Really IKE?????

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The thing I would point out is that "just the facts" without the "ma'am", could be in fact, just the facts. But once you add the "ma'am", it is no longer just the facts, because an unnecessary dig has been added.

Meaning Lou just oxymoron'ed himself :LOL:

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
clearly Lou was referencing the TV show and it's famous quote used in most every episode....and was not insulting anyone....without including the "ma'am" we would have not recognized his clever response to his antagonist.......shouldn't this just be let go and the error admitted....no harm, no foul.....?....:rolleyes:

lfigueroa

Verified Member
What I do see on AZ is lesser players seemingly driven to prove that although they may not shoot as well, these lesser skilled players want to prove they are just as smart or smarter than the pros). I can certainly understand how that would be pretty annoying for a pro to find themselves feeling like they have to defend themselves to players that might not be able to run a rack or two.

Just curious Lou, because I am not on AZ that much, have you personally ever had an argument with a pro over there? If so, who was it? I know you have over here with Freddy.

Just to be clear, Lou, do not ever call one of our male members "ma'am" -- that is a definite "no-no". Pure instigatory bullsh*t, and an example of how you periodically run afoul in forums. I appreciate what you contribute to the forums when you are in the mood to actually contribute, and I appreciate that has been what you have doing lately. So I am hoping you are not going to continue going down that "no-no" path...

wow, there you go, again, ready to string me up without a hearing.

"Just the facts ma'am" was a classic line from the old 1950's, TV show "Dragnet" utter by Detective Joe Friday. They even included that line and many other memorable ones, in the movie remake featuring Dan Aykroyd, lol. You can hear it in this movie trailer at about the 48 second mark:

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

Verified Member
The thing I would point out is that "just the facts" without the "ma'am", could be in fact, just the facts. But once you add the "ma'am", it is no longer just the facts, because an unnecessary dig has been added.

Meaning Lou just oxymoron'ed himself :LOL:

Maybe I was just quoting a memorable TV line that, apparently, others recognize.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

Verified Member
clearly Lou was referencing the TV show and it's famous quote used in most every episode....and was not insulting anyone....without including the "ma'am" we would have not recognized his clever response to his antagonist.......shouldn't this just be let go and the error admitted....no harm, no foul.....?....:rolleyes:

Thank you.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

Verified Member

Thank you.

Though actually he never said that exact line. Regardless, back in the day it became a popular catchline:

Just the facts, Ma'am​

Don't embellish your story. Many expressions moved from a movie or television program to popular speech, but none more quickly than a misquotation (as it turns out) of a lines by Sergeant Joe Friday, played by Jack Webb on the 1950s TV series Dragnet. With his deadpan expression and staccato speech, Friday enthralled the public; Dragnet was one of the highest-rated drama series of the decade. At least once in every show, viewers heard Friday tell a female witness, “Just the facts, Ma'am.” Except they didn't. He might have said, “Give us the facts, ma'am,” but he never uttered the four-word phrase. No matter, because the phrase swept the country in a wide range of contexts. If you wanted to be thought of (if only by yourself) as clever, you interjected “Just the facts, Ma'am” delivered in a Friday voice in a question or request. Oh well, Humphrey Bogart's character Rick in the movie Casablanca never said “Play it again, Sam” either.
Free Dictionary

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Fun fact from a old guy who was alive back then.lol The cop badge that was used in all the pictures etc was badge #714.. the identifing # on a Quaalude pill back then was 714..😆

ah, good man.

I grew up watching lots of those old shows (I wonder if an "I Love Lucy" reference is safe here?).

Good forbid I ever reference "the Bev."

Lou Figueroa
lock him up!

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
This is different times. The snow flakes get their feelings hurt over everything