Pool’s biggest upset

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I feel like we are walking with a giant. Simply awesome, Keith!
I agree -- I remember reading those stories, going back to 1970 -- and marveling.

BTW, Larry Lisciotti was from New England (Conn), and he could flat out play back in the 70's, and straight pool might have been his best game. I am surprised he would get singled out as an "upset " tournament winner.

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
I agree -- I remember reading those stories, going back to 1970 -- and marveling.

BTW, Larry Lisciotti was from New England (Conn), and he could flat out play back in the 70's, and straight pool might have been his best game. I am surprised he would get singled out as an "upset " tournament winner.
Any 14-1 tourney that Larry Liscotti played in and won wasn’t an upset! He was a top notch player and played all games at world class!
He wasn’t the best at any game but it didn’t take long to call row!

the article I posted on pools biggest upset was not that big of an upset! I won the lag for first break against both Ronnie and Lassiter in 9 ball race to 11 therefore I was the favorite not the underdog. I started off with four racks against Lassiter and five racks against Ronnie on the final match. That was my every day game that’s why I won the 9 ball division!

If myself and Lassiter played 10 times in long sessions at one hole I would have beat him every time! I could give him 9 to 8 and hang with him. I couldn’t hang with him in long sessions of 9 ball or 14-1 but one hole is the great equalizer!

I could’ve played Ronnie long sessions of 9 ball or 14-1 and had a decent chance to win but couldn’t hang playing one hole in a long session but nobody else could either!

Jimmy Fusco won the one pocket division one year and I beat him at Marina billiards for 800 at 50 a game before Johnston City, he gave me 9 to 8 on his break and I could give him 9 to 8 full time! Played the last four games even and won all four!

Steve Cook won the all round in Vegas earlier in 1970 and I felt like I could handle him at 9 ball or one hole. Liscotti beat him in Johnston city in 1970 I saw it, Hippy Jimmy beat him at 9 ball also in Johnston City. I was referred to as the biggest pool upset because of my age not how well I played! I had a better all around game than hippy Jimmy and Liscotti and Cook were on my hit list if I’d had any money lol.
Any of the top 20 all around players had a chance to win an all around like I won but I had two of the nastiest players on the planet so it wasn’t a cakewalk!

if I would have played that all around 10 more times I would have won another one I could compete with both those guys! I wasn’t better than either one but I could hang with them in the all around because I did and it was a challenge and it was fun lol.

most of the all around winners of the 60’s and early 70’s I could handle them at one hole like Jimmy Marino, Boston Shorty etc.

I blew Greg Steven’s away playing one hole after Johnston City Tall Jeff staked him! Ask Jeff he’s still with us today, I could give Greg the same as Jersey Red did 9-8 and beat him though I never did. All us around winners had our strengths mine was one hole but my nine ball was way up there when I was playing good plus my 14-1 game was formidable with 125 an out capability everyday!

just wanted to clear the air about that upset stuff it was because I was 18 but stupid me I’d dance with anybody! Bahahahaha , by the way Buddy hall didn’t bust me in Johnston City he quit after four games even one hole for 50 a game! I broke even with him in Pasadena tx a couple months after Johnston city after 3 hrs or so of play. He’s still with us ask him. So I played well enough to be in an all around with a punchers chance to win.

None of the stories written about me are all true, there’s mistakes on scores and who I played on every story but the stories are interesting but the authors didn’t get them right.

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
Any 14-1 tourney that Larry Liscotti played in and won wasn’t an upset! He was a top notch player and played all games at world class!
He wasn’t the best at any game but it didn’t take long to call row!

the article I posted on pools biggest upset was not that big of an upset! I won the lag for first break against both Ronnie and Lassiter in 9 ball race to 11 therefore I was the favorite not the underdog. I started off with four racks against Lassiter and five racks against Ronnie on the final match. That was my every day game that’s why I won the 9 ball division!

If myself and Lassiter played 10 times in long sessions at one hole I would have beat him every time! I could give him 9 to 8 and hang with him. I couldn’t hang with him in long sessions of 9 ball or 14-1 but one hole is the great equalizer!

I could’ve played Ronnie long sessions of 9 ball or 14-1 and had a decent chance to win but couldn’t hang playing one hole in a long session but nobody else could either!

Jimmy Fusco won the one pocket division one year and I beat him at Marina billiards for 800 at 50 a game before Johnston City, he gave me 9 to 8 on his break and I could give him 9 to 8 full time! Played the last four games even and won all four!

Steve Cook won the all round in Vegas earlier in 1970 and I felt like I could handle him at 9 ball or one hole. Liscotti beat him in Johnston city in 1970 I saw it, Hippy Jimmy beat him at 9 ball also in Johnston City. I was referred to as the biggest pool upset because of my age not how well I played! I had a better all around game than hippy Jimmy and Liscotti and Cook were on my hit list if I’d had any money lol.
Any of the top 20 all around players had a chance to win an all around like I won but I had two of the nastiest players on the planet so it wasn’t a cakewalk!

if I would have played that all around 10 more times I would have won another one I could compete with both those guys! I wasn’t better than either one but I could hang with them in the all around because I did and it was a challenge and it was fun lol.

most of the all around winners of the 60’s and early 70’s I could handle them at one hole like Jimmy Marino, Boston Shorty etc.

I blew Greg Steven’s away playing one hole after Johnston City Tall Jeff staked him! Ask Jeff he’s still with us today, I could give Greg the same as Jersey Red did 9-8 and beat him though I never did. All us around winners had our strengths mine was one hole but my nine ball was way up there when I was playing good plus my 14-1 game was formidable with 125 an out capability everyday!

just wanted to clear the air about that upset stuff it was because I was 18 but stupid me I’d dance with anybody! Bahahahaha , by the way Buddy hall didn’t bust me in Johnston City he quit after four games even one hole for 50 a game! I broke even with him in Pasadena tx a couple months after Johnston city after 3 hrs or so of play. He’s still with us ask him. So I played well enough to be in an all around with a punchers chance to win.

None of the stories written about me are all true, there’s mistakes on scores and who I played on every story but the stories are interesting but the authors didn’t get them right.
I broke even with Buddy playing 9 ball in Pasadena