Owen-Nevel 2008

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Larry had posted a layout from Owen/Nevel recently. This may be a different match from 8 years ago. Nevel broke, then they traded a few safeties. Gabe was left with this layout, with the balls in pretty good position on Nevel's side (where all the balls are). There are lots of potential shots here. What do you suppose Gabe shot; and what would YOU do? ~Doc

owen-nevel 1.jpg

owen-nevel 2.jpg

1pwannabe

Verified Member
I like this kind of shot here, if it lays right. It looks promising to shoot it anyway. If not then I bank the 1 over stunning through it and following behind the 8, or under it.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I'm shooting the 7/6 combo and drawing into the 9 ball and sticking close to where the 9 was...
I'm cutting the 7 into the 6 in such a way as to cross the 8 to my side with the 6 ball. The 8 will clear to my side and the 7 will also carom off the 6 towards my pocket and the 6 should clear up table or bank into the bottom of the stack...

This could leave a bank on the 2 ball, but with balls now over by my pocket he will my than likely not attempt it, he's will more likely be concerned with the newly positioned balls by my pocket...

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I'm shooting the 7/6 combo and drawing into the 9 ball and sticking close to where the 9 was...
I'm cutting the 7 into the 6 in such a way as to cross the 8 to my side with the 6 ball. The 8 will clear to my side and the 7 will also carom off the 6 towards my pocket and the 6 should clear up table or bank into the bottom of the stack...

This could leave a bank on the 2 ball, but with balls now over by my pocket he will my than likely not attempt it, he's will more likely be concerned with the newly positioned balls by my pocket...

DITTO....:heh

Dr. Bill

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada

It's a great shot but has a lot of moving parts. It's a little early to bet the farm? You wreck on the back of the 8 or kick the cueball out and your giving up 4 balls or more.

Nick

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
As it turned out, Gabe shot the 7-6 combo into the 8 ball, similar to what Jeff suggested. So Jeff gets the cookie, but he has to offer Cardone a bite.:)

The lines show the approximate result, although the final pic is not how the balls ended up completely. They had overlayed a graphic, so you couldn't capture the final resting layout picture by itself.

As it happened, as good as the clear-out was, the 10 ball was left as a relatively easy bank for Nevel, but he missed it. So the choice was a good idea for Owen, but he was lucky to escape punishment. I think RA was the best at those clear-em out shots. ~Doc

owen-nevel 3.jpg

owen-nevel end.jpg

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
good call Jeff / Dr. Bill...

I was thinking along the same lines except I would have probably shot the 9 ball into the left side of the 8 ball to take them both away form his side and push some stuff to my side. Leave the CB behind the stack near the 1.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Whoops! I hadn't realized that you'd posted this one a few years ago...:( I'll stay away from Owen-Nevel in future. In Gabe's early recordings he doesn't play very good one-pocket anyway. And Nevel is strictly a shooter.;)

~Doc

Doc
PLEASE KEEP POSTING WWYD
it doesnt matter if its been posted before
or by who
speaking for myself i remember things better by repetition
also many of the new members werent around for the earlier wwyd's
thats why i felt a few reruns would be good