Paul has passed

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Just got unofficial word that Jew Paul Brusloff (sp) has passed. Mike Sigel texted Billy Incardona with the news and Billy called me. Billy is recovering from bunion surgery and is not near a computer at the moment.

Beard

Rest in peace, Paul (if he ever could, because it seemed like Paul was always antsy and never at peace)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
R.I.P PAUL
my condolences to your family
p.s
if alive he didnt want to be in the action HOF
his wishes should be honored for ever
jmho

Last edited:

JAM

Verified Member
I am so very sorry to read this news. I hope those who loved Paul are comforted in the coming days. May he rest in peace.

JAM

Verified Member
I have been trying to locate a photo of Paul, but I guess he really did like to fly under the radar, because I cannot locate one.

I did find these words from the great Grady Mathews on this forum about Paul:

Paul made his money from a Corningware type product that was brilliant in concept. It sold dirt cheap but was quality material. Salesmen, including "Bucktooth" and Bernie Schwartz (at one time maybe the best 9 ball player in the world) got rich. It was not unusual for one man to sell an entire truckload in one day.

Paul was staking me to play Bugs one day for $1,000 a game, when he remarked, "By the way, Grady, you keep everything you win."

A "Rack" habitue was sleeping on a couch by the water fountain: Paul said, "He has the room by the pool."

What Paul liked most to do in gambling matches is: come out a few games behind but win all the money.One day he's doing just that: betting $300 a game in the center and $8,000 a game on the side. BUT, his hapless opponent was running out of dough. Nonplussed, Paul "accidentally" dropped a couple of thousand on the floor so the guy could keep playing.

Paul's lastwife was a hatcheck girl at a posh restaurant. She wouldn't have anything to do with our hero, despite his best efforts and there was the age difference. She came to work one day and found a brand new corvette with a big red ribbon on it in her name.

"Cornbread" knew Paul best. He often accurately predicted when Paul was going to go off, and on these occasions, he usually lost 50 or a 100 thousand dollars.

Paul would pitch coins, make proposition bets with you. play you, in cases of guys like me, stake me on occasion. He had me on a $2,000 a game minimum. That's the least I could play for and people wonder why I like to bet.

Anytime Paul came into the Rack, something always happened. He is/was one of a kind and it's been my pleasure tp know him ,lo, these many years.

JAM

Verified Member
Mention of Paul by Billiards Digest journalist George Fels:

I learned that it was a pool player for much higher stakes, Paul Brusslov of Detroit, who first put Pots into the pots business. Brusslov, whose own playing nickname, Jew Paul, still ranks as one of the most tasteless in cue-games history, made a white-collar living selling kitchenware when he wasn’t betting thousands in Detroit’s notorious Rack & Cue. Unlike his ward, Brusslov disdained 9-ball, much preferring golf or one-pocket on a snooker table; he took on the fabled Cornbread Red (Billy Joe Burge) at that many times, not infrequently to his sorrow.

Source: "Pots" by George Fels [Retrieved 16 November 2013]

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
You know I have to have a photo Jammy! Here is a pic of Paul and I taken from my "Encyclopedia" of Pool Hustlers (the book also contains many stories about Paul). He was one of a kind.

Beard

PS to Jam, thanks for the wonderful birthday message!

Attachments

• jew paul &me (600 x 552).jpg
    jew paul &me (600 x 552).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I am very to sorry to hear this. I did get to talk to Paul a bit last year, working on the idea of him being a candidate for our Lifetime Pool in Action honor, so I will be going through what I have...

frmn

Verified Member
Ronny Wiseman told me he and Paul were pitching coins (for a good stake) outside in the dead of winter 10 degrees. it was an even match except Paul made Ronny go get the coins after each throw while. Paul would wait patiently, warming his hands in his pockets.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Paul and I were very friendly, I took many of rides with him in his Cadillac sedan as he told me many stories about his life in pool and in business. Paul was the master mind behind marketing ovenware door to door, Bernie Schwartz was his main man they made millions together.

Paul was a great person and gambler and was very, very well liked and respected in the pool world in Detroit, he very seldom traveled on the road playing pool. He was a great man to play if you could match a game with him because you could win much more than you could lose. I once saw Paul play "Country" Country was a very smart black player from NY who very seldom played but when he did every one wanted to bet on him because of his rep.. Paul and Country played even one pocket on the 5x10 that was housed at "The Rack" in Detroit, every one wanted to bet on Country and Paul obliged them all. Kilroy ( a very well liked pool hustler, and a fun guy) had a tablet and marked down all the bets and who they belonged to, and after every game it looked like the line for the "Super Bowl" as people would come up in line to usually collect. Paul lost about $500,000 that night. I guess you wonder how he had that much cash on hand, he didn't, but he went out a couple of times and came back with over $100,000 twice during the set. After he lost that money he went on the wire for the other $200,000 plus and lost that. It took him about a week to pay the balance but eventually did.

Paul was clearly a "one of a kind" and will never be forgotten, and i'll always remember our many rides together where he would talk to me about life and business. I learned a great deal from Paul that I benefitted from through my life, yes he was one of my many mentors.

Bill Incardona

JAM

Verified Member
Paul and I were very friendly, I took many of rides with him in his Cadillac sedan as he told me many stories about his life in pool and in business. Paul was the master mind behind marketing ovenware door to door, Bernie Schwartz was his main man they made millions together.

Paul was a great person and gambler and was very, very well liked and respected in the pool world in Detroit, he very seldom traveled on the road playing pool. He was a great man to play if you could match a game with him because you could win much more than you could lose. I once saw Paul play "Country" Country was a very smart black player from NY who very seldom played but when he did every one wanted to bet on him because of his rep.. Paul and Country played even one pocket on the 5x10 that was housed at "The Rack" in Detroit, every one wanted to bet on Country and Paul obliged them all. Kilroy ( a very well liked pool hustler, and a fun guy) had a tablet and marked down all the bets and who they belonged to, and after every game it looked like the line for the "Super Bowl" as people would come up in line to usually collect. Paul lost about $500,000 that night. I guess you wonder how he had that much cash on hand, he didn't, but he went out a couple of times and came back with over $100,000 twice during the set. After he lost that money he went on the wire for the other $200,000 plus and lost that. It took him about a week to pay the balance but eventually did.

Paul was clearly a "one of a kind" and will never be forgotten, and i'll always remember our many rides together where he would talk to me about life and business. I learned a great deal from Paul that I benefitted from through my life, yes he was one of my many mentors.

Bill Incardona

That was a very sweet tribute to your friend. Sorry for your loss.

Ken_4fun

Verified Member

Bill Incardona

I have read however, that if did win at the Rack, you were taxed severely.

I am not trying to speak ILL of the dead, but I got the feeling the Paul was part of that.

If that is true, my respect for him is dimenished considerably.

Ken

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI

I am not trying to speak ILL of the dead, but I got the feeling the Paul was part of that.

Ken

Your feeling is wrong.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Ken

Everything you wrote is 100% wrong.

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Ken
Don't know where you got that from but that's not true
A man named Gil owned the rack and he charged the winner a tax, usually about 10% of their winnings provided if he thought he could get away with it. Of course not every one was treated the same, however, Gil squeezed as much as he felt was right. Lol.

Matter of fact some people didn't even get taxed, like Al Sherman, Freddy Salem, and of course Cornbread.lol.

Bill Incardona

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Just got unofficial word that Jew Paul Brusloff (sp) has passed. Mike Sigel texted Billy Incardona with the news and Billy called me. Billy is recovering from bunion surgery and is not near a computer at the moment.

Beard

Rest in peace, Paul (if he ever could, because it seemed like Paul was always antsy and never at peace)

The rumor around some poolrooms is that Paul is not dead.

Dennis

JAM

Verified Member
The rumor around some poolrooms is that Paul is not dead.

Dennis

I have been searching for an obit online, and I can't find one. I had thought maybe I did not have the correct spelling of his name.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
I called last night and left a message with Bruce Schwartz (Bernies son) to find out what he knows.

Waiting to hear from him.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
This is from the All-Zaniness site. 12squared played at the Oak Park Cushion & Cue and at the Rack as a young man and knew Paul and his son well.

Dennis

12squared said:
"Jew Paul" is NOT Dead!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just spoke w/Paul's son and he confirmed that "Jew Paul" is not dead. This may be why nobody could find his obituary.

Dave

There were many clues but they were all wrong, apparently:).

paul is dead.jpg

Last edited: