Santa Cruz

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
A few of you expressed interest in having an OP.Org MOT on the best coast. How would you like to go somewhere special? There are few places in our country that have near perfect Mediterranean weather. Santa Cruz, Ca. Is one of them. Fast Eddys is in Capitola, Ca. juust a few steps away. I spoke to Todd tonight and he and his family would love and willingly host our event. He was really excited when I broached the subject. The winter time in Santa Cruz is very nice, it is usually shirt sleeve during the day. Summers are not bad either and might be a better time. Todd and his family really do host a great event whenever they do a promotion.
He did mention a prize fund but I told him I didn’t know what the new rule was since the furrin tournament. His was already taking about a taco truck being there all day. There is a health nut place next door. Really great Taqueria a few blocks away.
He has promised a minimum eight tables, two of them Diamonds in the sky and the rest are GG. Many years ago I built a platform that holds two tables. That is probably where the Diamonds are sitting. One other time, I converted the kitchen into a one table tournament room. The GGs are a mixture I can find out.
Closest airport forty miles, San Jose International. They fly direct to most cities because it is the center of the Silicon Valley. The beach during the winter is qui, qui, surperb. Shuttles back and forth to the airport.
Best part, Warren, Robert can drive, going through Phoenix, LA, Santa Cruz, Sacramento, Medford, Portland, and the beautiful Port Angeles.
Did I mention that downtown Santa Cruz is really bustling, full of good restaurants and specialty stores to please the eye and the mind?
There used to be topless beaches back in the day, but I’m not sure if the men shave their chest or not.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Fast Eddie’s is a room with a lot of character and a great history. Might be where I first met SCRZ (Kentucky Bill). We have put in a lot of miles together since then. If I remember right, he was in with the other guy.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Fast Eddie’s is a room with a lot of character and a great history. Might be where I first met SCRZ (Kentucky Bill). We have put in a lot of miles together since then. If I remember right, he was in with the other guy.
You’re memory went to the beach. I was the one who got you there. It was supposed to be a trap for you but if I recollect correctly and I do, I won a motor home that night and was barred again. You played LL and Tony.

Last edited:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I played at Fast Eddys for the first 10-15 years before I headed over the hill to play. Hendy was a legend around the area. I met him when he played Larry Liscotti at the Old, Old, California Billiards. There have been three since. He beat him the first day and we (LL, myself) went to congratulate, talk to him, give him some cheese from winning. Reputations preceded us but we had never really met. To everyone in our area, he was the premier OP player around. No he wasn’t pro but what a show he put out. He and I started playing each other not long after that and we traded numbers. If anyone wanted to talk to John, they called me. And that’s how we met and how I because somewhat of a better person and a much better player. He got me to join OPOrg and he quickly berated me for being too aggressive on the forums. Oh how I have mellowed. He should tell us the story of that night. Very memorable.

Reactions: lll

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA
I'd make every effort to make the hike up there to play. Kudos for your efforts to organize. Sounds good--I hope it can happen. Since Hardtimes Bellflower closed there isn't a whole lot of regular or monthly tournament one pocket happening in the area that I'm aware of.

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
Bill, I would really enjoy sitting and listening to yours and Johns' stories. Be very entertaining. At 74, I have some memories of quite a few characters from the past. John has us by a few years, so he would know quite a few more.

Jakie(NickP) knows a lot of stories from the East coast. Baltimore, New Jersey and NY had a lot of old pool characters. Not to
mention Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.

Reactions: lll

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
For a mystical Mediterranean pool adventure that tests the most stalwart cultist to ten hours a day ignoring the dynamic of young women dancing on the beach, in favor of crusty old men chopping over who slept a ball while listening to 1980's pop-hits....? Where do I sign up?