Patcheye playing in Louisville......

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
Patcheye has been seen playing some mighty good one pocket in Louisville.

He plays real good for a 82 year old one eyed man.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member

He is very interesting to talk to also. I have had the pleasure several times.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Jaffar Basheer

Jaffar Basheer

I knew Patch before he had the above name. We go all the way back to "Henry." Very tuff bird to play with. Wasnt afraid of the 5 x 10s in Bensingers either. Tell ole' Henry that the Beard say hello.

Beard

Yes, I know the last name also.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Henry and I also go back a long time. I have played him quite a few times, and yes he is a tough bird fitting very nicely with the Chicago style of one pocket. You can tell him I also said hi.

Billy I.

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
Patcheye's Szamboti cue was in town but was later sold recently. It had seen a many one pocket games.

LOL

Ken

WillieNilly

Verified Member
From
N.E Pennsylvania
Its been a few months since he moved down south to be with his sister. He hung out at Pete fuscos room in PA everyday for several years . Hes a good guy, very intelligent and still a very good player.
I learned alot of the little things about 1pocket and straight pool from him, he has an reply to any situation/trap on a pool table.
Jaffar ( i always called him by his muslim name out of respect) is one of the best litnus tests a aspiring one pocket player can take. Altho he only plays 1/2 his top speed he knows all the moves and the correct shot choice, he will play cheap , he will give you weight if your a b player, and you will learn somthing everytime you play him.
I never minded "donating " to him at 10/7 because i did learn.

When he looks over the top of his sunglasses at the table, pushes those shades back up and sets up on a ball,,,,,,slow ...methodical.. one stroke (no practice strokes), the sound of the balls as he hits them sounds like no other,,,,almost imperceptable address of the tip to the cueball...a click of cueball and object ball making contact...then a ball hitting the pocket liner in an almost offensive noise compared to the audible beauty of his stroke.
Tell him the guys at fuscos miss him and wish him the best , many of us didnt get to say good bye to him.:(
and please look out for him down there, you guys inherited a great pool treasure.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
for those that knew him
maybe you can tell us his history and if there was a before /after patch eye
what was he like before and after and how did it happen

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
In case any of you 'Patch' fans missed it, I did interview him a few years back at Derby City, and the interview can be found here:
http://www.onepocket.org/PatchEyeInterview.htm

I would say he is the most interesting player/person that I have interviewed...

steve
that was a great read
he is quite a man
if you didnt start your idea of interviewing great players to preserve history we would not have the chance to get to know the legends of pool in their own words

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
steve
that was a great read
he is quite a man
if you didnt start your idea of interviewing great players to preserve history we would not have the chance to get to know the legends of pool in their own words

Patch Eye has always been a complete gentleman every time that I have seen or talked with him. I haven't watched him play in years, but I have seen him at the DCC tournament a few times and every time I see him I say to myself ..."If ever a man deserved respect it's this man" I can honestly say that through the 50 plus years that I have been around pool and pool players Jameer sits on the top rung in the ladder of class.

I read the complete interview and was very impressed with the way he answered your questions Steve. And what a great mind he has, he's a very intelligent man with much sagacity.

Like Artie once said, we should be nominating the older players for the One Pocket Hall Of Fame because when their gone AND FORGOTTEN there will never be anything left to remember how great they once were.:(

Jameer imo should be on the ballot for the next induction.

Billy I.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Tell him hello from John B.,If you would.Yes He Is a very classy fellow and liked by whoever has met him.I played him In Lex,Ky back In the mid 80's.
We played onepocket and banks.He didn't like the banks about the same as I didn't like the onepocket.We broke even,but not really cause I learned a ton.
Yep the mans a class act for sure.Hope he is doing well.John B.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Jaffar Basheer

Jaffar Basheer

Patch Eye has always been a complete gentleman every time that I have seen or talked with him. I haven't watched him play in years, but I have seen him at the DCC tournament a few times and every time I see him I say to myself ..."If ever a man deserved respect it's this man" I can honestly say that through the 50 plus years that I have been around pool and pool players Jameer sits on the top rung in the ladder of class.

I read the complete interview and was very impressed with the way he answered your questions Steve. And what a great mind he has, he's a very intelligent man with much sagacity.

Like Artie once said, we should be nominating the older players for the One Pocket Hall Of Fame because when their gone AND FORGOTTEN there will never be anything left to remember how great they once were.:(

Jameer imo should be on the ballot for the next induction.

Billy I.

Jaffar Billy. Too much pain management for you. Henry Chapman changed his name to Jaffar Basheer. I always just called him Patch. I always liked and respected him. Nominating him for the 1pkt HOF should be an automatic. He bet his own money, played on all tables, and didnt bar too many.

Beard

Sam Waltz

Bad luck

Bad luck

I was born too late on this timeline of existence. It always seems as the best have come before me and the present...well, they just don't have the same aura. I hope that I'm still hitting the balls at 82 and that maybe...just maybe some young whippersnapper will be logged onto this forum reading a thread about yours truly and longing to have known me as I am doing right now. Our lives can only be valued by the respect we are given by our peers...I can see that Patch is a very wealthy man in that respect. :cool:

I read that wonderful article and though many wise things were said I will carry this one with me from here on out because I've been sayin' this to people my whole life, but they all say I'm a dumbass for believing in it...

"If you don’t play your caliber, you will lose. And even if you play your caliber, if that guy plays over his, you could lose. But if the other guy has a legitimate reasonable chance to win it is better because then you’ve accomplished something. If he has no chance to win at all, even though you’ve collected money, what have you accomplished? Not a thing."

I would love to sit and talk with this man for about a year straight. I'd become more than I am from it I'm sure. Yeah, I'll never be a great gambler 'cause of it, but I'll never have a problem lookin' in the mirror either.

Last edited:

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
patch

patch

I understand he was a Lieutenant in the army many years ago. He still smokes and keeps a cigarette behind his ear while playing now, since bank shot is a non smoking pool hall. I watched him play several shots the other night as i was playing on the table next to him. He plays solid for an older man at 82.

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
patch

patch

The first time i ever seen patcheye play was back in 1973, the U.S. Open was held in Louisville that year. Mizerak, Ray Martin, and Luther Lassiter , all the top pros were there. I played wimpy lassiter before the tournament to warm him up a bit, he ran 8 racks of 9-ball on me really fast. I had never seen that many racks ran before. I watched him run 125 and out in a straight pool match before that.
Jim

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The first time i ever seen patcheye play was back in 1973, the U.S. Open was held in Louisville that year. Mizerak, Ray Martin, and Luther Lassiter , all the top pros were there. I played wimpy lassiter before the tournament to warm him up a bit, he ran 8 racks of 9-ball on me really fast. I had never seen that many racks ran before. I watched him run 125 and out in a straight pool match before that.
Jim

i guess YOU didnt get very warmed up (jk):)
its amazing to me to watch people that great show their mastery

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Patch Eye

Patch Eye

I have nominated Patch Eye for the banks HOF along with Bob Bolles. Both would play with you when you were learning. It was him, the chinaman, and John with a stub for one thumb at the Parkmoor bowl every night until dawn.. They all tortured me until learning something. This was back in 64 until the place burned down. In those days, you played all games.
1966 was my first road trip and it was with Eric and Truman. The three of us hitting every little town and room in Kentucky ending in Bowling Green at Johnny Edwards place. Eric played some guy named "weak eyes". We slept, the three of us, in my Corvair that night, drunk and broke. Yee haw.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Hey Big Jim, I'm going to be in Nashville Sun thru Wed. Is Patch Eye still in Louisville? I may drive up there for some action. I always have J.O.B. and Murffreesboro. Maybe Manchester.

WillieNilly

Verified Member
From
N.E Pennsylvania
update:
I was surprised to see him back here at fuscos last night.
I asked him if he planed on staying or what, he said he doesnt know what hes going to do.
I said he is welcome wherever he goes.