Rules Question

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJD inPHX said:
But, I've never seen an OB, or a cue ball, replaced after the shot is completed. Especially in one pocket...at least not in my lifetime.
SBL,

I'd like to kill the person who taught you to highlight certain words in your posts. It makes them no more important than any other words jughead and it just shows that you have a limited comprehension of the english language and a limited grasp of your audience. We can understand your posts without the highlights all the time.

Regarding the above comment by you; I guess you mean you never saw it in your lifetime except for your 20 yr. timeout when you didn't see anything except the inside of a mailbox:cool: .

RBL

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
cocktail hour starting early ??:rolleyes:
lll,

No, it's actually starting about three weeks late:p . I was off work yesterday and today so this is like your saturday & sunday. Jennas finest is sure good after doing without for three weeks:cool: . I have taken garbage to the dump, filled up the rear gas tank on my 79 F-350 4x4 and ran it through the carwash, I have mowed the lawn, weedwhacked the weeds (after returning the piece of crap Homelite weedwhacker that I bought yesterday to Home Depot and replacing it with a Ryobi), went to the post office, went to the arabic restaurant and got some shawarmas (chicken & lamb), went to the newest hamburger joint in town (Five Guys Burgers & Fries (no sexual jokes here)) and got a couple of double burgers and cajun fries, stopped on the way home and bought a case of Miller Lite and a fifth of Jennas finest. I'd say I've had a full day:D .

Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Cowboy Dennis said:
lll,

No, it's actually starting about three weeks late:p . I was off work yesterday and today so this is like your saturday & sunday. Jennas finest is sure good after doing without for three weeks:cool: . I have taken garbage to the dump, filled up the rear gas tank on my 79 F-350 4x4 and ran it through the carwash, I have mowed the lawn, weedwhacked the weeds (after returning the piece of crap Homelite weedwhacker that I bought yesterday to Home Depot and replacing it with a Ryobi), went to the post office, went to the arabic restaurant and got some shawarmas (chicken & lamb), went to the newest hamburger joint in town (Five Guys Burgers & Fries (no sexual jokes here)) and got a couple of double burgers and cajun fries, stopped on the way home and bought a case of Miller Lite and a fifth of Jennas finest. I'd say I've had a full day

Dennis
im getting tired from all you did today:D
you deserve your jennas finest:)
why did you wait 3 weeks??:confused:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Cowboy Dennis said:
I felt I was drinking too much but the Duck, bless his soul, convinced me that I wasn't drinking enough:eek: . Everything's all right now:) .

Dennis

WC Fields quote.... "Twas a women, who led me down the road to drink...I never wrote to thank her."

PS..Are poll***k"s still allowed to drink in Detroit, or just Hamtramck ???

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJD inPHX said:
WC Fields quote.... "Twas a women, who led me down the road to drink...I never wrote to thank her."

PS..Are poll***k"s still allowed to drink in Detroit, or just Hamtramck ???
Ducky,

I think you've misspelled "poolsharks". Of course we're allowed to drink here & in Hamtramck.

RBL

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Cowboy Dennis said:
The original poster stated the rules he and his opponent had agreed to concerning accidently moved balls, that is all they had to go on. He said nothing about the cueball crossing the path of moved balls being a part of thier agreed upon rules. He was very clear as to their agreed rule. Everybody is making it up as they go along and including more rules as they go.

Dennis

I'm not saying the foul would occur because the object ball crossed the path of the CB but rather because the OB was hit by the CB thus altering it's course.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
This may be true, but the actual correct rule, in case the OP wants to know...is really not that complex. It has been an accepted rule in one pocket for years...If you hit an OB that you moved accidently, with the cue ball (which usually happens when you are making an awkward bridge, over a few balls)...It is a foul and you owe a ball, if you made a ball on the shot..it spots up...In the context of a refereed game (rare I admiit) if the shooter moves a ball "out of the way, of the path of the cue ball, that is also a foul...This is usually, quite open to conjecture, in non-refereed games (or a black eye) unless it is very obvious.

This is NOT a complex rule..I have had it called on me, (in refereed games) I have called it on myself, and I have called it on my opponent. To put it simply, the act of moving an OB, to where it effects the intended path of the cue ball, is a foul...even if you are playing cue ball fouls only...It is obviously a foul, if you make contact with the moved ball..This rule also applies in almost every other discipline. It is no different than if you let the cue ball accidently hit your stick after contact.

I will be the Dr., until the Dr. returns...Because I am older. (and wiser)...:rolleyes:

I like this a lot and also like Dennis' all ball foul, which ever way my opponent wanted to play. The only trouble is most of my opponents were to stupid to play with San Jose Dicks' rule and they also refused to play all balls. I had one customer who would invaribly take a ball out of your pocket to spot up when he took a foul or scratched. No matter how often you caught him he just said-oh sorry, honest mistake. And if there was about a tenth of an inch space between the cueball and the object ball, they would just push right through them as if they were froze and dare you to complain. I didn't care. This gave me license to do the same and a lot worse to them. I let hundreds of fouls go by "unnoticed" if I knew I had a codlock..

I had one guy who would be winner or loser, didn't matter, just walk out of the poolroom and go get some take out stuff and bring it back and eat it with me watching and when he got done he would say allright lets play. He knew I wasn't going anywhere cause I beat him about 30-35 times in a row without ever adjusting. And he wouldn't ask me If I wanted something or tell me anything. Just leave. He was a building contracter. And he would swing by and check on the job site and so forth. And after the second or third time we played he got sore at me because I wouldn't adjust and started telling everybody he could that I was a homosexual. A friend told me right off the bat and instead of getting mad, I found it amusing. Then after some more sessions he started liking me and we played on sight. I liked him too. What was not to like? I bought a poolroom with six regulation tables and my first rent house with his money. He asked me many years later why I wouldn't adjust. I said why should I? You would come in and say something about adjusting and I said naw its really too close and you would wait five minutes and say well come on lets play a few. Thanks for the memories Robert...............

treeMan

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
John,

He and his opponent agreed to play by a rule that couldn't be applied in this case, that's how rules evolve to cover all situations.

No foul occurred (according to their rules) and it was physically impossible to replace the 3 ball.

P.S. The Duck only plays pocket-speed banks:p .

Dennis

Although it's better to be explicit, to me the cueball fouls only rule already includes the provision of "if the ball you move disturbs the natural path or location of another ball that was moving during the shot" it is a foul.

And in that case I am on the Duck's side, if another moving ball came anywhere close to the location of the ball I moved, it is a foul. jmo, but I think most players worth their salt understand this.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
lll said:
just play all balls foul like dennis said

Thats very good Dennies. I like that. And IF you play all foules likr Denies said thier are no arguments and nothing too tal;k about.

THats the way it was and thats the way it should be. Were all grown men.

Not babies and if we cant play like men and play by all foules then we need to grow up.

Anytime you interfeer or touch another ball its a foul. Excepte youre mistake and you pay the penalty for the foul.

If you get it past I will vote a million times for that rule. And it eliminates all the arghuing.

And were was the ball and were should we put the ball back too. Its redicoulous. This is pool So play by a leget rule.

Dont make up somrthing too componsate for your mistake. You are a grown man. You should be able too play like one.

If you dont want too fould then learn too play without touching balls.

Its the same for everyone. And if you leave youre opponent jacket up.

And he touches the object ball its a foul. Get the rule past Denies and it will be a good change. For everyone.

And when you play you will be more carefull. And pay attention more too what you are doing.

I am completly for this rule. For a lot off good reasons. And it will eliminate the aregueing . And the games will go faster.

And no free passes. I dont think it will happen. Because thier are too meny cry babies.

But the rule is a good solid rule.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
treeMan said:
Although it's better to be explicit, to me the cueball fouls only rule already includes the provision of "if the ball you move disturbs the natural path or location of another ball that was moving during the shot" it is a foul.

And in that case I am on the Duck's side, if another moving ball came anywhere close to the location of the ball I moved, it is a foul. jmo, but I think most players worth their salt understand this.
treeman,

Now you are including another rule, that of any object ball moving crossing the path of a ball you moved being a foul. That's really rich.

You and your opponent are only playing by the rules you agreed to, nothing else is implied or understood except that.

I do not play by the rules you stated but I do play by the rules my opponent and I agree to.

As I've stated before, with the exception of older players who may be a little shaky, the only reason players have not to play "all ball fouls" is because they are lazy, dishonest and want to leave wiggle-room when they make the error. There's no reason in the world to ever have an argument about which balls crossed paths with balls you touched. Only a video playback could confirm those things with someone who is set on arguing.

Dennis

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
It might be possible to change the course of how one pocket is played and has been played for decades by posting on this forum but I doubt it. It seems to me you have your high rolling games and you have your average games. I wouldn't know how they play in high rolling games because I never played in one but I'll take Artie's word for it. Thing is, I've read the opposite opinion from Grady, I think. In average games to which I have been either a participant or an observer for quite a few years, I have never seen it played as all ball foul. I really doubt that this will change. It almost seems nitty unless you are bettiing huge amounts.

treeMan

Verified Member
Dennis,

There's no question that "all ball fouls" removes all doubt. I was only trying to over explain the 'caveat' that I believe is implied when playing cue ball fouls only, which is most of the time today.

A simple example is the OP's case :) :) clearly a foul.

tree

Cowboy Dennis said:
treeman,

Now you are including another rule, that of any object ball moving crossing the path of a ball you moved being a foul. That's really rich.

You and your opponent are only playing by the rules you agreed to, nothing else is implied or understood except that.

I do not play by the rules you stated but I do play by the rules my opponent and I agree to.

As I've stated before, with the exception of older players who may be a little shaky, the only reason players have not to play "all ball fouls" is because they are lazy, dishonest and want to leave wiggle-room when they make the error. There's no reason in the world to ever have an argument about which balls crossed paths with balls you touched. Only a video playback could confirm those things with someone who is set on arguing.

Dennis

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Is is funny or sad that only the USA plays with Cue Ball fouls only?

The rest of the world it is all ball fouls.

Players are required to learn the rules prior to competing and are often required to be referees.

Funny how that works... also PLayers join clubs to learn how to play and the rules of playing.

Also, the USA has more BAR Boxes than all other countries totaled.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
petie said:
It almost seems nitty unless you are bettiing huge amounts.
Now there's a good idea finally, when the bet goes up change the rules, when it goes down change them again.

You cannot state one good reason not to play all ball fouls other than it seems nitty to you. If you ever bet high enough to want to protect your money you would want to use all possible avenues to do so.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
treeMan said:
Dennis,

There's no question that "all ball fouls" removes all doubt. I was only trying to over explain the 'caveat' that I believe is implied when playing cue ball fouls only, which is most of the time today.

A simple example is the OP's case :) :) clearly a foul.

tree
treeman,

You may want to reread the original post in this thread, poster never stated that the cueball or the 6 ball crossed the path of the moved 3 ball. I give replies to what a person writes not what I thought they wrote or meant.

Dennis

dsb8541 said:
Playin $10 a game with regular sparring partner, very freindly, and playing cue ball fouls only, where it is understood that any ball inadvertantly moved by hand or stick is either left alone or put back by opposing player, so long as it is only one ball and not several balls.

So I am jacked up over a ball , say 3 ball, and hitting directly into another ball say 6 ball, w draw shot in order to freeze cb against 3 ball . So i shoot, move the 3 ball with my hand then cb and 6 ball come back into the area where they would have hit said 3 ball but it was not there anyomore cause i moved it with my hand.

So I only moved one ball inadvertantly, but I altered the outcome in an extreme manor. He ended up froze to the rail and the 6 ball, complete jail. We worked it out, but i was wondering if this would have been a high dollar set with a less freindly opponent, how we work this one out? Do you stick w the "only one ball was moved" rule, and if so, if he chooses to put the ball back where it was how can he since these other two balls now occupy that space?

Thanks for your opinions.

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
...hmmmm......

...hmmmm......

...I hope at least he charged you a ball for your infraction....I've always played that if the ball you moved is hit by or would have been hit by another ball then you fouled...he has the option to replace the ball(s) as close to the original positions as possible...or not and then shoot or pass the shot....I've had a double dose of "MEDs" (puff, puff, cough, cough)...this morning...so I hope that makes sense.....