Rule needed

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I don't know anything about one ball one pocket, but I'm feeling left out. I love rules - never get enough. Here's a hypothet:

Your opponent accidentally moves a ball several inches as he shoots. He points with his finger to the spot where it had been and not being aware you say okay and he replaces it. It's quite a sharp angle, but he cuts it in and then makes three more balls and you suddenly realize what has happened. Too late now, but -

I think he should have been forbidden by rule to shoot that ball as his next shot. Comments? :unsure:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
It is a foul for the shooter to restore a ball that they have disturbed without first allowing the opponent the option to restore the ball or leave it in position.
I accidentally disturbed a ball, it caused me to have no shot, so the opponent would not restore it. My carelessness his prerogative.
Whitey

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
Your opponent accidentally moves a ball several inches as he shoots. He points with his finger to the spot where it had been and not being aware you say okay and he replaces it. It's quite a sharp angle, but he cuts it in and then makes three more balls and you suddenly realize what has happened. Too late now, but -
I think he should have been forbidden by rule to shoot that ball as his next shot. Comments? :unsure:
No. It's on you for not being aware. Opponent did the right thing and gave you the option to move it back. End of.
Play all ball foul if you don't like it! (Or pay better attention. :D)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
It is a foul for the shooter to restore a ball that they have disturbed without first allowing the opponent the option to restore the ball or leave it in position.
I accidentally disturbed a ball, it caused me to have no shot, so the opponent would not restore it. My carelessness his prerogative.
Whitey
I think I understand the spirit of what the rule states. But for clarity the rule ought to specifically state that the shooter may not restore the ball. The portion, "...without first allowing..." seems to state that it's okay for the shooter to then replace the ball if the opponent agrees.

So for accuracy it would be either the opponent replaces the ball, or it stays where it lies. Only the opponent could judge which of the two.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
vapros and Doc, this is the complete rule.
Steve, came up with 6.6.2 Serious Foul to act judgement when a previous rule develops into a serious foul. When no referee is involved then 6.1 with 3 balls disturbed and can be restored then it is suggested a. standard foul with an opponent's option to restore, and if the 3 balls have an effect upon the shot, then it reverts to player's decision a., b., or c. 6.6.1 it is penalty a., b., or c. that is decided upon by the players.

6.1 Cue ball fouls only: When a referee is not presiding over the match, One Pocket may be played whereby disturbing a single object ball is not a foul, as long as there is no effect on the shot. For clarification, it is always a foul to disturb the cue ball, and it is also a foul if a disturbed ball has any effect on the shot; meaning if the disturbed ball has contact with any ball in motion, or if any ball passes through where the disturbed ball originated. It is always a foul when two or more balls are disturbed. When multiple (3 or more) balls are disturbed it is considered a serious foul. ref: 6.6.2 Serious fouls

6.1.1 Restoring a position: There is no restoration option when any disturbed ball has had an effect upon the shot; in that case the balls must be played from where they lie. Once it is acknowledged that a ball or more was disturbed with no effect on the shot, then the opponent must be given the option to restore the position or leave the balls as they lie before play is resumed. If the opponent elects restoration, it shall be as near as possible to the original positioning according to both players, with the opponent responsible for final approval. It is a foul upon the shooter to restore a ball without permission from the opponent. However, if the shooter was notified, yet resumes play without the opponent’s consent to the final disposition of a disturbed ball, then it is a breach of the restoration option, and a serious foul on the shooter. ref: 6.6.2 Serious fouls

6.6.2 Serious fouls: If the ruling is that a serious foul has occurred, in addition to the standard foul the official may further penalize a player at their discretion. If there is no official available, players will need to come to agreement themselves as to the level of penalty to assess the shooter. If it is possible to restore the balls, then the foul may be penalized (a) as a standard foul, with opponent’s option of restoration.

The following penalty levels progress from (a) through (c) depending on the seriousness of the offense, and whether the shooter has been issued a prior warning. A prior warning warrants an escalation of penalty. In this context a “prior warning” may mean a prior offense, a pre-tournament announcement or a player agreement prior to a match.

(a) Assess a standard foul penalty, and a warning to the shooter.
(b) Assess a standard foul penalty, and opponent receives the option of ball in hand.
(c) Loss of game.

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The wording, "...with the opponent responsible for final approval" makes it clear, irrespective of who ends up moving the disturbed ball. The rule is fine.

beatle

Verified Member
what wrong with leaving things as is when you have a meeting of the minds with both players.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
what wrong with leaving things as is when you have a meeting of the minds with both players.
Nothing -- that is fine actually at any time in the game when absolutely anything happens. If players can agree how to resolve anything, that is always an option and done deal! It is also right in our rules!!! I've highlighted in red:

12. Close calls and conflict resolution​

Unless a referee is assigned, players shall be responsible for refereeing their own match. Whenever the players themselves can come to an amicable agreement on any scoring or officiating issues to their satisfaction, and play continues, their decision shall be deemed final.