Question for the rules guys ?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Playing yesterday my opponent blasted the balls. OB jumped table (He plays that's a foul ) another ball went in my pocket.
My ball stays down or comes up?

P.S. CB stays on the table, no scratch.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Playing yesterday my opponent blasted the balls. OB jumped table (He plays that's a foul ) another ball went in my pocket.

1P .org rules say: (6.2) "any balls pocketed in the opponent’s pocket on a stroke that ends in either a pocket scratch or with the cue ball off the table are not to be counted for the opponent, and are to be immediately spotted. However, on a stroke when any other foul is committed (such as a push shot, double-hit or illegal ball contact), any balls scored into the opponent’s pocket are to stay down and be counted for the opponent."

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Rod, if I understand your description, the CB jumped or hopped up in the air, then came back down onto the playing surface. If so, that is NOT a foul.

So the ball that went into your pocket counts for you.

~Doc

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Rod, if I understand your description, the CB jumped or hopped up in the air, then came back down onto the playing surface. If so, that is NOT a foul.

So the ball that went into your pocket counts for you.

~Doc

The object ball flew off the table but the cue ball stayed on. Is that a foul? If so, does the ball in Rod's pocket stay down or spot back up?

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
The object ball flew off the table but the cue ball stayed on. Is that a foul? If so, does the ball in Rod's pocket stay down or spot back up?

Im pretty sure that if an object ball went off the table and didn't end up back on the table surface that it is a foul, however, if the cue all stayed on the table, it is not a scratch and Rod's ball should stay down

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
1P .org rules say: (6.2) "any balls pocketed in the opponent’s pocket on a stroke that ends in either a pocket scratch or with the cue ball off the table are not to be counted for the opponent, and are to be immediately spotted. However, on a stroke when any other foul is committed (such as a push shot, double-hit or illegal ball contact), any balls scored into the opponent’s pocket are to stay down and be counted for the opponent."

However, on a stroke when "ANY" other foul is committed, with "ANY" being the operative word, ( object ball off the table foul ) I would guess that you get to keep the ball because it wasn't a pocket scratch and the CB did stay on the table... Good call Rod, your mind is still in tact, (he was playing me and he remembered he read something on OP.O about this ) even if your stroke is slowly vanishing... :) :) :)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Oh, I misread the OB situation. If an OB was forced off the table, that would be considered an "other foul", as LSJohn pointed out. Therefore the opponent gets to keep the ball pocketed, and it is his turn from where the CB lays.

Had ball(s) not been driven off the table, it would not have been a foul.

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
However, on a stroke when "ANY" other foul is committed, with "ANY" being the operative word, ( object ball off the table foul ) I would guess that you get to keep the ball because it wasn't a pocket scratch and the CB did stay on the table... Good call Rod, your mind is still in tact, (he was playing me and he remembered he read something on OP.O about this ) even if your stroke is slowly vanishing... :) :) :)

Yes, and I guess you're the only one who read the rule I posted. :eek:

beatle

Verified Member
the reason we never played object ball off the table was a foul, because the defining line for off the table was going past the felt. and it was too hard to tell if it did when close. so no one ever played fouls on object balls. and all balls in your pocket by opponent stayed unless a cue ball scratch.

old style rules were more simple to limit arguments which ended up in one person quitting.

and as long as everyone knows the rules it doesnt matter much what they are as they apply both ways. make too many rules or rules on small matters then disagreements start.

Jimmy B

Verified Member

So the way that it would be is that Rod's opponent would owe one ball, and Rod would keep the ball that went in his pocket, and you would spot the ball that went off the table, and it would be Rod's shot from where the CB came to rest, or behind the line???? We use to be more liberal. No foul.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
So the way that it would be is that Rod's opponent would owe one ball, and Rod would keep the ball that went in his pocket, and you would spot the ball that went off the table, and it would be Rod's shot from where the CB came to rest, or behind the line???? We use to be more liberal. No foul.

i believe you would play from where the cue ball came to rest
just like if you moved 2 balls

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
the reason we never played object ball off the table was a foul, because the defining line for off the table was going past the felt. and it was too hard to tell if it did when close. so no one ever played fouls on object balls. and all balls in your pocket by opponent stayed unless a cue ball scratch.

old style rules were more simple to limit arguments which ended up in one person quitting.

and as long as everyone knows the rules it doesnt matter much what they are as they apply both ways. make too many rules or rules on small matters then disagreements start.

That's one of those dumb local rules that go against all standard billiard rules. Kinda like local 8 ball rules that ignore push and double hit rules because because players are ignorant. In Detroit they play object ball off table is not a foul and it always drove me nuts. I don't think very many players ever read a rule book.

On a side note, I was playing on Long Island over the weekend and left a guy trapped pretty good. He placed his cue tip under the QB and lifted it straight up barely moving the QB. I told him that was an illegal stroke and a foul. He said no it's not, I used the tip to make contact. I let him slide but told him that's not a legal stroke

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Question for the rules guys ?

That's one of those dumb local rules that go against all standard billiard rules. Kinda like local 8 ball rules that ignore push and double hit rules because because players are ignorant. In Detroit they play object ball off table is not a foul and it always drove me nuts. I don't think very many players ever read a rule book.

On a side note, I was playing on Long Island over the weekend and left a guy trapped pretty good. He placed his cue tip under the QB and lifted it straight up barely moving the QB. I told him that was an illegal stroke and a foul. He said no it's not, I used the tip to make contact. I let him slide but told him that's not a legal stroke

You must have had the best of it to let that slide. That would have driven me nutz 😁

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

You're just a young guy, when the game started they didn't have no stinking rule books. OB off the table was never a foul anywhere.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I wasn't sure it was a foul with OB off the table either, trying to think if that has come up for me in a match...

On a side note Jim, if your opponent in Long Island barely hit the CB it was a foul anyways right? Since he didnt hit a ball and a rail after?

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Oh, I misread the OB situation. If an OB was forced off the table, that would be considered an "other foul", as LSJohn pointed out. Therefore the opponent gets to keep the ball pocketed, and it is his turn from where the CB lays.

Had ball(s) not been driven off the table, it would not have been a foul.

~Doc

By other, Doc, you would say that a touched ball that went through the cue balls path is "another foul" and any ball made for the opponent stays down? We have been playing a scratch is an object ball off the table and a touched ball through the path of the cue is a foul both bringing all made balls up. I understood the rule exception is when you cause a deliberate foul, i.e., holding the cue ball to the rail, etc.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I wasn't sure it was a foul with OB off the table either, trying to think if that has come up for me in a match...

On a side note Jim, if your opponent in Long Island barely hit the CB it was a foul anyways right? Since he didnt hit a ball and a rail after?

That's when you call out "DO OVER",:lol grab the cue ball and shoot again.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

He got a rail but the only way to do that without hitting the QB twice was to use the tip like he did