Scott/Chip

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I was in Phoenix last week playing Tres and he asked me who I liked in the match. I told him I’d give Chip the slight edge. Tres looked at me like I was crazy. Anyways I’ve been picking them wrong for a while now and WTF, Chip won. I also sparred a bit with Gus, second time I’ve played him and he was much friendlier this time around. I love Phoenix.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Like most of you, I watched almost all of the match, especially day one and day four. These are my comments:

Play: it was stellar. The players gave all they had and it was very enjoyable.
Pace of play: Too slow, with too many unannounced breaks. If it is streamed, only unannounced breaks should be bathroom breaks. Schedule breaks for smoking, eating and resting ahead of time so the viewers know and can do something else while the break is on. A good reference would be: smoke breaks between games, dinner break scheduled, bathroom breaks if needed as unannounced breaks.
Commentating: ok, nothing great. The stream would have benefited from a top level pro, if nothing else than to have the "street cred" for the $30 price tag. I think Trace did a fine job, but he is unknown outside of Arizona. TV Mike wasn't anything special, but he was competent in the booth. If you are charging for the stream, most of the value is the commentary. Poolactiontv has Jeremy Jones. Omega has nobody.
Stream: Poor. We had terrible stream quality, with large jumps in the game. Don't know if it was local or widespread and would like to hear other's experience on the stream.
Length of match: Way too long. It seems like races to 40 take too much out of the players and extend too long into the night. In this case, they had to add a fifth day. Races to 32 or 36 seem to be optimum, or races to 8 and start over the next day might be fun.

Overall, a pleasurable match and I hope Omega takes this as constructive criticism rather than just hate. Like all of us, I want them to put on a great product. These are the things I liked and didn't like, along with suggestions to improve.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The biggest thing Chip had to over come was shooting at the left pocket when it wasn't his break. There was a weird roll to it where it was almost impossible to make a pocket speed long rail bank to it. I only saw a few made in it all 5 days. Huge advantage for Scott playing on that gaff table. If the ball was coming in close to the side rail it would dive into the rail, if it was coming in a little wider it just hold up straight and just miss outside...weird..
I've never seen a table play that bad in one of these big matches. Chip was visibly upset every time his banks didn't even come close to that hole.
So was Scott. In fact it is pretty much a tell, as to what kind of frame of mind Scott is in, his degree of complaints and body language around presumed rolls and skids. Once I saw that kind of behavior, even with the lead, I could see Scott approaching a potential loss.

Reactions: lll

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Commentating: ok, nothing great. The stream would have benefited from a top level pro, if nothing else than to have the "street cred" for the $30 price tag. I think Trace did a fine job, but he is unknown outside of Arizona. TV Mike wasn't anything special, but he was competent in the booth. If you are charging for the stream, most of the value is the commentary. Poolactiontv has Jeremy Jones. Omega has nobody.
"Trace" -- you must meanTres Kane, who is actually a member here. He definitely knows his One Pocket so if he was commentating I would expect it to be at the very least knowledgeable, because he is definitely a smart dude -- including very smart about One Pocket. I watched a lot too, and I would go back now and watch or rewatch any parts that he did the commentary on because I would be shocked if it was not good commentary. I either only tuned in when he wasn't, or I even may have had the volume off thinking it was the regular (TV MIke maybe) that was doing it, but didn't seem to want to be doing it most of the time -- my impression anyway. I've done a little commentary myself -- maybe there are plenty of people that would turn my sound down on too lol.

chicagomike

Verified Member
I am pretty impressed by Chip...He has really been taking on some tough games lately and doing pretty well. I like when he gets into his old school mode of airtight play. He really knows how to come with some simple effective moves in some pressure situations. Also I agree with Steve that Trace is a knowledgable and competent commentator. I have heard him on Fast Lenny streams and enjoy hearing what he has to say.

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
Sheldon, any chance you could cut & paste Scott's comments here? Some of us don't do FaceBook.

Scott Frost

Onepocket Match Of The Year Recap: I will start by saying I had respect for Chips game prior and after. He showed heart. Thank you to Mike Hoang and Mmp Phil along with TV Mike for the stream along with OmegaBilliards.com I know Mike Hoang is doing the very best he can for the players and I respect this.
Day One: I am typically a slow starter and per the course was down 4-1 before I knew what hit me. I wasn’t to panic and just grinded my way back closing out day one with myself being up 10-6. From there I had the lead the next 5 days.
I’m the one that pushed for a race to 40 and I take full responsibility. I lead the match literally 97% of the time. On day three I was up 29-20 and needed just one more game but after the third day in a row of 10 plus hours of mental grind and two hour games I had told my corner that my eyes, mind and body weren’t communicating with each other. At 29-20 the game came down to one ball and I lost that game and then 4 more straight behind it.
I lead the entire way but didn’t know how cause I wasn’t sleeping well and couldn’t execute like I wanted and it was frustrating. The age thing is not an excuse it’s a fact and a reality that I’ve sadly just learned.
Final day, day five: I was going into day 5 up 35-32 and I didn’t feel I had done much wrong Chip played pretty good and had a few fortunate things happen but that’s part of it. Next thing I know I’m DOWN, for the first time in FIVE DAYS. I was down 37-36 racing to 40 and I told myself to just give it everything I had and I came with it big time. I won the next three games going up 39-36 and on the hill.
HILL HILL one game for 90k: Chip broke the balls good as expected. I had to play a combo bank and stun the cue ball into the stack at the same time and I hit it perfectly getting a ball to my side. We juggled for position a few shots and I was left with another combo bank and this one I made. I then got two more balls following and played a perfect safety with a 3-0 ball lead and chip frozen to the back of a ball. From there all the balls went up table. Chip nicely grinded out two balls then missed a long rail bank on the 6 ball but left me elevated over a few balls. He left me in a spot where I couldn’t see his ball down by his pocket but I had a 3 ball within about 5 inches of the cue ball that I felt really good over. I knew I could cut it length of the table and I 100% felt I could make it then bank the 6 or be straight in so I was left with only that option (in my mind) was to cut the 3. I back cut the 3 length of the table and it never hits a rail going straight into the heart of the pocket. I ended up scratching all the way down in the bottom left corner off two balls. I knew the cue ball was going down table but I also knew the only way I could scratch was if I caught the 2nd ball perfect and that’s what happened. Instead of going up 4 or 5 balls to 2. I now had 2 balls and Chip ran 4 good balls from there. Looking back I could’ve played a defensive shot but I was so close to the 3 I knew I could make it and I did.
Hard way to lose but I must say for the most part Chip and I just played pool. Over 5 days anyone will have discrepancies but overall It was a clean match and I plan on doing it again, just not a race to 40.
Congrats to him, if I would’ve won it would’ve been sad to see a loser in this battle being that it was won by a single game but that’s sports, and that’s pool. One thing I can say is when it got to the end I definitely didn’t dog it.
Lastly: To my unbelievable corner! Tony Bloom, Juli Bloom, Hunter Bloom, Samantha and the amazing baby Cameron along with Zach Franzi, John Norman Bagosi, Rick and Erica. Sitting there for 5 days watching the ups and downs going through the same emotions as the player is nothing short of tough. I wanted to thank you all for sticking by my side and I have no words other than I did give it 100% and came up short.
And thank you to all who came to Freezer's Sports Bar & Grill - Now Mill's Modern Social and watched in person. Thanks to all who ordered the stream as well.
~Always remember to never give up and that you are not measured by your wins but more so by how you bounce back

Chip:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I think I have Tres's number -- I'm going to find out when he did commentary if he did. I definitely want to go back and listen if he did!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Scott Frost

Onepocket Match Of The Year Recap: I will start by saying I had respect for Chips game prior and after. He showed heart. Thank you to Mike Hoang and Mmp Phil along with TV Mike for the stream along with OmegaBilliards.com I know Mike Hoang is doing the very best he can for the players and I respect this.
Day One: I am typically a slow starter and per the course was down 4-1 before I knew what hit me. I wasn’t to panic and just grinded my way back closing out day one with myself being up 10-6. From there I had the lead the next 5 days. ...
Sheldon, thanks for taking the time to post this! Classy commentary from both men-- especially from Scott.

chicagomike

Verified Member
I did the commentary on tuesday the first day.
What’s up? How do you spell your first name? Tres? Trace? You do a real nice job with your commentary…I’d love to get out to AZ and see you guys. How’s Bernie?? Don’t hear much from him.

frmn

Verified Member
I will be in Tucson for Billiards. Bernie has been hunkered down for covid I think. Haven,t seen himm in over a year and he hasn,t played in the few 1P turnaments that we,ve had around here