Ronnie Allen vs Keith Mcready and Harry Platis

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
A friend of mine in Mobile, Joe Nelson just gave me a copy of a one pocket tape where Ronnie Allen is playing solo partner against Keith McReady and Harry Platis....Ronnie has to shoot one-handed every other inning.....They are playing for $5,000...but I don't have the whole session.

What I have is about 2 hours long. Does anyone know of the tape; what year it was shot and/or the final result?...Keith appears to be in his mid to late
20's and Ronnie around 45 years old.

thanks.....gbru

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
gbru said:
A friend of mine in Mobile, Joe Nelson just gave me a copy of a one pocket tape where Ronnie Allen is playing solo partner against Keith McReady and Harry Platis....Ronnie has to shoot one-handed every other inning.....They are playing for $5,000...but I don't have the whole session.

What I have is about 2 hours long. Does anyone know of the tape; what year it was shot and/or the final result?...Keith appears to be in his mid to late
20's and Ronnie around 45 years old.

thanks.....gbru

I too, was looking for some info on that match. I PM'ed JAM (Keith's girlfriend) and asked several questions, but I didn't get many of them answered. Here is what she said... If anyone does have a date of when that happened, how they came out and how long they played, I would appreciate iit. Dick, since your good buds with Ronnie, maybe you can inquire about that.

That match with Harry and Ronnie Allen was a hoot. I have seen that too. If you look closely, you can see Jimmy Mataya coming up to Harry between games, wanting to side-bet. LOL! I can't remember what they were playing for, but I will ask Keith and get back to you. Keith really enjoys Harry's gamble and friendship, and they are still good friends today.

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
CaliRed said:
I fired up your thread again and we'll see if Jay can add something... seems like you were curious too!

I also sent a PM to Jay.....Thanks for yours and Ragbug's help.

The match was funny....Ronnie was always forgetting when he had to shoot one-handed....

And they took big advantage of each other when someone touched a ball by accident......

During a run Keith touched a ball on the spot. Another ball was frozen to it and was almost dead in his hole.....When Ronnie replaced it he made sure it was not close to dead.....They got a big laugh out of it....Two characters for sure.

Thanks.....George

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
CaliRed said:
I fired up your thread again and we'll see if Jay can add something... seems like you were curious too!

CaliRed....Jay posted this on AZBilliard today.....I copied and pasted it..
Thanks for the help ;) gbru

They played in Phoenix in 1988 at The Golden Eight Ball. It was after Ronnie and Danny got done for the day. The players were not hooked up to "mics" for the after hours game. I think each set was a Race To Five and Keith and Harry won one or two sets overall. The bet, as I recall, was 5K a side. Ronnie had a backer of course.

The filming took place independently of the production we did for the challenge match between Ronnie and Danny. I had nothing to do with the after hours stuff. I had worked all day on the Ronnie-Danny match and did not stick around for the after hours stuff. And we had to start shooting again early the next day. I don't know how long they played. I imagine it was hours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order Pool Wars

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
gbru said:
CaliRed....Jay posted this on AZBilliard today.....I copied and pasted it..
Thanks for the help ;) gbru
They played in Phoenix in 1988 at The Golden Eight Ball. It was after Ronnie and Danny got done for the day. The players were not hooked up to "mics" for the after hours game. I think each set was a Race To Five and Keith and Harry won one or two sets overall. The bet, as I recall, was 5K a side. Ronnie had a backer of course.

The filming took place independently of the production we did for the challenge match between Ronnie and Danny. I had nothing to do with the after hours stuff. I had worked all day on the Ronnie-Danny match and did not stick around for the after hours stuff. And we had to start shooting again early the next day. I don't know how long they played. I imagine it was hours.
Normally, I'd think that RA would have had the best of that matchup. I'm wondering if battling DD all day took some of the wind out of RA's sails? Of course the "mixture" may not have been just right either.:rolleyes:

Doc

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
gulfportdoc said:
Normally, I'd think that RA would have had the best of that matchup. I'm wondering if battling DD all day took some of the wind out of RA's sails? Of course the "mixture" may not have been just right either.:rolleyes:

Doc

Suprisingly though Doc.....Harry Platis played pretty sporty himself.....Keith was coaching him on every shot...

But from what I've heard Keith wasn't near the one pocket player as he was nine ball player. Is that correct?

george

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
gbru said:
Suprisingly though Doc.....Harry Platis played pretty sporty himself.....Keith was coaching him on every shot...

But from what I've heard Keith wasn't near the one pocket player as he was nine ball player. Is that correct?
That's correct, George. Keith was a very good 1P player, but he played way too loose to beat the top guys. Beard, Grady, or Jay can correct me if I'm wrong.

Doc

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
Fast Lenny said:

Thanks Lenny.....As evidenced in the teaser Harry played pretty sporty....In fact, when he missed he more often than not left Ronnie no shot. Of course, Ronnie and Keith made many great shots also.

I think they could have squeezed Ronnie a little harder by leaving him jacked up in the stack more often...especially when it was his turn to shoot one-handed.......Somehow I just don't see Keith as being that kind of one pocket player.....I think maybe that is what Doc was referencing to.

Although..... being the great gambler Ronnie was I'm sure he took all of that into consideration before making the game......I just don't think he anticipated Harry shooting so strong....all in all it was a very entertaing video.

I would still love to see a video of Ronnie in his prime years....say around 30.....But I guess that's not going to happen.

However.... there are lots of great stories and quite a few that witnessed him when he came thru Mobile in the 60's and 70's playing Cleo, Junior Moore and others....often one-handed.....

I wish I could get Joe Nelson to start posting here....He has some great stories and a fantastic memory.

Joe has one story about a young, 16 year old, straight shooter who rarely missed, Bubba Howard, from Mobile teaming with Ronnie against Cleo Vaughn for giant wad of cash....Ronnie had to shoot one-handed also.

thanks again:)

goerge

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
when ronnis and danny diliberto played for $10,000 how old was ronnie and was that close to ronnie in his prime?

SJDinPHX

Suspended
lll said:
when ronnis and danny diliberto played for $10,000 how old was ronnie and was that close to ronnie in his prime?

lll,

RA would have been around 50 in 1988. He was not completely over the hill, but he sure was not in his prime, and he said in the interview with Jay, that he hadn't been playing much at that time. Certainly not one-handed.
According to Jay, thats when the match with Platis and Keith took place.(at the RA-DD event.)

I had not seen Ronnie since about '74, and I first saw him again in '93, (when I retired) and by that time his health was beggining to give him problems, and his game had slipped considerably.

I did not make that event (RA vs DD) at the Golden 8 Ball. And I was working at UPS, less than a mile away at that time.

It must have recieved very little, if any, promotion in the local media. I was 15 years into my hiatus at that time, and never even went in any of the local pool halls.

Had I known it was going on, and all those old cronies of mine (RA, UJ, Beanie, etc) were there...I sure as hell would have at least stopped in to say Hi.

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Cowboy Dennis said:
Dick,

You have to watch out about throwing around the Double D's like this. Ghosty may think you are referring to Shanelle or Keiko.;)

Ghrost is a "door-knob" !!! :D

SJDinPHX

Suspended
One Pocket Ghost said:
pop..........:rolleyes:

....goes the door knob..:D

PS... For the uninitiated, a "doorknob" is equal in brainpower to that of.."a bag of rocks", "a brick", or "wool"
(which actually may be considered a compliment when used in this application ) ..:cool:

Last edited:

JeaLouS44

Verified Member
From
FL
correction..

correction..

just watched DD and RA last night it was for $20,000