and plays very well. Dr. Bill still plays very well. Tommy De Lorenzo came out and played well. Bob Herchik has the patience of JOB. His match with Skitto was was a real marathon. And lastly, WHO WON?

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
I had a great time in Houston. I loved the format racing to three games. I read some of the commentary and it seems that several of us want the old guys to shoot faster, play with the "Grady Rule," or just speed up play. Really, make the old guys play a game that is geared toward viewership not the players themselves? For me, I'd have been happy to be playing at 3 AM in the finals no matter what. Those that complain about the format didn't play or got knocked out early. I call that "Sour Grapes," to say the least. First off, the staff and ownership at Bogies were most gracious and provided an excellent venue and added money to the event. They bent over backwards for us even providing lunch and free practice for the seniors. Let's give them a big THANK YOU. Jeff Sparks was instrumental in starting this shindig and John Henderson for his support and work behind the scenes for making this happen. Steve Booth needs a shout out for keeping this site working as I know it's a labor of love on his part. He certainly isn't getting rich keeping this site functioning. I don't know who won as I had to leave early sunday night for an early morning flight. Just rambling here but I'll just put a few more points out there. I wish Frank Almanza was here and I hope he is OK. I enjoyed watching Sammy Jones play again in a tournament. Ike Runnels is a monster and plays very well. Dr. Bill still plays very well. Tommy De Lorenzo came out and played well. Bob Herchik has the patience of JOB. His match with Skitto was was a real marathon. And lastly, WHO WON?

Nobody won because they didn't have time to finish the tournament.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO

Ike and James split 1st/2nd since it was around 4am when the 3rd place match completed. Nice seeing you again, Jerry.

keoneyo

Verified Member

You make some great points Jerry.
Those who want a fast game and excitement shouldve gone to Pat Flemings site for the International 9 ball event. I hear there was a lot of shooting and some excellent run outs.
One pocket is a game of strategy where you have hundreds of options and the player must look at all of them in crucial situations. You are not playing just the table but you are playing the player. His weaknesses and his strengths. What psychological and physical level he is at the moment. And thus what strategy you wish to employ. Pros like The Lion and TRex know this and their isnt much to figure out with the high level of play so they know what they must do to win.
Maybe Im just old school but I love watching the way minds work against an opponent and I subscribe to the theory that if you are bored watching 2 excellent players taking their time its that you dont understand the game. You dont know what to watch.
If I feel that 2 players are WASTING time I just dont watch but this was not the case in some long games. But this is the same way I feel when some players just shoot at anything to get it over with. Thats boring as well.
But in the end I am not opposed to using a shot clock. I know it was used in the One Pocket Make It Happen events and seemed to work well. Anything else I would deem antithetical to the game.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i think i will post this in the threads that are appropriate
i have not read all the responses
but here is my 2 cents for your consideration
i am a purist so i dont favor grady's rules
shot clock is an option but i am not sure we need that
i would be more in favor of going to 6 if the game is over 1 1/2 - 2 hours
that doesnt change the essence f the game
but this is what i really want to say
friday and saturday went on time
i think you have to figure out how to have a semi final and final on the the last day
or the match to determine who plays the winner in the winner bracket on the last day
i dont know much about brackets or tournament play
but if you can get the 2 players fighting to play the winner in the winner bracket on the last day
there is only 2 matches the last day
that should finish before midnight....
just an idea

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I like reading posts from various people who were there, it helps paint a better overall picture, thanks for the write up Jerry!