Rule Question.

Jackpete42069

Hi all,

I shot a ball and it hung in the pocket. I owed a ball, so I spotted one. The hung balk fell in my pocket when the ball spotted. What usually happens here? Does it go back, count or spot as well?

Thanks.

rich htx

Verified Member
From
Houston TX
what about if you make a ball for you opponent and scratch?
does his ball come up now with one of mine?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Hi all,

I shot a ball and it hung in the pocket. I owed a ball, so I spotted one. The hung balk fell in my pocket when the ball spotted. What usually happens here? Does it go back, count or spot as well?

Thanks.
the ball should have been respotted since it hung for i assume more than 5 seconds
here is the rule from the WPA
pertinent part bolded by me
8.3 Ball Pocketed

A ball is pocketed if it comes to rest in a pocket below the playing surface or enters the ball
return system. A ball near the brink of a pocket partly supported by another ball is considered
pocketed if removal of the supporting ball would cause the ball to fall into the pocket.
If a ball stops near the edge of a pocket, and remains apparently motionless for five seconds, it
is not considered pocketed if it later falls into the pocket by itself. See 1.7 Balls Settling for
other details. During that five second period, the referee should ensure that no other shot is
taken.
An object ball that rebounds from a pocket back onto the playing surface is not a
pocketed ball. If the cue ball contacts an already pocketed ball, the cue ball will be
considered pocketed whether it rebounds from the pocket or not. The referee will remove
pocketed object balls from full or nearly full pockets, but it is the shooter’s responsibility to
see that this duty is performed.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
here is the rule on settling balls
1.7 Balls Settling

A ball may settle slightly after it appears to have stopped, possibly due to slight imperfections
in the ball or the table. Unless this causes a ball to fall into a pocket, it is considered a normal
hazard of play, and the ball will not be moved back. If a ball falls into a pocket as the result of
such settling, it is restored as closely as possible to its original position
. If a settling ball falls
into a pocket during or just prior to a shot, and this has an effect on the shot, the referee will
restore the position and the shot will be replayed. The shooter is not penalized for shooting
while a ball is settling. See also 8.3 Ball Pocketed.

warrenr

Verified Member
What about my opp has a ball setting in his hole is bloc by two balls. You shoot hard and the ball goes in his pocket and the other two balls jump off the table. Does the ball pocketed come up with the two that went of the table and one of my balls? The cue ball stayed on the table.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
6.2 Scoring for fouls: Any scratch or foul results in the end of the shooter’s inning, as well as a standard one ball penalty. All balls pocketed in the shooter’s pocket as a result of a stroke that includes a foul do not count for the shooting player and are to be immediately spotted, along with the standard one ball penalty. Also, any balls pocketed in the opponent’s pocket on a stroke that ends in a pocket scratch or a jumped cue ball off the table are not to be counted for the opponent, and are to be immediately spotted. However, on a stroke when any other foul is committed (such as a push shot, double-hit or illegal ball contact), any balls scored into the opponent’s pocket are to stay down and be counted for the opponent. ref: 5.1 No jumped cue ball option
6.5 Ball off the table: Driving either the cue ball or an object ball off the table is a foul, whenever either comes to rest off the playing surface, or comes in contact with anything other than the table itself while airborne.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
What about my opp has a ball setting in his hole is bloc by two balls. You shoot hard and the ball goes in his pocket and the other two balls jump off the table. Does the ball pocketed come up with the two that went of the table and one of my balls? The cue ball stayed on the table.
based on our rules posted above the ball made for the opponent would stay down and count for him.
you would need to spot the 2 balls off the table and one of your own for the foul.
thats how i understand our rules

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
based on our rules posted above the ball made for the opponent would stay down and count for him.
you would need to spot the 2 balls off the table and one of your own for the foul.
thats how i understand our rules
I agree that is how they are written. In olden days an object ball off the table wasn't a foul but it has been for quite a while in tournament play. In anycase, like you already said, the only time the opponent's ball comes back up and is not counted is either a pocket scratch or cue ball jumped off the table. For other fouls it stays down.

Reactions: lll

Renegade_56

Verified Member
what happens if an object ball leaves the table, but was not near a pocket, or a players pocket at least?

General rule I always heard that keeps things simple is that "No One can score on a foul".

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
what happens if an object ball leaves the table, but was not near a pocket, or a players pocket at least?

General rule I always heard that keeps things simple is that "No One can score on a foul".
It doesn't matter, near or far, the only two things that can bring a ball back to be spotted (that you make in your opponent's pocket) is either a pocket scratch or cue ball off the table -- any other foul the ball stays down for your opponent.

Now, if you scored a ball in your own pocket, that is of course a different story -- you are correct -- you always have to give up whatever ball you pocketed if you foul -- any kind of foul -- including when an object ball is driven off the table.

baby huey

Verified Member
The rule now implies "five seconds" have to have gone by before you return the ball to its pocket location. When I was a kid, the old timers told me that when you shot and stayed down in your shooting stance the action was still live. In other words the inning was not over until you relquished the table.