PPV - May 26-29th EFREN!! - Buffalos Professional One Pocket $2000 Entry $6000 Added

keoneyo

Verified Member
I'll guess that the guys who plunked down $10,500 for Alex "The Lion (now the lion cub)" Pagulayan in the calcutta are not real happy.

Looks like Smith at $4200 and Chohan at $5000 were the best buys.

But they do like to wager in N.O. There's a nightly calcutta on what time the Airline Highway 7:00 bus will go by the poolroom every evening.;)

~Doc

In the west we have no calcuttas. Can you explain to me, Doc, how payment is made. How much of it does the player get?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
In the west we have no calcuttas. Can you explain to me, Doc, how payment is made. How much of it does the player get?
We used to have them up in Eureka, Calif., but I guess they never caught on down south. At some point before the tournament chart is posted, the calcutta auction commences. Each player is announced in turn, and anyone can bid on him. The highest bidder wins. The bidder may be the player himself, another person, or any combination of people. For example it's likely that several guys went in as a syndicate for some of the more expensive bids at Buffalos.

It's also pre-decided how many places the calcutta will pay. In the case of the Buffalos event, there are four places. Percentages of the take are also assigned, e.g. 50, 25, 15, 10. So whichever guys win one of the first four places in the tournament, that guy wins whatever percentage of the calcutta money is assigned to that place.

Once in awhile a guy will not chip in any money on himself. So even if his finish would qualify him for certain calcutta money, the guy(s) who bought him don't necessarily have to give him anything. But I expect that they usually do.

On the other hand if a person ends up buying a player all by himself, before the tournament starts the player can then come up and say that he's buying in for half (or whatever) of himself, and the buyer has to accept his percentage money. These are "unwritten rules", but usually adhered to.

I'm sure LSJohn or one of the guys can chip in here to add other points. Calcuttas can be a real science. Fireman Casey K. is a particularly good calcutta participant. So is BRLongArm. But there are quite a few calcutta experts in the Southeast-- probably because the calcutta pools can oftentimes be much larger than are the tourney prize pools!.:cool:

~Doc

keoneyo

Verified Member
My head is spinning. T Rex just shredded the Shredder good.
5 to 1. He just ran so many outs it was incredible. Love to see him match up with Effie.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
PPV - May 26-29th EFREN!! - Buffalos Professional One Pocket $2000 Entry $6000 Added

My head is spinning. T Rex just shredded the Shredder good.

5 to 1. He just ran so many outs it was incredible. Love to see him match up with Effie.

Man is he playing like a beast!!!!

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
We used to have them up in Eureka, Calif., but I guess they never caught on down south. At some point before the tournament chart is posted, the calcutta auction commences. Each player is announced in turn, and anyone can bid on him. The highest bidder wins. The bidder may be the player himself, another person, or any combination of people. For example it's likely that several guys went in as a syndicate for some of the more expensive bids at Buffalos.

It's also pre-decided how many places the calcutta will pay. In the case of the Buffalos event, there are four places. Percentages of the take are also assigned, e.g. 50, 25, 15, 10. So whichever guys win one of the first four places in the tournament, that guy wins whatever percentage of the calcutta money is assigned to that place.

Once in awhile a guy will not chip in any money on himself. So even if his finish would qualify him for certain calcutta money, the guy(s) who bought him don't necessarily have to give him anything. But I expect that they usually do.

On the other hand if a person ends up buying a player all by himself, before the tournament starts the player can then come up and say that he's buying in for half (or whatever) of himself, and the buyer has to accept his percentage money. These are "unwritten rules", but usually adhered to.

I'm sure LSJohn or one of the guys can chip in here to add other points. Calcuttas can be a real science. Fireman Casey K. is a particularly good calcutta participant. So is BRLongArm. But there are quite a few calcutta experts in the Southeast-- probably because the calcutta pools can oftentimes be much larger than are the tourney prize pools!.:cool:

~Doc

You covered it, Doc, except for a couple of points. Every calcutta I've seen has made it the obligation of a player's buyer to let the player buy up to 50%. Some calcutta operators rake the pot just as in a poker game.

I really like calcuttas if there is no rake -- like at Bogies and Buffalos. People are enitled to be compensated for the services they perform, but my experience is that once he paw is in the honey pot, it reaches a little deeper than I can see justified for the minimal time, effort and risk involved.

Terry Hanna

Verified Member
From
Las Vegas Nevada

Stream will resume at Noon central with the semi final.

Down to the final 3 players Efren Reyes vs Danny Smith @ noon central

Tony Chohan is waiting in the Hotseat for the winner, finals are true double elimination.

Get your PPV pass and sweat the action @ www.poolactiontv.com

13323840_10206157604449103_772505679_o.jpg

BUFFALOS_BRACKET_Fina.jpg

Started with 16 killers wow what a great field
13288828_257320974626983_1018897028_n.jpg

jj-s-gif.gif

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
really enjoyed it so far, looking forward to the final day. Chohan has really been impressive.
The one thing I don't like about PPV is if your schedule doesn't fit their schedule your going to miss some matches. Today I'll be playing during most of the first match. Too bad there isn't some way to view paid for matches at a later date.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Efren up 2 to Zip. Fantastic movement keeping Smith a little tilted.
Efren looks rested. If he can keep it up he can be in the finals.

Great commentary by Dr Bill and Scott

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
You covered it, Doc, except for a couple of points. Every calcutta I've seen has made it the obligation of a player's buyer to let the player buy up to 50%. Some calcutta operators rake the pot just as in a poker game.

I really like calcuttas if there is no rake -- like at Bogies and Buffalos. People are enitled to be compensated for the services they perform, but my experience is that once he paw is in the honey pot, it reaches a little deeper than I can see justified for the minimal time, effort and risk involved.
I agree with you 100% about no rake. I've seen some instances though, especially in a large event, where it's worthwhile to pay a good auctioneer to call the calcutta. A good caller can really add to the pot!

The guy they used to use in Mobile at the barbox marathons was excellent. Can't think of his name. He may have been from AR. I'm sure that guy's prowess and cajoling added another 30% to the calcutta pool!

~Doc

keoneyo

Verified Member
After 4 games its Efren 3 Smith 1.
He is 62 years old folks.
Damn great play.
Thanks Truck.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Efrens making some bad choices and now Smith is on the hill.
4 to 3 Smith

keoneyo

Verified Member
Efren out.
Hearts are broken.
Efren made some bad choices in the later games.
Danny solid

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
gotta give kudos to danny
he started cold and efren seemed well in command
but he kept fighting found his confidence and prevailed in the end

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Congrats to Danny for getting into the finals with Chohan! If T-Rex wins, unless I'm misreading the chart, the four paid finishers (Chohan, Smith, Reyes and Frost) will respectively get --rounded up to even numbers-- $40K, $28K, $19K, and $11K, depending upon how their calcutta monies are cut up. Not bad for a few day's work!

And I would be surprised if there weren't high dollar action at Buff's for weeks to come. The sharks are circling...:cool:

~Doc

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Congrats to Tony Chohan for taking on and defeating all comers. Apparently this is his first big tournament win and it is well deserved. He beat Alex, Scott Frost, and Danny twice. Danny was up four three in the first set and Tony came back to win 5-4. Since Tony was still on the winner side that was enough to get the cheese. Awesome tournament.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
No question... Tony is an awesome shot maker and very tough to beat. He deserves this win.. No doubt. Congratulations Tony.

Danny made a really poor decision in game 8 with that circus shot bank that opened up that traffic jam of balls on Chohans side rail. Leading 4/3 in games and 4/0 in the ball count and on the hill you couldn't have put a 44 magnum to Billy Incardona's head and made him shoot that shot... Simply put, that shot cost him the match and perhaps the tournament, never know if he would have won the next match, but he sure would have had the momentum...

IMO Danny Smith could be right there at the top, and will be if he learns to play the score and lays off the circus shots...

Ps. I know about circus stunt shots, I like shooting them too... I just don't like the results most of the time.

Terry Hanna

Verified Member
From
Las Vegas Nevada
Congrats to Tony Chohan he is Buffalo's billiards champion he played a fantastic final beating Danny Smith in a hill hill thriller.

And congrats to Danny he played great to make it to the finals he had to beat Efren twice to do it :D

tony chohan buffalos one pocket champ.jpg

Last edited: