2022 1p rules A.png2022 1p rules B.png

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
interesting
both players cannot have a negative score
minus 5 is loss of game
cue ball or object ball off the table is a foul and the object counts next player get ball in hand in the kitchen
base of ball only
ball on break is re rack EVEN IF YOU SCRATCH !!!!!!!!!!!!

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
There are no other options regardless of what else happens on the break shot.

This ^^^ is the weirdest part in my opinion. The rest of it seems fine. The solution for jumping balls off the table seems logical. I don't like taking that strategy away, but I guess there are reasons for it.
I've always preferred base of ball, and counting a ball on the break.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
There are no other options regardless of what else happens on the break shot.

This ^^^ is the weirdest part in my opinion. The rest of it seems fine. The solution for jumping balls off the table seems logical. I don't like taking that strategy away, but I guess there are reasons for it.
I've always preferred base of ball, and counting a ball on the break.
to me if you make a ball and scratch then the normal rules should appy
i think full ball gets rid of nitty arguments
it is or is not on the line
jmho

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I confess to not understanding why someone like this always feels they must have their own special rules, when a long established reputable organization already has in place "official rules" to play the game by. Seems to me this does nothing but cause confusion and dilute the "official rules", and to what end?

I particularly don't think ignoring a scratch on a break where a ball is pocketed in the breakers hole is very well thought out. I imagine they just flipped a coin to decide that one, as there is no logic there. i also don't like the disrespect of tradition in the elimination of the end game strategy of jumping a ball off the table to extend the game, but what the hell, the whole world is becoming wussy.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I do not like ball on break not counting but if it does not than this is the rule I would go with, I do nto care for the jump off table rule but it does not super offend me. I kinda of like the intentional foul rules as it does speed it all up. Either way every one plays by the same rules so makes very little difference what I think

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I've probably said here previously that I think the ball-on-the-break rule should be that the breaking player gets one shot and sits down. Whatever happens on that shot, ordinary rules are applied -- except that his one shot is over. Make a ball, you keep it. Scratch, you pay. Either way, opponent's inning begins. I think rerack slows things down unnecessarily. I saw SVB make at least 3 in a row, and I think it was 4.

Last edited:

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I played Tuesday for the first time in several months. Rerack rules. My opponent I play with regularly made a ball on the break in his pocket twice in a row several times, made one in my hole once and made one in his side pocket twice. Although he was having a off day breaking, the two times he pocketed balls in the side pocket was crazy. We both had never seen that before.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
These are the rules from Derby. It's spreading, especially the jump the ball off the table and the "no negative scores".

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I was asked by Steve to review these flyer rules for last year's tournament. I felt they were Ok, I mean tournaments need power points, so the players know the basics and what is required of them. I mean the TD will always have their specific rules of their own.

I do like the intentional foul rule, the -1-scoring rule, and the -5 score is a loss. Not a fan of the break rule, and the no jump rule.

During this time last year we were still in the process of working on the official rules. I believe this tournament and DCC influenced Steve to adjust the break rule and his jump off the table rule. I was not in agreement with either adjustment.

The break that we have is now like Pat's, a ball scored on the break is a re-rack no matter what. Interestingly things have since changed for now DCC has switched up to having a ball made on the break accompanied with a scratch is BIH-BTL for the opponent.

The jump off the table, Steve and I were working on allowing a virtual jump on the game winning ball only, providing there is a clear path to the hung ball. I went further, as long as the cb has a clear path but is situated as such that it is deemed impossible to follow it in. Such as; the cb on the foot rail and the hung ball laying up against the jaw of the foot rail. You can see it but it is deemed that it cannot be followed in, therefore allowing a virtual jump.
****I do not like that a game can be won just by hanging the game winning ball. I believe the opponent should be able to get a virtual jump as in the above scenario, and make the opponent actually score the game winning ball.

I believe between Pat Fleming, Greg Sullivan, they wanted to keep it simple, so in our official rules the game winning ball virtual was dropped.
This is my speculation, but Steve told me he was dropping it because can you imagine explaining the virtual jump to players.

The -1 scoring system. I offered up a much simple read, but it did not make on to the International OP flyer.
**** If a player has a negative score and their opponent acquires a -1 negative score, then that cancels out a -1 negative score from each player.

I believe the International OP tournament is sponsored by WPA. Correct me if I am wrong. But I think we are seeing the hand writing on the wall with this sponsorship combined with DCC going WPA, that now in the near future WPA will be adopting OP and coming out with their own rules. Then expect those rules to continually change over a few years, as they have done with the other games they govern over. Adjustments will be made to fit their tournaments needs, which is more players playing in less available time.
Whitey

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
These are the rules from Derby. It's spreading, especially the jump the ball off the table and the "no negative scores".
I like the no jump off table, I wont be allowing it on my home table that's for sure! I think the no negative score is great for tourney play, maybe not so much on action matches.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
added this to calendar, dont know how I missed it.

PM me here if anyone sees any others that are missing from our event calendar, thanks!