scott vs efren challenge match

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
This is what he had in mind Larry. :)
Rod.
P.S. If you hit it going in, you kick it over and still get safe.

thanks rod
your version is probably correct:)
will post what scott shot around 6:30 am tommorrow
sweet dreams you'all
:)

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Well, if you miss the 5 and hit the stack you may still come out ok, but.

I would like learn from SHD or Freddy, or anyone else some more about this shot so I propose a small bet up to $100 or so just to make it worth your time.

We set up the balls as close as possible and we each get ten tries to see who comes out best. I'll shoot into the 1 ball, you kick at the 5. We each shoot twice more, trying escape or shoot for our hole. The person with the most balls pocketed wins the cash.

I only mentioned Dick and Freddy because I do travel to Chicago and Phoenix. I may also get to Dallas and NYC and a few others.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Well, if you miss the 5 and hit the stack you may still come out ok, but.

I would like learn from SHD or Freddy, or anyone else some more about this shot so I propose a small bet up to $100 or so just to make it worth your time.

We set up the balls as close as possible and we each get ten tries to see who comes out best. I'll shoot into the 1 ball, you kick at the 5. We each shoot twice more, trying escape or shoot for our hole. The person with the most balls pocketed wins the cash.

I only mentioned Dick and Freddy because I do travel to Chicago and Phoenix. I may also get to Dallas and NYC and a few others.

Anybody who cannot hit the 5 on that shot gets 9/8 LOL.

On a serious note, I would make that bet with you If we ever get the chance.

Wouldn't mind playing some either if we ever run into each other.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Hey John, I would love to play you some. I think I need more like 9/7 from you.

If I ever get to California you'll be my first call. I will be in Phoenix the last week of march if your traveling around.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I believe that my choice would be the most predictable, that would be to go off the 15 ball and get the cue ball behind the five. Easy to operate and it puts him in a tougher position to get out of.

Second choice is John's shot to two rail at the five ball. Hit well it may even go in. The down side to it is that you expose the balls on your side. The upside to this shot is that you remove his only threatening ball.
( Rod, I don't think you can get the cue ball back to the long rail like in your diagram. The ball normally will go out some where near 45 degrees.)

Shooting at the one ball to put the cueball into the stack may be a challenge from the distance involved. To insure that a ball hits a rail the 15 ball may leak out. It's a shot that would have to have everything in place to work. It's a good option if you could be certain of the outcome.

Forget about the 4 ball. Not even an option for me.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I am two rail kicking behind the five ball fairly firmly.

Look at the angle after you hit the five. You may make it off either stripe or at the very worst, get it by your hole, leaving the cue ball back uptable.

I would be surprised if this is not the shot he took.
I like your shot the reason I passed it was because of the position of the cue ball, positioned on the rail. It's very difficult to get good side spin on the cue ball from where it's positioned that's why I like lagging from this position.

Billy I.

bstroud

Verified Member
I like the kick shot but in this situation I feal you are much better off leaving the cue ball on the end rail and letting your opponent take THE chance.

I would move the ball at the end of the table and FREEZE the cue ball to the end rail near the pocket.

Bill Stroud

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
well scott chose to bank the solid into the 2 balls that were tied up and sent the cue ball 4 rails towards efrens pocket not sure if he was trying to get more behind the stack or trying to get behind the 5??
anyway he shot it something like this and left efren like that
es2.jpg

es3.jpg

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
I see three shots that could be possible options if they lay correctly.
#1. You could possibly bank the 4 ball toward your side to develop a stronger position if the angle offered allows you.
#2. You may be able to lag into the 1 ball and drop the cue ball softly into the stack. This is a good shot but a little risky, you could knock the 15 ball out for your opponent if this shot is hit too hard.
#3. You can lag into the 15 ball with good speed and drop behind the 5 ball. I like this shot the best of the three mentioned because it looks to be a natural angle that doesn't demand perfect speed with the cue ball.

Billy I.

I like Billy's 1st choice also if you can kill the CUEball, I think that would be tough with how extreme the angle is, my question would be is that why Frost went four rails w the Q instead?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I like Billy's 1st choice also if you can kill the CUEball, I think that would be tough with how extreme the angle is, my question would be is that why Frost went four rails w the Q instead?

I don't believe so. Inside English will keep the CB along the short rail and lengthen the bank. He probably choose running English because you can hit it harder and open more balls, and still possibly get very safe.
Rod.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I don't believe so. Inside English will keep the CB along the short rail and lengthen the bank. He probably choose running English because you can hit it harder and open more balls, and still possibly get very safe.
Rod.

RBL will be hard to live with now...That was his shot choice. If Scott was going to choose that shot, I believe he would have been better served to hold the CB up enough to go 3 rails, to just above, (or even better just below) the side pocket on Efren's side...It turned out fairly good, but I sure would not have brought the cue ball down there...He could have gotten in big trouble, or very possibly, gotten his hole cleaned out... I still like kicking 2 rails at the 5 better...:cool:.. Frank's shot (my second choice) is better than what Scott shot.

Last edited:

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
RBL will be hard to live with now...That was his shot choice. If Scott was going to choose that shot, I believe he would have been better served to hold the CB up enough to go 3 rails, to just above, (or even better just below) the side pocket on Efren's side...It turned out fairly good, but I sure would not have brought the cue ball down there...He could have gotten in big trouble, or very possibly, gotten his hole cleaned out... I still like kicking 2 rails at the 5 better...:cool:.. Frank's shot (my second choice) is better than what Scott shot.

Like you said SJD hold the cueball up or like I said kill the cueball ...

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I see three shots that could be possible options if they lay correctly.
#1. You could possibly bank the 4 ball toward your side to develop a stronger position if the angle offered allows you.
#2. You may be able to lag into the 1 ball and drop the cue ball softly into the stack. This is a good shot but a little risky, you could knock the 15 ball out for your opponent if this shot is hit too hard.
#3. You can lag into the 15 ball with good speed and drop behind the 5 ball. I like this shot the best of the three mentioned because it looks to be a natural angle that doesn't demand perfect speed with the cue ball.

Billy I.

Scott"s choice was a strong shot simply because the angle he was looking at allowed him to go around the table with the cue ball, As far as how far around table he chose to go would be debatable, bu never the less his shot was a good one for several reasons.

#1. He could stroke the shot with enough velocity to open up balls on his side of the table.
#2. He was close enough to tthe 4 ball to hit it accurately 100 % of the time.
#3. The 3 rail route that the cue ball would take was comfortable, and free.

Bottom line, it was a very strong shot with just about no risk involved. And as you can clearly see the results of the shot supports his choice.

Billy I.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
after watching scotts shot again it seems that he wanted the q to stop behind the stack more even tho it was not near a rail or on a ball

you could see him gesturing with his hand and i thought i could hear him say "hold" as the q kept drifting closer towards efrens pocket

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
This is what he had in mind Larry. :)
Rod.
P.S. If you hit it going in, you kick it over and still get safe.

Even though I like shots of this kind I don't like the where the cue ball is positioned, and the angle going into the 5 ball. I set this shot up and shot it several times with little success. The shot that Scott shot was much better imo, the key to Scotts shot was the angle that the 4 ball offered him which was a good one.

Billy I.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Even though I like shots of this kind I don't like the where the cue ball is positioned, and the angle going into the 5 ball. I set this shot up and shot it several times with little success. The shot that Scott shot was much better imo, the key to Scotts shot was the angle that the 4 ball offered him which was a good one.

Billy I.

I was just diagramming John H's shot for Larry, it wouldn't have been my choice. It might have been a good one, but not for me.
Rod.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I was just diagramming John H's shot for Larry, it wouldn't have been my choice. It might have been a good one, but not for me.
Rod.

Without an overhead view of the angle for the shot Scott took it's hard to tell. I certainly do not think my shot selection/execution is better than his but it looked a little tight for the cue ball coming out of the corner for me and I am sure he was trying to mix things up on his side (which he did) and drop the cue ball down behind the ball on the rail.

He did fall a little short but the shot worked out fairly well.

I would like to see what Efren did next.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
your wish is my command:D
efren got the 3 out and moved some balls away from scotts pocket and towards his
heres the shot and how he left it for scott
es5.jpg
es4.jpg

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
The funny thing is I shot a similar shot two days ago but it was a three ball combo, the qb traveled exactly like Scotts and then I banked out my winning shot after that.