OP / let the cb fly!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Whitey, back in the early 70's I learned to use that jump shot at times to break up the stack when playing straight pool - anybody else here ever use that jump shot playing straight pool?
Yeah, I used it once in a match. I learned the shot from watching one of Grady's tapes. I never think to use it though! Takes a little practice to get comfortable with it, although it's easier than a full jump over a ball. I think it helps to have a harder tip.

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN
Whitey, back in the early 70's I learned to use that jump shot at times to break up the stack when playing straight pool - anybody else here ever use that jump shot playing straight pool?
I used to play a lot of straight pool with John Lavin and he used it all the time and I learned to incorporate into my game. I was amazed the first couple time he used it on me.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Can you jump one over my coronal mask? Maybe I could put a vent pipe on top and hop one into that , from across the room, look out Mike Massey your trick shots are getting wimpy ! lol

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Thanks guys, for posting. Thanks Ghost for adding to my thread by asking the straight pool question. I was actually thinking of that 14.1 break shot when doing this shot. The break where the cb actually skims off the rack and then goes 3 short rails for a shot.

But, this cb jump shot got me back into playing pool, if you can call it that.

For when I hit this town in '94, I liked this little bar called the Buffalo, it had two 8' Valleys, a quarter a game, beer reasonable, and the guys in there were my kind of guys, get their hands dirty, joking, and they like to play pool, well it fit me to the bone. Well after sitting on a bar stool for two years, I decided to get off my ass and play some pool. I did not know it, but I was playing the captain of the pool team. Well the 8 ball cb jump shot came up as I depicted it, and I jumped over his balls in the stack and landed on my balls and broke them out. He never seen anything like that! After that game he asked me to be on the team. So I said, yeah I'll help you guys out. 23 years without picking up a cue plus another 10 yrs. on top of that, I set my table back up.
Thanks guys! Whitey

Last edited: