RULES QUESTION BILLIARDS

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
is this this a legal shot playing 3 cushion? the cue ball is frozen to the rail
sorry for the pool table diagram...its supposed to be a billiard table so 2 goes to the corner
here is the rule i found
9. When a cue ball is frozen to a cushion, a player may not shoot into (play against) that cushion, and it is a foul to do so. A player may, however, masse away from the frozen cushion and then contact the same cushion one or more times.
3c rules layout.png

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i guess from the rule it is a foul but why should you not be allowed to hit into the cushion

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Hi Larry, I think I know the answer, but I'll let the experts reply. But I like how they wrote their rule.

I had a rule I also was wonder about, but it got answered just by watching a match. But when no legal shot is obtained by contacting a ball and then a rail, does the player lose a point from their score. But I do not think so because I believe I seen this happen and the score did not change.
Whitey

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
This is the correct ruling: 9. When a cue ball is frozen to a cushion, a player may not shoot into (play against) that cushion, and it is a foul to do so. A player may, however, masse away from the frozen cushion and then contact the same cushion one or more times.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
From my '68 BCA Rule Book on Billiard play.
Frozen Ball:
When resting or frozen against a cushion, cue ball may be played against that cushion first, but that cushion does not count on first impact if game requires cushion play. If the cue ball contacts the same cushion a second time, cushion counts, as do all succeeding impacts on that same cushion.

Also to answer my question as it pertained to back in '68, it would of been a foul back then and a loss of a point. All fouls back then was a loss of point.
Probably all players back then used the BCA Rule book as their bible. BCA does not even govern Billiard play anymore. Rules change!

Jake Schaefer was a great Balkline player, and they say Jr. was better. Both World Champions! Jr. was born in Chicago, so I have always wondered how much he influenced billiard play there. I guess he did play some 3c. It appears Balkline Championships died out in the early 30's.

Are fouls in todays game, a loss of point?
Whitey

Last edited:

rich htx

Verified Member
From
Houston TX
No loss of point,
just no point scored and inning over in any Carom game I've watched

Jake sr I believe is the one responsible for ruining straight rail and the reason balkline was invented, which of course he also made child's play of that game to.
The wizard

Hard to find the info,

Attachments

• billiards-player-jake-schaefer-sr-shot-making.jpg
    billiards-player-jake-schaefer-sr-shot-making.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 9

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Rich, this article is from the passing of Jake jr. Bur mentions the Sr.

JAKE SCHAEFER, 81, BILLIARDS EXPERT​

Jake Schaefer jr., five‐time holder of the world's 18.2 balkline billiard championship, died in Cleveland on Nov. 10. He was 81 years old.

Flourishing in the golden age of sports in the 1920's Mr. Schaefer won his title for the first time in 1921 by defeating another legendary billiard player, Willie Hoppe. He won again, also in tournament play, in 1925 and 1929. His two other victories were in challenge matches, in 1926 and 1927.

Mr. Schaefer's formidable talents with the cue were abetted by his size. He was tall and slender, a picture of grace, and he had long legs and a long reach, which permitted him to execute almost any shot on the table without resorting to a bridge. Although Mr. Schaefer won the adulation of other billiard players and thousands of spectators, he was a remote man.

In the balkline billiards, at which he excelled, parallel lines, or balklines, are drawn, on the table 18 inches from each rail, creating blocks in which with one exception the player is limited to two caroms when the object balls are in the same block. This type of billiards is considered the supreme test of professional skill.

Son of a Billiard Player

The son of a billiard player, Jacob F. Schaefer Jr. was born in Chicago on Oct. 18, 1894. The elder Mr. Schaefer, nicknamed the Wizard because of his exploits with the cue, tutored his son almost from infancy. He was also Mr. Hoppe's teacher. Oddly, the elder Mr. Schaefer's last professional match, in 1908, a year before his death, was a successful defense of his 18.1 balkline title against Mr. Hoppe.

The son, known generally as Young Jake, scored some spectacular runs during his career. Once, in a 1,500‐point match, he made a run of 432 balls On another occasion, he ran 585.

When balkline billiards declined as a sport—the last match play was in 1938—Mr. Schaefer turned his attention to three‐cushion billiards, but he never was able to attain a title.

In his later years, Mr. Schaefer directed the billiard room of the Cleveland Athletic Club.

He leaves his wife, Toni; a son, Jacob 3d, and one grandchild.

billiards-champion-jacob-schaefer-jr-1923-photo-print-12.jpg

35-AP35.jpg

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I see that Schaefer, Sr. had that side arm stance. Maybe that's where Hoppe got his. I'd always heard that Hoppe developed his side arm stance as a young kid when he was too short to stand over the table. Or am I thinking of Keith McCready?..:)

rich htx

Verified Member
From
Houston TX
Hoppe said in his book, just from being a short kid.

Here he is with Maurice Daly, his teacher who saw that young hoppe had more of a knack for Carom than he did for pocket billiards

Attachments

• Hoppe afbeeldingen 1408_0008.jpg
    Hoppe afbeeldingen 1408_0008.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 11