prop game

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Normaly Player A spots player B 8/7.
As I was leaving they matched up, Player A picked a house cue for player B and used player B's cue.
The spot is now 9/7.
What say you, who prevailed ? Give your opinion, I'll know tomorrow.
Rod.
P.S. No tricks, just your opinion.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
As I was leaving they matched up, Player A picked a house cue for player B and used player B's cue.
The spot is now 9/7.
Rod.

I can't shoot with a house cue, that's for sure -- I use excessive english and a house cue totally undermines my ability to compensate. Players that cue around the middle of the cue ball, using more angles and speed for position rather than english, are better suited to shooting with a broomstick or house cue or whatever. So I would say depends on player B's style -- if they don't tend to use that much english anyway, why not get an extra ball?

But for me and I think most of us, I would like player A.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
The spot is now 9/7.
Rod.

I think player B has the nuts, any one who would let someone pick a cue from the rack and play against him, has to feel that he's comfortable with the game. And he's going to let him play with his cue...are you kidding me.:D

Dr. Bill

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Most rooms have a few sticks that are real doozies. I would lean to player A, slightly, if he can pick any one of them he wants to...

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
The spot is now 9/7.
Rod.

I would think Player A would have the best of it. If either of them usually plays with a low-deflection shaft, that might change the dynamic. I play with Predator and OB shafts and it would take me several games to quit sprayin' the CB all over the table with a house cue, especially one my opponent picked. I'd need a LOT more than one ball to take B's game.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
The spot is now 9/7.
Rod.

Well if im player A and he's got to play with the cue I pick off the rack, he's not gonna like it! If the game is a toss up at 8/7 I figure to have the best of it at 9/7 with that war club I'm picking for him. Player "A" should prevail IMO.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Talked to player B today, He lost 5 in a row and gave up.
The cue was OK but weighed 21 ounces and much stiffer than his.
He said he couldn't adjust to the difference.
Rod.
P.S. Everyone who liked player A was on target.:)
Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Rod.
Rod.

I'm coming down to Houston looking for player B.:heh Need help in finding him. Of course i'm bringing his cue with me.:lol

Dr. Bill

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Rod.
Rod.
I suppose there's no way to take this small sample and broaden it out to a rule of thumb, such as: using a house cue reduces a player's game by one ball. It would depend upon the condition of the stick, and how badly the guy lost using it...;) Interesting prop "A" came up with though. Sounds like a Cardone move.:cool:

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I suppose there's no way to take this small sample and broaden it out to a rule of thumb, such as: using a house cue reduces a player's game by one ball. It would depend upon the condition of the stick, and how badly the guy lost using it...;) Interesting prop "A" came up with though. Sounds like a Cardone move.:cool:

~Doc

The way I understand it, it would have been a big mistake to offer Eddie Taylor B's position, and the way Bugs play with a different stick almost every time, him either.

Bottom line, the effect of a bad house cue would affect different players a different amount. My guess is that the better the player the more likely he could make the most of a bad stick.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
The way I understand it, it would have been a big mistake to offer Eddie Taylor B's position, and the way Bugs play with a different stick almost every time, him either.

Bottom line, the effect of a bad house cue would affect different players a different amount. My guess is that the better the player the more likely he could make the most of a bad stick.

That's correct, I've seen Eddie and Don Watson amble to the house cue rack, pull one down, look down the shaft, if it's crooked bend it on the table a couple of times and start playing.
Rod.

unoperro

Verified Member
Sounds like player B is a sucker. While player A is tough to match up with.

Am I correct?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
That's correct, I've seen Eddie and Don Watson amble to the house cue rack, pull one down, look down the shaft, if it's crooked bend it on the table a couple of times and start playing.
Rod.
Good point. Everyone used to play "off the wall", and no one thought anything about it. Today, all the equipment --cues especially-- have gotten to such a high caliber that it's hard to remember that time.

I used to marvel at guys like Mosconi, Crane, and other pros who actually carried their own two-piece sticks. And of course if you walked into a pool room carrying one, you were suspected of being a pro or high caliber player.

I started playing seriously in 1959, but I never had a good cue (a Tad) until 1971. Of course in some places it was possible to hide or disguise a house cue that you liked so that it would be available when you came to play...:D

~Doc

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Sounds like player B is a sucker. While player A is tough to match up with.

Am I correct?

No, he usually wins a bit at the 8/7. Player A didn't have his own cue, so they cooked up this game. Player B is an action guy and play's often, he'll get in the ring.:)
Rod.
P.S. There should be more guys like player B in the pool rooms.

unoperro

Verified Member
No, he usually wins a bit at the 8/7. Player A didn't have his own cue, so they cooked up this game. Player B is an action guy and play's often, he'll get in the ring.:)
Rod.
P.S. There should be more guys like player B in the pool rooms.

Glad to hear there are still some gamblers around.

Worst game I ever made just trying to get a guy to play, was 10/6 but I had to play with shaft of my jump cue. Just the shaft:eek:

Try it some time. It is brutal!

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Glad to hear there are still some gamblers around.

Worst game I ever made just trying to get a guy to play, was 10/6 but I had to play with shaft of my jump cue. Just the shaft:eek:

Try it some time. It is brutal!

One of RA's props, he'd play you even and just use his shaft. Of course he held a roll of dimes in his right hand at the butt of the shaft to give the shaft some weight. He played pretty good too.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I think player B has the nuts, any one who would let someone pick a cue from the rack and play against him, has to feel that he's comfortable with the game. And he's going to let him play with his cue...are you kidding me.:D

Dr. Bill

Heres a house cue story Bill I think you will like. When I was playing my best 10 to 12 years ago Miami Randy wouldn't take the 7 from me however he came up with a game for us. I give him the 8 and he picks the house cue I have to use. I said what the hell. We play $ 40 a game and I beat him out of $ 200 and he paid off and left. The next day I come in and he says "are you ready" and I say sure. He walks around the room looking at the house cues on the walls and he pulls out one where the butt has been broken in half and there were splinters coming off it LOL ( I knew he had planted that cue and Im sure he is the one that broke it before I got there). You had to see this thing. I got some sand paper out just to get rid of the splinters. I ended up beating him for another $ 200 and he slammed the money on the table and walked out... I can still picture him breaking that cue before I got there and I still laugh about it today...
P.S. I know you know Randy well Billy so I know you ill really get a kick out of it:D

unoperro

Verified Member
One of RA's props, he'd play you even and just use his shaft. Of course he held a roll of dimes in his right hand at the butt of the shaft to give the shaft some weight. He played pretty good too.

Interezting about the roll of dimes, no weight was a problem.
The phenolic tip was no treat either.